Bread Truck Chassis Swap

J

52 mins ago, Jimichanga said:

This looks like one of the dumbest ideas I have seen on this site.

Please keep the pics coming, I do dumb **** all the time. The only difference is your results could be awesome.  When I do dumb **** the upside is probation.

:laugh: 

On 1/5/2020 at 9:35 PM, The Riddler said:

I like the idea J.  There was some good information online on p-30 , bread truck, panel truck conversions to 4 x4.  I saw a Gruman for sale up in VT.  Maybe the owner can give you some info for converting. 

http://classicvehicleslist.com/other-makes/150799-1978-grumman-kurbaster-4x4-van-ultimate-4wd-van.html

72799C13-EA28-4269-887C-693C8EBE68C6.jpeg

This vehicle is rolling arroung Dennis on Cape Cod now/

There's no need to blow smoke up my ass as a lengthy preamble to your insulting another person. It doesn't fool anyone and it doesn't garner any favor.

TimS ---Tim To Otshawytsha October 16 2018 #3956

• 3 weeks later...

Been slowly pecking away at this as my health allows. It's a very slow process. 

I got the nose off and started on the dash after taking the seats out. Found a whole lot of sticky change under those front seats.... Yuk! 

IMG_20200820_114346645.jpg.9569386f9e718ccf38cdf2743d3cca8b.jpgIMG_20200820_114440365_HDR.jpg.6c22271747f1765075de779c7d16ae68.jpgIMG_20200820_114427124_HDR.jpg.9623c6dcd8df89c0c3a348bd5ef8d564.jpgIMG_20200820_114406924_HDR.jpg.b68e7612d5720c772434f29ca02f0749.jpg

My hope is to eliminate as much as possible. Like the OnStar.... pollution control crap. I'll either buy a new ECM or send this one out to be reprogrammed. 

I'm hopeful I can keep this heater core and with it the AC. Something the old van did not have.

The van's floor pan (driver and passenger area) will be cut away and a new dash will be fabricated along with a new floor pan and engine cover.

Looks like I'll be working on this for a long while.....  

Don't fret, I'll make up for that by letting it sit for months again.... :D 

Just pulled the steering column. 

I could be wrong but it looks like the OnStar on this model is a stand alone unit. 

It appears I may be able to pull it out without it screwing with the transmission and other operations in the vehicle. 

At least I'm hoping that's the case. If not, I'll just leave the antenna and mic unplugged. I think it is an analog model but I'm not sure. I can't tell if it is a gen 4 or gen 5 model. 

I won't be needing to pass emissions testing. Should I go through the trouble of removing all the smog equipment and having the ECU reprogrammed or just leave it be? 

Edited by J

3 hours ago, J said:

I won't be needing to pass emissions testing. Should I go through the trouble of removing all the smog equipment and having the ECU reprogrammed or just leave it be? 

It may not run worth a damn (or at all) if the brain is not receiving all of the inputs from the assorted emissions stuff.

55 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

It may not run worth a damn (or at all) if the brain is not receiving all of the inputs from the assorted emissions stuff.

That is why I would have the ECU reprogrammed. If I don't, all the stuff stays and gets plugged in... 

A buddy used the same engine in a race car and that's what he did. Stripped it all down and had a reprogrammed ECU put in. You can buy them or ship yours in and have it reprogrammed. Mine looks rather new. I suspect it was replaced rather recently. 

Label, and bag all hardware, and keep the stuff organized.

When reassembling a hybrid vehicle like this, you never know what hardware bracket, or plug you will need to get things working right.

There are weekend warrior welding classes at my local community college(pre covid), maybe there is something like that up in RI? A decent welder, for a hobbyist, can be had for a couple hundred at Harbor Freight. If you did that, you could stretch the frame to match the bread truck, and box the frame to add strength.

Lots of possibilities here, in this project. Prepare for double the cost, in time and money, than what you plan on, and realize you will never sell it for what you put into it.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

• 2 weeks later...

A have a couple friends who will do all the welding for free. One said "If you even try to buy me a case of beer as a thank you I will punch you in the face".... So, the welding part is all set. I have a supplier for all the steel too. 

The frame will need to be cut on both ends and brackets for the front bumper and the rear lift-gate welded into place. I'll also need brackets and body lifts with mounts welded on as well. 

As for all the wires, everything is marked. Most are different than one another and cannot be plugged into anything but it's mated pair. So even if the printed tape falls off, I'll still be able to figure it out by a process of elimination. Much of it won't be re-used. Ignition, HVAC and radio controls I plan on using. The rest will not be plugged in unless the engine does not start. In the event it does not run. I'll plug everything back in, including the OnStar. I'll assume it will run with everything plugged in. At that point, I will start removing those things I don't need until I run into a problem. Trial and error. My hope is to keep it as stripped down as much as possible. 

There are a few creature comforts I'd like to retain. That entails using the steering column. Cruise control, intermittent wipers,  radio controls....

I'd also like to jury rig power door locks. I think I can use the solenoids in the Suburban door to actuate a custom pin on the Step Van door. Lastly, I'd like to add a remote start feature. 

BTW, I currently have the whole dash removed. All that's left is to pull all the wiring through the firewall and disconnect the emergency brake, the accelerator assembly and the brake assembly. Once that is done, the back seats come out, the carpet comes out to expose the chassis bolts, wires get disconnected along with the gas fill  and then I have to get the body lifted off.