Yakman85

Lets see your herring flies!

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

New to the forum. I joined this forum hoping to both share and learn info about fly fishing and tying. I fish the upper section of the hudson. I also trout fish in the catskills once the striper run is over. Since the stripers in the hudson follow river herring (alewives) I tend to use bigger bait fish patterns. Im looking for some ideas of flies to use the might fool these hudson river stripers. I fish a 8 weight so I try to tie as sparse as I can. I attached a photo of the flies I fished last season. I tied these my self. Im a self taught fly tyer. So Im always looking for some constructive criticism on my flies. If you see any issues with length, bulk or colors please let me know. I kinda favored the bondorew bucktail last season. I really have a feeling that pattern will catch my first striper on the fly. Anyway if you guys are willing to share I would love to see some examples of herring flies to use for this spring. Thanks

20200108_192453.jpg.40f571af2f6fac43905ddababa174663.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some from 2018 and 2019.  Plus a beast from Andrew Custom and a Slammer from Ian Devlin.  The last one was my hot fly of 2018.  It landed 7 fish over 30" and one 42" 26lber its been retired because it caught that personal best fly rod striper wade fishing.  I prefer to use a 11'2" 10wt TH OH rod or the 12wt model of same rod.  They can be cast on a 9wt but its a lot of work and distance can be frustrating if wind picks up.  Love the 12wt 90' cast on windy days are no problems with a 500grain 30' head

477DED99-49E6-4D5F-A168-DC36A39C5741.jpeg

6596F1F7-5A2D-404A-AEF9-56EC958E00F8.jpeg

96F09CB8-23EE-4992-80B5-08621874FC51.jpeg

0833D301-1CBA-4456-9008-23192EAF771A.jpeg

98A0BE94-1107-45FB-9BAD-DE186550B54D.jpeg

74B5EBC1-4146-4A6A-B4E2-1F9850CAF74F.jpeg

61554AAE-EA0D-43B0-AFC6-9A1C7A15867B.jpeg

95E01317-A3F8-4853-BAD7-BFACE77FF222.jpeg

CAB4108F-46F2-4F9B-85A7-4D87FF822FBD.jpeg

5C1513B4-8395-468E-ADE8-8C51FDF1CCC5.jpeg

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

14 hours ago, Yakman85 said:

I tend to use bigger bait fish patterns. Im looking for some ideas of flies to use the might fool these hudson river stripers. I fish a 8 weight so I try to tie as sparse as I can.... I kinda favored the bondorew bucktail last season. 

You're on the right track. The Bondorew Bucktail will certainly serve you well. Below are a few examples of the style of large flatwings I tie. As you've learned, they cast small and fish large. If you visit my website you'll find all kinds of information like recipes and how I fish them. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Bombardier

Bombardier.JPG.bb44c9a90dfd814108496c1a4983f7be.JPG

Rock Island

5e174225926e6_RockIslandFlatwings.JPG.2cf37cf391c6cb72172de2cc05ba5f91.JPG

Crazy Menhaden Variant

Crazies.JPG.5f1e1e047797dc12d8840cf73cee234a.JPG

Steve Culton

That's a pretty fly HillTop.  You have tying instructions for this?  Would like to make some. Also, how do you get the hook to ride up?  Did you weight the shank??

I used this version during the December sea herring run in NJ , back in the day.

Worked really well and lights up in the water.  Light and easy to cast.

IMG_4392.JPG

Graveyard:  What is the material you used on the heads of these flies and your source?  Did you use a hardening agent to make the heads less pliable?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

That's a pretty fly HillTop.  You have tying instructions for this?  Would like to make some. Also, how do you get the hook to ride up?  Did you weight the shank??

Conch,

Don't have a SBS but might generate one the next time I tie one up  (bunker imitation next).

I pretty much used kanekalon hair (wig hair) throughout.      Tail was white kanekalon with white saddle hackles as well as white saddle hackles that I colored with Copic pens.  (recently bought a Copic spray unit for better control and color mixing). 

Body was a custom brush that I also made from kanekalon where I mixed white, a little green, and two shades of blue along with some crystal flash.   Brushes are fun to make and allows one to be creative with color.   To get the hook pointing skyward I've attached one of my custom stainless steel rattles to the hook shank, so I get a two for one hit with weight I need and a rattle at the same time. 

I recently made a link to the rattle thread and if interested:  

Finally added a collar with more mixed color kanekalon and dressed the top with some crystal flash and longer darker blue and purple kanekalon.

HT

Thanks  HT.  Never made brushes but have been watching a bunch of videos lately about them.  I agree with you that the possibilities are endless when it comes to materials and color combos. I add my  rattles via ez-body then attach off the back of the hook shank..

Flyrodder44.  The heads are done with EZ-Body.  The fly I posed has the EZ body under the eyes.  I use it as a spreader for the material. The image is not the best and I need to work on my camera skills..You can then coat them as you like with a thin coat of epoxy or UV resin, either the hard or flex...A thin coat of  Liquid Fusion or RTV would probably work as well.  Bunch of options..

Wow you guys are all very talented tyers! I haven't tied a fly with synthetic material yet. By the looks of it I need to start. Here my attempt at a razzle dazzle.

20200109_181958.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, 27conch said:

Flyrodder44.  The heads are done with EZ-Body.  The fly I posed has the EZ body under the eyes.  I use it as a spreader for the material. The image is not the best and I need to work on my camera skills..You can then coat them as you like with a thin coat of epoxy or UV resin, either the hard or flex...A thin coat of  Liquid Fusion or RTV would probably work as well.  Bunch of options..

5 hours ago, flyrodder44 said:

Graveyard:  What is the material you used on the heads of these flies and your source?  Did you use a hardening agent to make the heads less pliable?  Thanks.

Flyrodder / Conch,

A cost effective alternative to purchasing EZ-Body at a fly shop is to look for Cyberlox / Crin at some of the hair specialty shops.   The larger size comes at 16mm (5/8") but there is also smaller diameters available.   It's not as tightly woven as the EZ-Body material but you can't beat the price, and if you're going to coat with epoxy, Liquid Fusion, or FlexSeal then the looser weave holds the materials fine and it works just as well.    

A quick search found this on Amazon.

HT

crin.jpg.11dc44eff178f22f282d0fb93d131ca1.jpg

Edited by HillTop

On 1/9/2020 at 2:42 PM, flyrodder44 said:

Ez Body in 1/2" and 3/4" size color pearl purchased through Bears Den online store.

I harden with softex.  Softex bleeds the color of copic marker so I color tubing add softex and blend the color into the adhesive.  I do it carefully to make sure the lines are clean it takes a bit of practice.  Softex has enough strength it retains shape and pushes water but will collapse when a big fish bites so there is little to no impact on hook gap.  I like 1/2" tubing with 6/0 hooks and 3/4" with 8/0.  I like Owner Aki but you can use Gama SL12S.  I had the Gamas bend on me but others swear by them.  They cost less than the Akis too.  Kona also has a good hook but I have yet to test it myself