Yakman85

Lets see your herring flies!

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, Yakman85 said:

Wow those are some big flies. Im guessing atleast a 10wt rod to cast those chunky girls. 

I fish a nine weight most often and can honesty cast those on an 8wt without any issue. Those flies are probably lighter than a lot of Clousers out there...gives the illusion of bulk without much to it. 

I do have bob popovics book about tying those style of flies. I just never had to right length buck tail for them. What hook size and style do you recommed for a 8wt? Also what kinda of hackle due you use for the tail?

13 mins ago, Yakman85 said:

I do have bob popovics book about tying those style of flies. I just never had to right length buck tail for them. What hook size and style do you recommed for a 8wt? Also what kinda of hackle due you use for the tail?

I think people do assume you need super large Deertail to tie these, when really you can get by with 4”-5” fibers. The mono extension provides the length and the hollow ties fill in the profile. I tie most of those on Partridge’s Universal Predator hooks in 8/0, but I’m not super picky so I think there might be a hook or two that isn’t a Partridge—I just look for something that’s heavy enough to keel the fly properly and choose black nickel if I can as it’s more susceptible to rust which, hopefully, allows it to rust out of a fish should I break one off (I also crimp all of my barns as well). One of those is on a 5 or 6/0 Daiichi that’s very heavy I know, not sure of the model. 

As for hackle, that came from a saddle from, I believe, Sideling Hill. He’s a smaller bird operation out of PA but I’m a fan and he very often has a beautiful range of colors in each bird. That dun saddle for those grey feathers has all types of tan, black, and grey, hues. The white feathers probably came from a Whiting bugger pack, a very good deal for only twenty bucks, in my opinion. 

Edited by Ftyer

1 hour ago, JRT said:

They are are beautiful ties Ftyer. Perfect proportions and profile. If I had tied that hollow fly I would be framing it.

I appreciate the kind words! It’s a really fun fly to tie but one that’s even more fun to fish, haha!

On 1/10/2020 at 11:02 PM, flyrodder44 said:

Thanks Graveyard, I am going to try to tie something for LMB using your technique.  Stay tuned.  FR

The original designer of that fly is Rich Murphy its called the Conomo Special. I have merely adapted it to my needs.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, HillTop said:

Finally added a collar with more mixed color kanekalon and dressed the top with some crystal flash and longer darker blue and purple kanekalon.

Do you have a source for kanekalon that you recommend?