coastalfreak

Worst fish species you've eaten.

Rate this topic

185 posts in this topic

False albie. Big blues.  

Of things that are ‘supposed to be good’ - Weaks and stripers

surprisingly good - Jack crevalle when I was in Belize. We kept some for dinner, I thought it was gonna be horrible. They dried it or something for a day on the roof. I tried it expecting it to be bad and it was very good. 

“baby” bonito.

with the full grown ones tasting so good - we tried a couple babies from the huge schools that have around the past couple seasons... absolutely disgusting.  trieD several traditional mackerel preparations.  none even close to edible.  we tried pogies too... the baby bonito were WORSE!  worse than albies !

Gator bluefish are downright disgusting EXCEPT when smoked. Most dark/oily fish can be salvaged in a smoker.

Most overrated is striped bass IMO. Every other commonly eaten species in the NE taste significantly better. Even sea robins taste better. Don't get me wrong, you can make it taste good, but it takes a lot more work to make it a enjoyable experience.

Blue fish minus the blood meat and you will throw out half the fish, stripers same thing , skate only if their cleaned promptly after catching.weak fish you can’t freeze .if u want to no what fresh water fish might taste like drink the water..once fish are cleaned properly they can be tasty but it’s not a quick process

Channel cat from the Delaware River. It had a strong chemical taste and I couldn’t eat it. I iced it and cooked it a few hours after catching it. Had enjoyed other channel cats before. Have released any I have caught since. It was truly awful. Go figure.

A buddy and I split a #25 striper from fresh water.. it wasn't  the worst thing I've ever had, but we both thought it tasted exactly like the pond smelled.

1 min ago, ccb said:

When going out I never order catfish or Tilapia    Mushy 

Tilapia for sure. There is this catfish and chicken place by my house that has some nice local catfish that is AWESOME. 

16 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Gator bluefish are downright disgusting EXCEPT when smoked. Most dark/oily fish can be salvaged in a smoker.

Most overrated is striped bass IMO. Every other commonly eaten species in the NE taste significantly better. Even sea robins taste better. Don't get me wrong, you can make it taste good, but it takes a lot more work to make it a enjoyable experience.

I agree that striper is over rated. Almost all the other local fish taste better. 
I’m also not a fan of recently stocked trout. 

I’ve spent a couple years in Japan, and I’ve eaten some raunchy stuff. Dried squid legs, dried anchovies, dried bonito flakes on top of octopus, etc. Mantis shrimp at a sushi restaurant. Whale sashimi was like eating a tire with a strong metallic-iron taste. I can’t remember a lot of it. But man, most of it was disgusting. However, almost all of the sushi I ate was delicious. 

1 min ago, z-man said:

I’m also not a fan of recently stocked trout. 

Oh, yes. Farmed trout or salmon for the supermarket is depressing. I'd rather buy frozen wild fish.

41 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Absolutely overrated. I can’t see how that crap goes for $25/lb or $35/plate. 

Some fish can stand up to any type of cooking, and some want to be treated a particular way. Everything should be bled and iced down for optimal results. 

Having said that, the most notable disappointment came in the form of weakfish. They are easily 10x better looking than eating. Striped bass is in a lesser, but similar vein.