coastalfreak

.40 S&W - Still relevant?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

With very impressive technology in smaller cartridges like the 9x19, is the .40 S&W still relevant? Or even cartridges like .45 ACP? It’s impossible to not like throwing bowling balls down range, but are these larger cartridges still hold their own against the 9? 

Its literally the only semi auto caliber I've kept. Plenty of power, easily controllable if you know how to shoot, ammo is plentiful and not much more than 9mm. I dig it. 

1 hour ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Its literally the only semi auto caliber I've kept. Plenty of power, easily controllable if you know how to shoot, ammo is plentiful and not much more than 9mm. I dig it. 

That’s what I have always figured. People call it weak but the numbers show differently... 

I have 11 boxes you can have.......Actually you don't want it.   I looked up lot number and found that there was a recall.

Here is a kaboom I had when the back of the case blew off.  Black mark is powder burn where it shot around trigger. 

This was 12 years ago and weapon was a Beretta 96.    If I had shot this ammo out of the Glock 27 I owned it could have been ugly.

I don't own any 40s anymore.  I'll stick with 9mm,10mm and 45 ACP

kaboom.jpg

6 hours ago, D1fishr said:

PSP had a variant of those Berettas in .40SW. I’m surprised we don’t hear more about cartridge mishaps. 

I don't think it was the Beretta's fault.   Federal had a recall on certain lots of .40 American Eagle.     I never saw the recall as I never had a reason to look for it.

I think I have 10 boxes that I won't risk shooting.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:23 PM, coastalfreak said:

With very impressive technology in smaller cartridges like the 9x19, is the .40 S&W still relevant? Or even cartridges like .45 ACP? It’s impossible to not like throwing bowling balls down range, but are these larger cartridges still hold their own against the 9? 

I like pistols MUCH More than revolvers.

When I wanted to add more pistols to my collection the ? was which caliber, 9mm or .40 S&W.

I chose 9mm and am glad I did.

The 21st-century science of bullet technology and "stopping power" convinced me that the 9mm would do what  I wanted it do w/ the advantages of  less weight, recoil, and muzzle jump.

And if you live in a state that does not restrict magazine capacity, 9mm pistols hold more ammo, another plus.