AKotoun

Cordless Drill Batteries dead

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

All,

I have two Dewalt cordless drills. One is 14v and the other a 12v. Both batteries are dead and I get the rapid red flashing light when I put them in their respective chargers. 

any tips? Possible to buy new batteries or is it bend over time and basically the same price or a little more to get a whole new set up?  Not married to Dewalt. 

The batteries are so expensive ,I usually just buy a whole new kit.I've owned a lot of different brands and DeWalt is as good as any and better than most .I had a Hitachi that damn near caught on fire while charging a while back so....If you're looking to upgrade look at Festool, Fein or Matabo but be prepared to shell more money.

Some are serviceable in a sense . If you can split them open , out are made of rechargeable c cell batteries . If you can use a voltmeter and a soldering iron there is hope .

Much easier and as cheap to buy some aftermarket NiMH batteries off Amazon or Ebay, better than the NiCD originals.  2 pack of 14.4v 3.6ah for $30 shipped. Like $17 for a single.  If my 20 year old DeWalt 14.4 drill wasn't literally falling apart, I'd still be buying batteries for it.

Before I switched to Dewalt 20v tools I used to have 12 and 18v batteries rebuilt at Batteries Plus. Much cheaper than new batteries and lasted longer.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

Much easier and as cheap to buy some aftermarket NiMH batteries off Amazon or Ebay, better than the NiCD originals.  2 pack of 14.4v 3.6ah for $30 shipped. Like $17 for a single.  If my 20 year old DeWalt 14.4 drill wasn't literally falling apart, I'd still be buying batteries for it.

Are these safe? Ie not going to catch on fire in the charger etc. this is in my house basement so bit on the line. Sounds like a good option otherwise. 

thank you 

3 hours ago, AKotoun said:

All,

I have two Dewalt cordless drills. One is 14v and the other a 12v. Both batteries are dead and I get the rapid red flashing light when I put them in their respective chargers. 

any tips? Possible to buy new batteries or is it bend over time and basically the same price or a little more to get a whole new set up?  Not married to Dewalt. 

Black Friday you could hsave gotten 2 18volt batteries for $100 at one of the box stores.

most times it cheaper to just buy another drill and get 2 batteries for what you are gonna pay for one.  every once in a while though you will find a killer deal but its usually around fathers day or christmas

last year 2 of my Milwaukee batteries went.  $90 a piece.  ended up getting an impact gun with 2 batteries for $100 on sale.

49 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Black Friday you could hsave gotten 2 18volt batteries for $100 at one of the box stores.

most times it cheaper to just buy another drill and get 2 batteries for what you are gonna pay for one.  every once in a while though you will find a killer deal but its usually around fathers day or christmas

last year 2 of my Milwaukee batteries went.  $90 a piece.  ended up getting an impact gun with 2 batteries for $100 on sale.

Problem with the tool combo plan is they often come with like 1.5ah batteries not 3ah or better.  His 12 & 14v tools were likely older and made for NiCads, not expensive Lithium batteries.

@AKotoun  Those 2 for $30 batteries are just fine, and will not start a fire, I've bought like 3 or 4 aftermarket tool battery packs over the last decade or more, and some custom packs for work from some of the same people.  I think it's only LiPO's anyway that are known for fires.

I learn a long time ago do not put the drill away with a dead battery , always have a charge on it , I do a full charge before it is put away , this will extend your battery packs life  a lot , I think , do chime in an correct me if I am wrong ,   

39 mins ago, gellfex said:

Problem with the tool combo plan is they often come with like 1.5ah batteries not 3ah or better.  His 12 & 14v tools were likely older and made for NiCads, not expensive Lithium batteries.

@AKotoun  Those 2 for $30 batteries are just fine, and will not start a fire, I've bought like 3 or 4 aftermarket tool battery packs over the last decade or more, and some custom packs for work from some of the same people.  I think it's only LiPO's anyway that are known for fires.

Yea the 2 pack I just got on Black Friday for $100 where 2 amp.  The one I got free with with the 12M right angle with the switchable chucks was a 6 amp.

This will work ONLY if they are below their charging threshold.  Plug the charger into a outlet strip that has a switch, flip the switch on and off fast. Might take a hundred or twenty times, but eventually the light may change and it will take a charge.

I have had good luck with the aftermarket 5A batteries from Amazon for my Milwaukee stuff. Half price of Mfr and I can't see a difference after 2 yrs.Use these on my Sawzall , circular saw and leaf/dust blower - a little heavy for my drill (unless I was doing a deck) so I use the original 2As on it and my jigsaw.

Regards

Puck

Edited by speedwell

Bought a no name Li battery with charger for cheap. No issues at all, holds charge well between uses and weighs a couple lbs less than original nicad 

hold on to dead tools...

Milwaukee has a trade in deal that is pretty good and they run this once a year or so...

as for tools, to the extent that they're apples to apples, i buy milwaukee M18 and now that i have spare batteries, i save on buying tool only option.