Beachglass Guru

Circle hook rigging - to bridle or not to bridle

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, mark d said:

what would bob the garbage man say to this ?

No brainier

Approved by Bob; its not Yozuri

On 1/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, FishinMortician said:

Don’t be nervous about trying the technique of hanging baits down, or bridling, or Dangles, as they all work very well. The new rules regarding circles will only work to reduce your catches if you fail to learn a new style of presentation. Embrace the idea and develop your style, and you will wonder why you were ever worried. I wouldn’t even consider baiting up a standard hook today.

This

As we get older we are falling into pattern of  doing things same way, always and always.

New things are "starting" to be uncomfortable for us.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:05 PM, Popasilov said:

This

As we get older we are falling into pattern of  doing things same way, always and always.

New things are "starting" to be uncomfortable for us.

I thought some folks were facing a new regulation, having never tried circles before. They got to now.

A LoopKnot will allow the hook to flop about better than a snell. Live baitfish get swallowed head first, helps if hook can then flip, then exit the gullet aligned to encounter lips. 

Cut bait is different and so a snell knot is a best choice there. Cocked hook.

The No Knot Snell is outstanding with a bait that isn’t actively swimming. There are several loop knots, so look for one you can actually form correctly. None are impressively strong. 

I want to help folks that are needing to learn something new. Let me know if you have questions.

1 hour ago, FishinMortician said:

I want to help folks that are needing to learn something new. Let me know if you have questions.

Only like 1000s questions, lol.

No, just kidding

Thank you

I do bait very, very, very, rarely.

Two occasions that I can think about

If my 7 years old is with me, I may set up small rod with clam or shrimp for porgie.

Or

Setting up a big rod to for small shark or ray, but, then again, if my kid is with me.

Otherwise, no bait fishing for me.

You will see your hook up ratios go up with bridled baits. Two ways to do this 1) Small hair ban usually black or clear the cheapest way you can get them at local CVS or Walgreens 2) Tie with wax thread a Mustad 1/0 or 2/0 9174 live bait hook to the circle hook and hook chunk on small hook and circle will be exposed. Still can’t figure out how to bridle a eel. Lmao 

what happens to the dangle + sinker when fish picks up the bait?

do they generally engulf the whole thing ? or sinker rides along and rests wherever alongside / outside their mouth?

does that limit how heavy / large a sinker you generally throw with these rigs?

thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

what happens to the dangle + sinker when fish picks up the bait?

do they generally engulf the whole thing ? or sinker rides along and rests wherever alongside / outside their mouth?

does that limit how heavy / large a sinker you generally throw with these rigs?

thanks

Sinker is clipped to the dangle - when the rig hits the water it un-clips on impact with the water.

You can throw any sinker you want to.

A sinker clip, home made, per 1st image, as I doubt you can get them in the US, will be just fine

image014.jpg

image004.jpg

image003.jpg

Sinker clip.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

40 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Sinker is clipped to the dangle - when the rig hits the water it un-clips on impact with the water.

You can throw any sinker you want to.

A sinker clip, home made, per 1st image, as I doubt you can get them in the US, will be just fine

image014.jpg

image004.jpg

image003.jpg

Sinker clip.jpg

I call that set up a pulley rig... The purpose of a pulley rig is to hold the baited hook close to the weight so that it become one big pile of weight and stays together until it hit the water... 

Edited by sytheteacher

I've been using elastic thread to keep clam and mack/pogie chunks from flying off the circle hooks on a cast. Called "shirring" thread at your local craft/needlework/knitting store. Found it easier and more durable/less obvious than elastics.

11 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

I call that set up a pulley rig... The purpose of a pulley rig is to hold the baited hook close to the weight so that it become one big pile of weight and stays together until it hit the water... 

Sy,

You could set it up as a pulley rig, but typically we set up with a crane combination swivel

Crane Combination Swivel.png

Edited by ZAFisher

21 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Nonsense