Too Many Online Horror Stories

Rate this topic

MartyK

I should preface this topic by first saying that the two local tackle shops I use are models of customer service.  I haven't had to buy a rod or reel in a while, but they are the only places I'd go.  If they didn't carry the exact model I wanted, and couldn't get it, I'd change to something they did carry.    I use them regularly for everything but clothing.  For waders, rain gear, etc. Bean is my go to place.  Yes, they're pricey, but in most cases their quality is better.  They may not be what they once were in terms of warranty, but at least you can get them on the phone and for some of us, actually go to a store.   I have read too many horror stories on this site to want to buy almost anything online.  As Internet purchasing grows larger, more players enter the field and the human factor diminishes, so will quality and customer service.  We're already seeing it and it will only get worse.  Choose wisely where you spend your hard earned money my friends. 

Marty

Additionally you might be dealing with a company that knows nothing about the sport.  I ordered a surf rod off amazon end of December after getting a gift card for Christmas and seeing a good price.  I'm now on return #3 after receiving a Salmon rod, a fly rod, and an ultralight 7 footer, just requested a return.  Shouldnt have cheaped out in the first place I guess.

I have ll bean gift cards now for a few years... I can't even find anything on sale that I'd want to buy from them... Fishing wise without the warranty you get better quality elsewhere.. And their wader jackets always failed me... And in terms of clothing style... Nothing I can't get elsewhere for half the price or more... And lasts as long. Plus their styles arent my style (and I don't have any style) 

You're lucky to have a local shop. 

I have a dicks 

And a shop 15 away that has kietechs and trout spoons 

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I have ll bean gift cards now for a few years... I can't even find anything on sale that I'd want to buy from them... Fishing wise without the warranty you get better quality elsewhere.. And their wader jackets always failed me... And in terms of clothing style... Nothing I can't get elsewhere for half the price or more... And lasts as long. 

Every year you don't use them they lose value with increase in prices . . . has to be something LL Bean offers you can purchase with them?   Besides, they are gift cards, found money.  I'd sell them on the BST if you don't want to use them.

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

8 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

Guy still uses pay phones. 

Got one of them new fangled flip phones when phone booths started to disappear and the few that were left went up to a quarter.   Actually, you'd be surprised at my technological understanding.  I just see both the advantages and disadvantages of using it.  BTW, as an admitted chunker I see the need for local tackle shops.  I don't want getting mackerel and clams by mail. 

Marty

1 hour ago, cartopper said:

Every year you don't use them they lose value with increase in prices . . . has to be something LL Bean offers you can purchase with them?   Besides, they are gift cards, found money.  I'd sell them on the BST if you don't want to use them.

Or, buy something for a family member. Especially, people who don’t fish much would be happy anyway and wouldn’t know the difference.

51 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Duck boots, Tote bags and dog beds are all great from LL Bean...other than that not so much...

I actully like their boat shoes.

I used to buy he original Topsiders, but maybe half a dozen years ago, they apparently changed the material they used for the soles, resulting in soles that regularly split when you bent them; I actually split the sole of a brand-new pair that I was trying on one day, right i the store.

Went to the Bean shoe a few years ago, and have no complaints.  They're now my standard.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

I'm an LL Bean credit card holder, and as such get free points toward merchandise.  I have trouble using them only because the stuff I buy lasts so long, I don't need to replace it.   My favorite purchases there are sweatshirts, but I have too many.  My next purchase will be bed sheets.   Right now Bean is offering 20% off across-the-board.  BTW, if you really want to waste money on poor quality, try Kittery Trading Post.   I pass by it all the time and avoid it like the plague. 

Marty

20 mins ago, MartyK said:

I'm an LL Bean credit card holder, and as such get free points toward merchandise.  I have trouble using them only because the stuff I buy lasts so long, I don't need to replace it.   My favorite purchases there are sweatshirts, but I have too many.  My next purchase will be bed sheets.   Right now Bean is offering 20% off across-the-board.  BTW, if you really want to waste money on poor quality, try Kittery Trading Post.   I pass by it all the time and avoid it like the plague. 

Do you work for Bean or something?  KTP sells gear from most of the top of the line outdoor companies. It certainly isn’t poor quality. Brands like Marmot & North Face. Bean sells only their own outdated style clothing at inflated prices. 

4 hours ago, MartyK said:

I should preface this topic by first saying that the two local tackle shops I use are models of customer service.  I haven't had to buy a rod or reel in a while, but they are the only places I'd go.  If they didn't carry the exact model I wanted, and couldn't get it, I'd change to something they did carry.    I use them regularly for everything but clothing.  For waders, rain gear, etc. Bean is my go to place.  Yes, they're pricey, but in most cases their quality is better.  They may not be what they once were in terms of warranty, but at least you can get them on the phone and for some of us, actually go to a store.   I have read too many horror stories on this site to want to buy almost anything online.  As Internet purchasing grows larger, more players enter the field and the human factor diminishes, so will quality and customer service.  We're already seeing it and it will only get worse.  Choose wisely where you spend your hard earned money my friends. 

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with online sellers but not all have poor customer service.  As an online retailer I don't like being painted with the "online companies bad" brush.  The implication that all online companies have bad customer service is just not accurate.   In the 10 + years I'm doing it I've had complaints for sure but in most cases they were errors of omission and were quickly and easily resolved.  The 2 or 3 that were something else were cases of misunderstanding or miscommunication.  In those situations I offered a return guarantee that was better than any other company.  It has never been used.  My reputation means more to me than money.   I also know a few other online tackle makers, one of them also here on SOL and they all have the same feeling about customer service.  

-

I stopped buying from LL Bean when I had issues with a sleeping bag I bought from them.  I bought a pair matching zip together bags.  My wife used one but I didn't open the other until a year or so later. When I did the bottom was ripped and patched back together with safety pins.  An obvious return that LL Bean had not inspected thoroughly.  Well when i took it back to the store they said the model was discontinued and they didn't have a bag that zipped with the one my wife was using.  They wouldn't replace the pair or even replace my torn bag and give me some kind of discount on a matching replacement for the wife.  (We wanted ones that zipped and I have plenty of single bags.)

So no more LL Bean.

I do a lot of internet shopping.  I general research before I buy and have very little success.  Have had very good service from some of the small vendors here on this site. 

13 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with online sellers but not all have poor customer service.  As an online retailer I don't like being painted with the "online companies bad" brush.  The implication that all online companies have bad customer service is just not accurate.   In the 10 + years I'm doing it I've had complaints for sure but in most cases they were errors of omission and were quickly and easily resolved.  The 2 or 3 that were something else were cases of misunderstanding or miscommunication.  In those situations I offered a return guarantee that was better than any other company.  It has never been used.  My reputation means more to me than money.   I also know a few other online tackle makers, one of them also here on SOL and they all have the same feeling about customer service.  

Dan you are exceptional.  The best of the best. Always like placing an order with you 

Good luck