Big Biscuit

Anyone Here Use the Vortex?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience using the Vortex? If so I could use a little help for tomorrows cook. I want to do some chicken thighs with some indirect high heat. I'm looking to have some crispy skin and some moist meat. What do you suggest, and what tips do you have?

2 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

It's a stainless steel cone that you use to grill. Just another toy to tinker with.20200105_183713.jpg.45de4d4b85236347ad931dbe2a303137.jpg

Hell of an idea!

Let us know how it works out

1 min ago, Sudsy said:

Hell of an idea!

Let us know how it works out

It makes high-heat indirect grilling easy. I was able to grill those 10 thighs at 475- 500 degrees indirectly in about 45 minutes without any flare ups or flipping them. The skin came out super crispy and the meat was nice and juicy. 

It makes high-heat indirect grilling easy. I was able to grill those 10 thighs at 475- 500 degrees indirectly in about 45 minutes without any flare ups or flipping them. The skin came out super crispy and the meat was nice and juicy. 

Been close to hitting "buy" on  that a time or two.  Is the "inside" direct heat rocket hot?

Ok im buying one, did you get the real one or a knockoff?

37 mins ago, Little said:

Been close to hitting "buy" on  that a time or two.  Is the "inside" direct heat rocket hot?

Yes the inside gets rocket hot.

33 mins ago, Little said:

Ok im buying one, did you get the real one or a knockoff?

I got the real one went on their site and followed it to Amazon. 

1 hour ago, Big Biscuit said:

Yes the inside gets rocket hot.

I got the real one went on their site and followed it to Amazon. 

I bought it, and I blame you.

I got a knockoff.  People put these things in kamados, i want to look into that

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Little said:

I bought it, and I blame you.

I got a knockoff.  People put these things in kamados, i want to look into that

lol!:howdy:

Now I think I have to buy one of them fancy gourmet grates for the 22" kettle. They're the ones with the removable piece in the center. Thought I was going to melt my grate when I made the thighs.

Screenshot_20200107-193030_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Big Biscuit

20 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

lol!:howdy:

Now I think I have to buy one of them fancy gourmet grates for the 22" kettle. They're the ones with the removable piece in the center. Thought I was going to melt my grate when I made the thighs.

Screenshot_20200107-193030_Chrome.jpg

Had one of those and HATED it.  The wok thing is cool, BUT every time you pull the grate out the &##(@* middle part flops off and rolls around the patio.  Drove me nuts.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:27 PM, hobobob said:

That would make a ring of killer jerk wings in no time flat.

Chicken is on sale at Shoprite where I live, going to load up on wings and fryer chickens. Going to do a lot of cooks in the weeks to come. I loaded up up on Royal Oak briquettes in December. Lowes was selling it at$4.99 for a 15.4 lb. bag. So I bought 10 of them mother fudders.