J

4x4
Bread Truck Chassis Swap

74 posts in this topic

So I've been using this 1988 P30 Bread Truck as my daily driver since 2013.  I'm disabled and don't drive a whole heck of a lot. I got it with 54K miles on it and it now has 61K. 

My spine if fused across 9 levels. 6 in my neck and 3 in my lower back. I'm still very active but my neck has little movement and this vehicle makes it easy for me to get in and out without me bumping my head on the roofline. It also allows me to sit in an upright position pain free. It's my version of a pick up. It also has a liftgate that is a godsend when it comes to moving heavy stuff. 

Biggest issue is that it sucks in the snow and I'd like to get it on the beach. That being said, I'd like to make it 4x4. 

Being on a fixed income, having an outfit do it for me is out of the question. I have 3 sons and plenty of friends for help but I plan on doing much of the work myself. This means  90% of my time will be planning and 10% work. 

I have a 2003 Suburban with 100K miles on it in great working condition that I will be stripping the body off of. The body has one spot of rot and I hope to get rid of it on CL.... 

Here's the van, body is all aluminum...

5e126ffd53533_Van1988P30.JPG.a0ddf02d3bb55eda7e7d9cd1cdf2cf2e.JPG

Figured I'd tell you about the project before I got started.

I found this on YT. Not quite what I plan on doing but you get the idea.... I plan on keeping the original steering and interior the same or as close to original as possible. I'll fully restore the chassis before marrying them too. 

I'll post the donor vehicle pics tomorrow. You'll think I'm nuts for taking it apart.

I't's it pretty damn good shape. 

I got it from my best friend for next to nothing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

J, is the bread truck a dual rear wheel.  Just thinking, if it's a single 4 wheel could you add a 4 x 4 suspension and drive system to it. I'm no mechanic. But please do keep us informed. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

I like the idea J.  There was some good information online on p-30 , bread truck, panel truck conversions to 4 x4.  I saw a Gruman for sale up in VT.  Maybe the owner can give you some info for converting. 

http://classicvehicleslist.com/other-makes/150799-1978-grumman-kurbaster-4x4-van-ultimate-4wd-van.html

72799C13-EA28-4269-887C-693C8EBE68C6.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would have to wonder what if OP sold the suburban and the bread truck and bought the Connecticut older one that is done already, wonder which way would be less cost?........Jack 

Edited by Bulldog
Spellin of kourse!

19 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I like the idea J.  There was some good information online on p-30 , bread truck, panel truck conversions to 4 x4.  I saw a Gruman for sale up in VT.  Maybe the owner can give you some info for converting. 

http://classicvehicleslist.com/other-makes/150799-1978-grumman-kurbaster-4x4-van-ultimate-4wd-van.html

72799C13-EA28-4269-887C-693C8EBE68C6.jpeg

Nice! I wonder what he wants for it. My experience has been, they want way more than I want to spend.

10 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I would have to wonder what if OP sold the suburban and the bread truck and bought the Connecticut older one that is done already, wonder which way would be less cost?........Jack 

Link?

I'm into the two of these vehicles for under $5K.

I have all the time in the world on my hands to do this and no deadline. 

I also like a project. Finding ways to do things in my condition is what makes it fun. 

To give you an idea, this is my spine.

103F1440.jpg.f697d0f1bda57790f0e93d15d4780b28.jpg20140117_190917_zpsbdrbql0f.JPG.10f9fb532b60086ec5d2a6a979c7d743.JPG5e13aa914d28e_Feb520140003_zpsqf7ef86q.JPG.0b083c82125f15a618f522b023e5d17a.JPGstraight_on_zpstqvfvk8o.JPG.4169bedbc4ba4cfa2b99d34b01943eea.JPG

9 mins ago, J said:

Nice! I wonder what he wants for it. My experience has been, they want way more than I want to spend.

I sent the seller an email. I would think it would sell for 15-20. 

I also have a neuro/muscular disease from a gene mutation RYR1 it causes Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis.

It's a very rare disease. Meds keep it under control most of the time but cold, heat and excitement can leave me partially paralyzed with only 20 to 40% use of my muscles. It lasts for 3 hours to a few days when it comes on. One of my sons has it too but he becomes totally paralyzed. We just work around it when it happens.