MartyK

Too Many Online Horror Stories

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

Got one of them new fangled flip phones when phone booths started to disappear and the few that were left went up to a quarter.   Actually, you'd be surprised at my technological understanding.  I just see both the advantages and disadvantages of using it.  BTW, as an admitted chunker I see the need for local tackle shops.  I don't want getting mackerel and clams by mail. 

The few payphones left are 50c. Just noticed there's no cents symbol on my cell phone keyboard, so that disappeared also.

Don't worry, there are plenty of non-online sellers that give you awful customer service too. I like browsing LL bean stores, but I think the only things I've ever purchased from them were a leatherman knife and a bathing suit lol.

Any style of anything I’ve ever found in LL bean I’d be remotely interested in I can but somewhere else for way less money.

Im lucky enough to have a couple tackle shops to use and one of them is huge and has a good online shopping presence.

i recently bought something for the first time from saltwater edge in RI (which is the local shop to a friend of mine)...great price...free shipping and at my door in two days..

my point is......You can shop online and still be supporting a tackle shop rather than a big online retailer.

Since beans back tracked their life time warranty, their stuff is not worth the additional "premium" IMO.  They are in trouble and they know it.  I have been looking to replace my leaky emerger bootfoot wader, the only problem is it's out of stock since forever. 

34 mins ago, catatonic said:

Any style of anything I’ve ever found in LL bean I’d be remotely interested in I can but somewhere else for way less money.

Im lucky enough to have a couple tackle shops to use and one of them is huge and has a good online shopping presence.

i recently bought something for the first time from saltwater edge in RI (which is the local shop to a friend of mine)...great price...free shipping and at my door in two days..

my point is......You can shop online and still be supporting a tackle shop rather than a big online retailer.

Absolutely right.  Both have their place in our economy.

1 hour ago, reel em in said:

Dan you are exceptional.  The best of the best. Always like placing an order with you 

Good luck 

Thank you.  Just doing what I love the way I think it should be done.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Do you work for Bean or something?  KTP sells gear from most of the top of the line outdoor companies. It certainly isn’t poor quality. Brands like Marmot & North Face. Bean sells only their own outdated style clothing at inflated prices. 

z-man, you are correct about KTP quality of goods.  My bad on that one.   My beef is with their pricing policies/advertising.  Twice a year they flood the local market with flyers that include 20-30% coupons.  However, whenever I used to go not the store to use them, practically every item over $50 is "on sale" for 5-10% off, so the coupons don't apply.   I wanted to buy a pair of sneakers for like $100, but they were on sale for $95.   I asked the cashier to charge me full price so I could get $30 off but she said she couldn't.   She was someone I knew, so I asked her what the story was, and she told me they had more problems not honoring coupons than any other problems combined.  I ended up writing to their CEO who actually sent me a credit for the $25 extra I paid.  I appreciated his intervention, but it should not have come down to it. 

BTW, I never worked for Bean, and I don't know a soul who works there.   I have had nothing but positive experiences with returns, orders and customer service.  I was also an adjunct instructor of Consumerism at a junior college years ago. 

9 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You're lucky to have a local shop. 

I have a dicks 

And a shop 15 away that has kietechs and trout spoons 

I do most of my tackle purchase online as well. Tackle shops in my area carry only very BASIC tackles. I still can find this OLD hook from Mustard that "Made in Norway". Go guess :point:

IMG_20200110_080015~2.jpg

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I have ll bean gift cards now for a few years... I can't even find anything on sale that I'd want to buy from them... Fishing wise without the warranty you get better quality elsewhere.. And their wader jackets always failed me... And in terms of clothing style... Nothing I can't get elsewhere for half the price or more... And lasts as long. Plus their styles arent my style (and I don't have any style) 

You're lucky to have a local shop. 

I have a dicks 

And a shop 15 away that has kietechs and trout spoons 

I feel the same way.  After going up there before xmas last year I looked at the prices of their own brand stiff and look at where it is made and start laughing. Across the street at LL Bean discount store I found a pullover marked down to 44 from 69 bucks.  I bought it but you know they paid less then 10 bucks for it from Vietnam.   

The best product I found up at bean was those classic LL bean boots with rubber in it. Made locally, not cheap but worth it. If I wore those type of boots I would have got it. 

I am done shopping at Bean.  My money is spent now at Kittery Trading Post. More likely to find a regular sale up there and they have a great online store.

The days of traditional tackle shops all along the shore are coming to an end. At this point online shopping is the future, I dont think anything is going to stop it. I suspect a select few will remain out of convenience, if they can carve out a niche, or if they can double as an online retailer.     Aside from groceries I would guess 80-90% of all my purchases are online, and I have very few complaints.  If there has ever been an issue, retailers have always made good on it.  

I do enjoy browsing tackle shops and dont have a problem buying from them as long as prices are reasonable, but I would bet in 10 years well have no more than 50% of the local brick and mortar tackle shops we have now.  They just have too much overhead compared to the guys who can sell out of their houses.

27 mins ago, bbfish said:

The days of traditional tackle shops all along the shore are coming to an end. At this point online shopping is the future, I dont think anything is going to stop it. I suspect a select few will remain out of convenience, if they can carve out a niche, or if they can double as an online retailer.     Aside from groceries I would guess 80-90% of all my purchases are online, and I have very few complaints.  If there has ever been an issue, retailers have always made good on it.  

I do enjoy browsing tackle shops and dont have a problem buying from them as long as prices are reasonable, but I would bet in 10 years well have no more than 50% of the local brick and mortar tackle shops we have now.  They just have too much overhead compared to the guys who can sell out of their houses.

Very well stated.  The OP lives in Southern Maine so he actually has multiple options for local tackle shops.  I'm further up the coast and the nearest "decent" full-range tackle shop, which is right near a Wally World, is  70 mile round trip.  Since I collect my own bait, you can guess how I buy my gear, with the exception of Tuna gear as I'm blessed with an internet outfit 7 miles from me that does drop by sales too.

Here's a trick with Bean most of you are probably unfamiliar with.  IF they carry something in the Freeport store like some Penn reels, StCroix rods, etc. these won't show up online, but if you call the store and talk with someone in Fishing, they can arrange to have it sent to you so you can take advantage of sales, Bean Bucks, Gift Cards, free shipping, and now the 1 year warranty...  I actually did this once from KTP when the Penn Clash reels were pretty new.  KTP was charging full price so I called up Bean Freeport, which was having a sale going on, and along with the sale and some Bean Gift Cards, the $200 reel cost me $5 out of pocket because of a 25% off sale and $140 in Bean Gift Cards...

23 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Very well stated.  The OP lives in Southern Maine so he actually has multiple options for local tackle shops.  I'm further up the coast and the nearest "decent" full-range tackle shop, which is right near a Wally World, is  70 mile round trip.  Since I collect my own bait, you can guess how I buy my gear, with the exception of Tuna gear as I'm blessed with an internet outfit 7 miles from me that does drop by sales too.

Here's a trick with Bean most of you are probably unfamiliar with.  IF they carry something in the Freeport store like some Penn reels, StCroix rods, etc. these won't show up online, but if you call the store and talk with someone in Fishing, they can arrange to have it sent to you so you can take advantage of sales, Bean Bucks, Gift Cards, free shipping, and now the 1 year warranty...  I actually did this once from KTP when the Penn Clash reels were pretty new.  KTP was charging full price so I called up Bean Freeport, which was having a sale going on, and along with the sale and some Bean Gift Cards, the $200 reel cost me $5 out of pocket because of a 25% off sale and $140 in Bean Gift Cards...

I guess I am indeed fortunate.  Webhanett, Surfland and to a lesser degree Crossroads are all within 45 minutes, and they all have outstanding customer service.  I don't buy enough new rods and reels to worry about paying a few extra bucks to these places which always provide me with good bait.