coastalfreak

Worst fish species you've eaten.

Rate this topic

185 posts in this topic

Large mouth bass . Buddy lost a bet while we camping . When I was cleaning the bass it looked decent . Few min over the fire and the hot garbage smell was crazy .. felt bad and said he didn’t have to eat it .. but being thick as fuuuk in the head he ate it anyways .. 

Going to get a lot of push back on this one but it’s gotta be big bluefish. People say soak it in milk / season well. I have tried both and they both taste bad in my opinion. 

Sting Ray, to be exact Southern Stingray.  It was one of my catch it or starve trips. Either you catch fish and eat them or you don't eat.  The fishing was horrible due to a storm with high winds and heavy down pour with lightning.  I caught two that day, I threw the first one back, but then I was so hungry I ate the second one.  The texture was pasty and the meat was on the bitter side.  Even when hungry it was not good. 

I know the French and people from Asia eat stingray, but I don't think its the Southern Stingray, I believe it's the cow nose. I have not eaten a cow nose. 

7 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

Going to get a lot of push back on this one but it’s gotta be big bluefish. People say soak it in milk / season well. I have tried both and they both taste bad in my opinion. 

I would rate bluefish as "not that bad," but nothing better. If they are fresh, they are ok. 

8 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

Never eaten one but I've heard that from others before. 

Heard the little snappers are delicious though. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Sting Ray, to be exact Southern Stingray.  It was one of my catch it or starve trips. Either you catch fish and eat them or you don't eat.  The fishing was horrible due to a storm with high winds and heavy down pour with lightning.  I caught two that day, I threw the first one back, but then I was so hungry I ate the second one.  The texture was pasty and the meat was on the bitter side.  Even when hungry it was not good. 

I know the French and people from Asia eat stingray, but I don't think its the Southern Stingray, I believe it's the cow nose. I have not eaten a cow nose. 

Interesting. Guys down here eat Atlantic Stingray and say it taste like scallops. I'll have to try it one day. 

Edited by coastalfreak

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Interesting. Guys down here eat Atlantic Stingray and say it taste like scallops. I'll have to try it one day. 

Maybe I didn’t cook it right. This guy, right?

7BDF1CF0-4B7D-4850-845E-6BE72B803E00.jpeg

Edited by fishhappy

Just now, fishhappy said:

Maybe I didn’t cook it right.

It could of just been the species. Maybe the smaller ones are better than the bigger ones. 

18 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Large mouth bass . Buddy lost a bet while we camping . When I was cleaning the bass it looked decent . Few min over the fire and the hot garbage smell was crazy .. felt bad and said he didn’t have to eat it .. but being thick as fuuuk in the head he ate it anyways .. 

Funny, I kept one LMB, about two pounds, took a spinnerbait right through the joint of the jaw, and clearly was not going to recover. Pretty good. I kept a couple little smallmouth when I was a kid, which were awful. I may have let them get too warm, I was a pedestrian back then, and did some substantial hike-in/out.

Bluefish, handled properly, is great eating. It's not a delicate white fish, more like swordfish/shark.