Ryan D.

PSA - Shimano® Stradic FK Spinning Reel sale

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Cabela's has the Shimano® Stradic FK Spinning Reel on sale for $135 and free shipping right now.  

hope this post isn't breaking any rules.  apologies if so.

I saw this and was hoping to get some opinions. I have a daiwa bg 3000. To the price conscious angler, is the stradic going to offer me significant benefits over the bg in the surf? I've heard people complain about the line capacity of the stradic.

6 mins ago, kyleeng said:

I saw this and was hoping to get some opinions. I have a daiwa bg 3000. To the price conscious angler, is the stradic going to offer me significant benefits over the bg in the surf? I've heard people complain about the line capacity of the stradic.

So I have the Spheros Inshore 4000, which is basically shimano's new way of continuing to use stradic parts/tools, and as such it's a stradic Fk-lite. It has the same gearing, mostly the same sealing, same metal body and worm gear oscillation of the FK. It uses bushings in place of 2 bearings, and has the "lesser quality" rotor of the ultegra, other than that, it's basically a stradic FK. I chose to get it for a new rod over getting another BG (I have a 2500), because it offers stronger/smoother gears, better line lay, better sealing, slightly less weight, and probably will last just as long as the BG for only a bit more $. I wasn't ready to plop down $200 for a new reel, so the spheros inshore 4000 was right at the top of my price range, and I only needed a 3 or 4000 size reel. The $100 gift card I had also made it an easy call. The spheros 4000 probably holds about the same amount of line as a BG3000 (220ish yards of 20lb braid). I think it's $120 so even cheaper than that stradic deal, but admittedly between 20-40$ more expensive than a BG depending on sales.

Yes the stradic 2500 is probably a bit small for surf fishing, unless it's for small specks that you'd be slinging 10lb braid at, which might be fun.

The new stradic FL is a whole new ball game, but again, it was out of my price range.

Does this sound about right @scoobydoo?

The only reason I've held off is because I wanted a less complicated reel.  Too many parts for an idiot like me to lose during a cleaning.

10 hours ago, yakscientist said:

So I have the Spheros Inshore 4000, which is basically shimano's new way of continuing to use stradic parts/tools, and as such it's a stradic Fk-lite. It has the same gearing, mostly the same sealing, same metal body and worm gear oscillation of the FK. It uses bushings in place of 2 bearings, and has the "lesser quality" rotor of the ultegra, other than that, it's basically a stradic FK. I chose to get it for a new rod over getting another BG (I have a 2500), because it offers stronger/smoother gears, better line lay, better sealing, slightly less weight, and probably will last just as long as the BG for only a bit more $. I wasn't ready to plop down $200 for a new reel, so the spheros inshore 4000 was right at the top of my price range, and I only needed a 3 or 4000 size reel. The $100 gift card I had also made it an easy call. The spheros 4000 probably holds about the same amount of line as a BG3000 (220ish yards of 20lb braid). I think it's $120 so even cheaper than that stradic deal, but admittedly between 20-40$ more expensive than a BG depending on sales.

Yes the stradic 2500 is probably a bit small for surf fishing, unless it's for small specks that you'd be slinging 10lb braid at, which might be fun.

The new stradic FL is a whole new ball game, but again, it was out of my price range.

Does this sound about right @scoobydoo?

.......that sums it up nicely :)  

LOL

I'm sending 3 franken reels  to Fishaholic or Skinner to give away....haven't figured out who's gettin which......yet

One is a New york Yankee themed Stradic....or....Spheros SW 3k..

All parts swapped......frames flip flopped and alternating colored sides....

The others are Fierce 3 2 and battle 2 swaps...(kinda boring but...whatever lol)

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

.......that sums it up nicely :)  

LOL

I'm sending 3 franken reels  to Fishaholic or Skinner to give away....haven't figured out who's gettin which......yet

One is a New york Yankee themed Stradic....or....Spheros SW 3k..

All parts swapped......frames flip flopped and alternating colored sides....

The others are Fierce 3 2 and battle 2 swaps...(kinda boring but...whatever lol)

Excellent, I based it completely off your video after all....

That's probably pretty fun to just swap parts with reels, but if I did that it wouldn't work out well. I'm still debating swapping out the sideplate bushing for the stradic bearing, but I figure it might not be totally worth it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice. After going through a bunch of other reels (Penn, Daiwa, Van Staal) I now have an all-Stradic FK lineup.

BTW, that price is good, but not all that unusual. eBay typically has a bunch of brand-new FKs for sale in that price range or lower.

Edited by fishinbill

I ordered a couple of these Stradics from Cabelas. They just sent me an email thanking me for cancelling my order. I guess they ran out of the stock.