coastalfreak

Worst fish species you've eaten.

Rate this topic

185 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

Dogfish is pretty solid! Have to clean it right away. Remove all guts immediatey. sharks pee through their skin so you can’t let them sit around at all

How do you cook it? 

13 hours ago, CWitek said:

They have a unique taste.  It's not strong or oily, but it is very noticeably different from other fish.  Not sure how to describe it.

But it's a taste that some people (including me) like and some dislike.  Big problem I've found with weakfish is that they soften up very quickly; they need to be iced immediately to prevent that from happening.

The best way to describe how weakfish taste. Make some mashed potatoes and mix some cod liver oil into it. Spread that onto a plate and there you go, you got weakfish. Bon Appetit!

5 hours ago, Always_NoFo said:

How do you cook it? 

Light batter, high heat and pan fry. Wouldn’t know the difference between it and any other white fish

My list of fish species from local waters rated from best to worst to eat.

1. Sea Bass

2. Tog

3. Summer/Winter Flounder

4. Bluefish

5. Dogfish

6. Sea Robbin

7. Striped Bass

8. Skate

9. Linda

10. Weakfish

I limited the list to 10, however, if I listed more species, weakfish would still be last.

6 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Crazy ?

Weakies are some of the best eating fish never had anyone say different until i read this

Anyway i avoid Linda 

I think most people have truly no idea how to prep a fish from beach and boat and to the kitchen. You can make almost any fish taste good if you know your way around a kitchen. That is if the fish was properly taken care of. 

I'm not a big fish eater. Of the fish I have tried, bluefish is the worst. I have had it prepared where it tasted ok, but my opinion is if you need to work hard to make it taste good, don't bother in the first place. 

On 1/11/2020 at 0:19 AM, Ebbtide231 said:

Curious about the folks that dislike strong fish like blues.

Do you also dislike gamey meat like lamb, goat, & venison?

I have noticed that the less a fish tastes like anything the more popular it is.

I like fish like flounder, walleye, or other fish with delecat extra white meat, but they do have less flavor then other species with darker and firmer meats.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:30 PM, ccb said:

I think there in the Trout family?

They are in the drum family which includes black drum, redfish, freshwater drum aka sheephead, croaker etc...

I have yet to taste a member of the drum family from SW or FW that wasn't tasty.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:15 PM, ribeye said:

Cool. I was visiting my dad on the Cayman Brac and caught a good size cuda. I cleaned it and was ready to cook it. A native walks up to me and asked if I going to eat it. He then takes a small piece and places it on some type of ant hill. The ants inspected it and left it alone. His response " Cuda likes to eat poison fish, good for him but would make you very sick ,ant take then good " WTF.

Heard a simular statement in the Bahamas. A guy was telling me that when they catch cuda they fillet it and lay it out in the air.

If flies are attracted to it and land on it the meat is safe, if not don't eat the meat.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:21 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Crazy ?

Weakies are some of the best eating fish never had anyone say different until i read this

Anyway i avoid Linda 

90% of the fish in this thread are prized table fare somewhere.