JPSmith29

Looking for new surf setup

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hi all! I am brand new to this site so any tips as to doing things on here the right way please let me know. 

I am looking for a new surf setup for stripers for this coming season. I am still fairly new to surf fishing, only have 2 seasons of inconsistent fishing under my belt. I will be graduating college this May so budget does come into play but I am still looking for quality gear that will last me at least a couple of seasons. I will be fishing anywhere from the canal south into Rhode Island with most of my fishing taking place in the New Bedford area of mass. I do love to hit the canal with that making up most of my fishing 2 seasons ago. This past season I still made at least 15-20 trips there but mostly stayed closer to home. this past season it was made up mostly of fishing a rip that forms at the inlet of a salt pond on an open sand beach and at a small point between the mouths of two rivers with many bars around forming some nice channels. At both of these spots I mostly throw 1/2oz al gags, 3/4 - 1 1/2 oz bucktails, super strike little necks, darters, and needle fish, and some Gibbs pencils. This season I’m looking to explore some more and maybe hit some more exposed beaches and rocky areas as well as venture out in rough, storm conditions. Outside of the canal I have yet to catch anything over 36 inches but hope this season will be different. 

My current setup is a penn carnage 2 10” 1-5oz paired with a penn battle 2 5000. I love this setup. I also have a tsunami shield 5000 that I loved for a season and used a lot but last season gave me nothing but issues with wind knots constantly so did not see as much action as the battle 2

I was thinking about maybe going for a 9” rod in the 3/4-3 oz range to have a bit more of a lighter setup as the carnage is a bit overkill for these spots. I had the tsunami trophy series 2 9” 3/4-3 oz in mind for the rod. As for the reel I had the penn spinfisher vi in mind. At the salt pond rip I do wade out a ways and my reels do get splashed so I’m looking for something that will be able to handle get sprayed and on occasion partially submerged when caught of guard. I am not sure what size reel would be best though as I do like to have my reel be able to handle the canal as well for when friends visit and want to join me on a canal trip but would also like to have a bit lighter setup to have more fun with these school sized fish but also handle some bigger fish when I do find them. I was also thinking about maybe going for the bailless version which does make the sizes for this reel to the 4500 and the 6500

any input and help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

I would keep that setup for use at the canal, and look for a lighter setup for the other things your looking to do. I recommend the ODM genesis 10ft 3/4-4 paired with a spheros 6000. I used this combo for almost 2 seasons before I upgraded and its bulletproof. 

55 mins ago, MikedNJ said:

I would keep that setup for use at the canal, and look for a lighter setup for the other things your looking to do. I recommend the ODM genesis 10ft 3/4-4 paired with a spheros 6000. I used this combo for almost 2 seasons before I upgraded and its bulletproof. 

Thank you for the input. The genesis is definitely a little out of the price range for me. I’m looking around a max of $200ish for rod and about the same for the reel. Would be nice to stay under those if possible but am willing to go slightly over if necessary. The spheros seems like a solid reel though and will definitely be towards the top of the list

10 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

Hi all! I am brand new to this site so any tips as to doing things on here the right way please let me know. 

I am looking for a new surf setup for stripers for this coming season. I am still fairly new to surf fishing, only have 2 seasons of inconsistent fishing under my belt. I will be graduating college this May so budget does come into play but I am still looking for quality gear that will last me at least a couple of seasons. I will be fishing anywhere from the canal south into Rhode Island with most of my fishing taking place in the New Bedford area of mass. I do love to hit the canal with that making up most of my fishing 2 seasons ago. This past season I still made at least 15-20 trips there but mostly stayed closer to home. this past season it was made up mostly of fishing a rip that forms at the inlet of a salt pond on an open sand beach and at a small point between the mouths of two rivers with many bars around forming some nice channels. At both of these spots I mostly throw 1/2oz al gags, 3/4 - 1 1/2 oz bucktails, super strike little necks, darters, and needle fish, and some Gibbs pencils. This season I’m looking to explore some more and maybe hit some more exposed beaches and rocky areas as well as venture out in rough, storm conditions. Outside of the canal I have yet to catch anything over 36 inches but hope this season will be different. 

My current setup is a penn carnage 2 10” 1-5oz paired with a penn battle 2 5000. I love this setup. I also have a tsunami shield 5000 that I loved for a season and used a lot but last season gave me nothing but issues with wind knots constantly so did not see as much action as the battle 2

I was thinking about maybe going for a 9” rod in the 3/4-3 oz range to have a bit more of a lighter setup as the carnage is a bit overkill for these spots. I had the tsunami trophy series 2 9” 3/4-3 oz in mind for the rod. As for the reel I had the penn spinfisher vi in mind. At the salt pond rip I do wade out a ways and my reels do get splashed so I’m looking for something that will be able to handle get sprayed and on occasion partially submerged when caught of guard. I am not sure what size reel would be best though as I do like to have my reel be able to handle the canal as well for when friends visit and want to join me on a canal trip but would also like to have a bit lighter setup to have more fun with these school sized fish but also handle some bigger fish when I do find them. I was also thinking about maybe going for the bailless version which does make the sizes for this reel to the 4500 and the 6500

any input and help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

The 9' Tsunami is a good choice for what you're doing, and is a very good rod for the money. Yes spending an extra $80-100 will get you a lighter more responsive rod, but that also doubles the purchase price of the rod.

As for reels, I'll be the first to tell you that the 5500 Spinfisher is a good reel, but will be a bit heavy for that rod. The 4500 Spinfisher is a good reel too, but may feel a bit small in the hand on that fishing rod. They are not designed to be dunked, but are OK from splash resistance. I have a current 4500 on an 8' rod and its a great match. I have a Spinfisher V (prior gen) on a 10' rod and it's a good match.

Shimano makes a great reel, and the Spheros and Saragosa are water resistant, like the Spinfisher. If you like your Penn reels, stick with the 5500 Spinfisher, because it's definitely a better canal reel if you want to dual purpose it.

If you were not wet wading, I would have 100% told you to buy a Daiwa BG 4000. I just put that on the exact 9' Tsunami for a buddy of mine here in NJ. 

Come to RISSA show in Providence, RI and check 9' - 10' Black Hole USA surf rods.

If you like to buy $200 rod, I recommend 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rods.  We are introducing 9' Black Hole Striped Bass Special rod and you can see the rods at the show.

But the rods will be available in April or May before striped bass season starts.

The price will be around $300.

See the 150 cm yellowtail ( 60 - 70 lb) using 9' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 3/4 oz - 4 oz rod from the rock.

stripedbasssyellowtail2.jpg

If you like the Carnage and the Battle 2 why not look at either of those 9 foot offerings. The 1/2-2oz model and a Battle 4K would make a very nice light outfit. Personally, I think the heavier 9 would be very close to the 10 you have and basically throw the same stuff.

i would definitely check out the blackhole suzuki rods in either 9'6 or 10 for $200. solid rods and super light. me n my pops both ran spinfisher vi 4500 all year. good reels but definitely has it issues. one was replaced because the main n pinnion gear got chewed up and wouldnt shim properly even when gears were replaced. the other definitely has a subtle knock that can be very annoying.  

2 hours ago, redfin said:

If you like the Carnage and the Battle 2 why not look at either of those 9 foot offerings. The 1/2-2oz model and a Battle 4K would make a very nice light outfit. Personally, I think the heavier 9 would be very close to the 10 you have and basically throw the same stuff.

You make a great point. I already know both the rod and the reel and I am definitely a big fan and have no complaints about either. The 3/4-3oz may be a little close to the one I already have but my thought on getting that one was that it would still have the potential to double as a canal rod as a backup for me or for a friend to use while also handling the lighter lures i use and smaller fish that I find closer to home
Also only reason I was looking away from the battle 2 is to get something that will be able to handle spray a little better as I find my way into some more intense surf situations

great points to think about! Thank you

3 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

The 9' Tsunami is a good choice for what you're doing, and is a very good rod for the money. Yes spending an extra $80-100 will get you a lighter more responsive rod, but that also doubles the purchase price of the rod.

As for reels, I'll be the first to tell you that the 5500 Spinfisher is a good reel, but will be a bit heavy for that rod. The 4500 Spinfisher is a good reel too, but may feel a bit small in the hand on that fishing rod. They are not designed to be dunked, but are OK from splash resistance. I have a current 4500 on an 8' rod and its a great match. I have a Spinfisher V (prior gen) on a 10' rod and it's a good match.

Shimano makes a great reel, and the Spheros and Saragosa are water resistant, like the Spinfisher. If you like your Penn reels, stick with the 5500 Spinfisher, because it's definitely a better canal reel if you want to dual purpose it.

If you were not wet wading, I would have 100% told you to buy a Daiwa BG 4000. I just put that on the exact 9' Tsunami for a buddy of mine here in NJ. 

Exactly why I was looking at the tsunami as I have heard many good things about it although I definitely do love my carnage. 

I do like my Penns so that’s why I am leaning a little more towards the spinfisher or if it really came down it the slammer 3 but I have heard that the two are pretty similar minus a few small things. 
have you had any issues with your spinfisher vi? I have heard things both ways on them, some absolutely loving them with no issues while others have complained about nothing but issues

The St. Croix avid surf is $200 on Tackle Direct right now. It’s a really good rod and I’ve been using it every day since August.

I also recently got an ODM D.N.A. which is really nice. I would like to put a few better fish on it though.

An Avid surf and a Spinfisher would run you about $350. The ODM is $50 more than the Avid right now. Best part about the St. Croix is that their warranty program is by far the best in the rod industry.

21 mins ago, ASrod said:

The St. Croix avid surf is $200 on Tackle Direct right now. It’s a really good rod and I’ve been using it every day since August.

I also recently got an ODM D.N.A. which is really nice. I would like to put a few better fish on it though.

An Avid surf and a Spinfisher would run you about $350. The ODM is $50 more than the Avid right now. Best part about the St. Croix is that their warranty program is by far the best in the rod industry.

Looking now I see it at $330-340 depending on which model from 9-10'.  If it is truely $200, ill buy one right now

1 min ago, wellman324 said:

Looking now I see it at $330-340 depending on which model from 9-10'.  If it is truely $200, ill buy one right now

Disregard... I see which model you are discussing now.  Thanks for the heads up

I fish areas similar to you, typically a bit further north. For the majority of this year, I used the 9'6 black hole Suzuki paired with a Daiwa BG 4000 and found it pretty perfect for essentially any outer harbor or open beach area I fished. Didn't get into any 20+lb fish with the setup yet, but with heftier schoolies from 26-31 inches you have plenty of backbone in the rod to get the fish in quickly for a good release but still feel a solid fight as the rod is so light. I think the Suzuki casts well down to 1/2oz using 20lb Suffix 832, but I don't really feel comfortable throwing the larger SS 2.75 oz little necks with full force. I think that throwing 1.25-1.75oz felt great, the set up really bombed lures out there - ss needles, the smaller ss little necks, sp minnows, etc. You could consider pairing the 9'6 Suzuki with a Slammer 4500, which is apparently on sale now, and be looking at a total of ~$350 for a solid setup that is splash/dunk resistant and a reel that could be used at the canal as well.