JoeP

2020 Daiwa Saltiga released ... Daiwa Australia Site

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

22 mins ago, iat814 said:

Is there any performance reason why they did away with the ported spool?

Daiwa's said it is for better watertightness. 

8 hours ago, dennysnook said:

If you get an update on any service changes, or the paint problems please let me know. Service prices through friends are still coming back very high, and both my 4k and 5k are sitting because they need gear repair and about worthless cosmetically. Need the lightest 8k super spinner possible for what I am doing now with spanish and trying to shed weight from my 8k 2013. Basically 8hrs of nonstop repetitive casting throwing weightless spoons so distance is crucial, then you have to fight off 5 sharks circling the boat at all times to get them in or you lose an $7 spoon so need torque. Is crueling work and your arms are ready to fall off by days end, which questions why they didn't implement spool cuts to shed more weight? Having had 2 or 3 local reels crack the Zaion rotor, would assume that is why they abandoned it as well.

Atlantic Spanish mackerel or barred Spanish in the land down under?

2 hours ago, tiizzyy said:

Looks like the changed the drive gear from C6191 bronze to G1 duraluminum which they used in some of their bait casters but a colossal gear like the bg in this Saltiga. lot of changes

That C6191 bronze has been a great gear material. Hopefully the new material holds up like the old. 

Dennysnook's in Florida, so it'd be Atlantic Spanish mackerel.  I'm sure he'd be delighted to find narrow-barred mackerel around his boat, though. ;)

Alas for the lack of fish that need a Saltiga near me, in Long Island Sound.  

Any idea when they will be released to the market?? I wish they stuck with the blue color or even just black and silver. I do think the older model looked better aesthetically.

9 hours ago, Grayson said:

Atlantic Spanish mackerel or barred Spanish in the land down under?

Screenshot_20200105-100404_Snapchat.jpg.28c74e0cdefa6fbd199ab905c1330f12.jpg

That's the load we did a few days back. Has been a slow season so ended with 849lbs that day, biggest being 6.74lbs which any fish over 4lbs has alot of speed and power. Typically you can let them run themselves out in any other senario, but not this year with the HEAVY shark and dolphin presence. Used to be an issue maybe a few times a day, now it's every fish, every spot. Kind of exciting playing race the bull shark, until you lose or even when you win and are huffing and puffing after you landed a 5lb fish. Puts alot of extra pressure on your body which is already broken down from the mackerel grind. Keeping my eye on this Saltiga because those few ounces vs my 8k Stella are very welcomed

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pricing is going to be in the 1000$ range

Edited by scoobydoo

On 1/9/2020 at 3:46 AM, dennysnook said:

Screenshot_20200105-100404_Snapchat.jpg.28c74e0cdefa6fbd199ab905c1330f12.jpg

Keeping my eye on this Saltiga because those few ounces vs my 8k Stella are very welcomed

If your 8k is the 2013 model then you can save about 2oz in weight going with the 2019 model. In the 2013 model the 8/10/14k stellas shared the same sizes rotors, in the 2019 the 8k gets its own unique smaller rotor hence the weight savings. 

1 hour ago, Jetex2801 said:

If your 8k is the 2013 model then you can save about 2oz in weight going with the 2019 model. In the 2013 model the 8/10/14k stellas shared the same sizes rotors, in the 2019 the 8k gets its own unique smaller rotor hence the weight savings. 

I know, but is a tough sell with the review breakdowns. Gunna drop that type of coin, I want the best reel for the job. 6k has enough torque, but only have the PG and doesn't keep up with the spoons. Need to try out an HG before I commit to a bigger reel, so using what I have. 5k 2008 struggles

11 hours ago, dennysnook said:

I know, but is a tough sell with the review breakdowns. Gunna drop that type of coin, I want the best reel for the job. 6k has enough torque, but only have the PG and doesn't keep up with the spoons. Need to try out an HG before I commit to a bigger reel, so using what I have. 5k 2008 struggles

Have you tried the Slammer 6500HS?

On 1/10/2020 at 9:27 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

Have you tried the Slammer 6500HS?

No, had a 4500 but gave it to my nephew. Too heavy for this application, and does not have the torque of Stella/Saltiga due to the gear size and creates alot more reeling effort. Testing a HS reel for them now in the size below that, and it doesn't fit what I'm looking for for the same reason with gearing