JoeP

2020 Daiwa Saltiga released ... Daiwa Australia Site

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Yeah, they've given up the Zaion rotor. I like the resin rotor - i like how it looks. And there could never be corrosion problems with it. 

I think the reel looks elegant, prefer this look over the 2015 model. the weight and line capacity looks similar to previous model. looks like this reel same amount of ball bearings the BJ has. id imagine the smaller sizes to be very similar to the BJ in term of specs. has similar handle design as certate lt 5000 which is nice.

1 hour ago, Tailslap said:

Not sure I like the new look. Prefer the silver/blue of the past. I was looking into the 4000 bay jigging reel. How do you like it. 

I just picked it up during one of the post Thanksgiving sales...but I know someone who's had one for (I think) two seasons and really likes it. One thing I do like right off the bat is that it feels a bit smaller or more compact over the 4000H 2015 saltiga I had, but sold. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, glos said:

Aand, it has no mag seal.

Alan is chirping..

It has magsealed ball bearings and the pic on the first page says “magsealed body”

Edited by jk20a3

That main gear looks beastly, as for the rotor I liked the Zaion a lot other than how they had screws thread into it. After repeated takedowns I eventually noticed the Zaion threads becoming deformed/warn...something you don’t have to worry about with aluminum. My biggest hope though is that they improved the paint. I love my 2 Saltigas but would be lying if I said the paint didn’t start chipping after one outing on my beautiful 5500H. As for the spool, sexy...but needs some cuts or something imo, I always thought as Stella = Prestigious look and Saltiga = Sharp Agressive look. 

Gosh darn it. I didn`t catch it. They emphasized MQ and don`t mention it in article..

so that flaw still stays..

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, jk20a3 said:

My biggest hope though is that they improved the paint. I love my 2 Saltigas but would be lying if I said the paint didn’t start chipping after one outing on my beautiful 5500H. 

Yes, true. And they're susceptible to 'bubbling corrosion' on the body. I hope it's been fixed. 

I thought the 2015 Saltiga had a sort of retro look - reminded me a bit of older cars with straighter lines (the body shape). It still looked a little like the Saltiga Z (which looks old fashioned now, but it appeals to me). You could see that's what it had developed from - it still had the rectangular shape. 

This new one looks something like a giant Certate LT (pretty cool). 

Edited by Steg

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

How in the world does it even remotely resemble a stella???????????

It's Dark Blue and gold...no rotor cuts...different frame design all together.

No clue why they ditched the arched zaion rotor......I guess that awesome feature wasn't an awesome feature........................Weird....

I wonder if it saved weight overall....

If you get an update on any service changes, or the paint problems please let me know. Service prices through friends are still coming back very high, and both my 4k and 5k are sitting because they need gear repair and about worthless cosmetically. Need the lightest 8k super spinner possible for what I am doing now with spanish and trying to shed weight from my 8k 2013. Basically 8hrs of nonstop repetitive casting throwing weightless spoons so distance is crucial, then you have to fight off 5 sharks circling the boat at all times to get them in or you lose an $7 spoon so need torque. Is crueling work and your arms are ready to fall off by days end, which questions why they didn't implement spool cuts to shed more weight? Having had 2 or 3 local reels crack the Zaion rotor, would assume that is why they abandoned it as well.

On the Daiwa Japan site, where there's a bit more said about the reels, it is claimed the paintwork has been improved. I've seen it mentioned twice there, but only briefly mentioned. 

"Seawater can damage the appearance of the reels. At the 20 Saltiga, the body and rotor were completely redesigned from groundwork to painting, and durability was greatly improved." 

2 hours ago, Steg said:

On the Daiwa Japan site, where there's a bit more said about the reels, it is claimed the paintwork has been improved. I've seen it mentioned twice there, but only briefly mentioned. 

"Seawater can damage the appearance of the reels. At the 20 Saltiga, the body and rotor were completely redesigned from groundwork to painting, and durability was greatly improved." 

I saw that too, I figure for them to mention something like that specifically that they acknowledged the issue. 

Looks like the changed the drive gear from C6191 bronze to G1 duraluminum which they used in some of their bait casters but a colossal gear like the bg in this Saltiga. lot of changes

2 hours ago, jk20a3 said:

I figure for them to mention something like that specifically that they acknowledged the issue. 

Yes, that's what I thought. Daiwa has in a way admitted there was a problem with the paintwork on Saltigas. It'll be great if it's truly better now.