Capt.Castafly

Quonochontaug Breachway (Boat Ramp)

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

There's a few ramps around with little or no use. Bristol ramp by the Veteran's home was one for many years. The State made improvement and now the property is useful.

The ramp behind Monahan's Clam Shack never gets used, There is parking in the lot for two trailers, but you will find tourists parking in those places.

Quonnie ramp was another.

Sakonnett Point, Melville, Island Park,  I bet there are a lot of others too that seem abandon.

 

Lot's of clammer's fishermen, bathers, kayaker's, families use Quonnie Pond every day during the season.

What if there were  an emergency? Town fire departments need quick access. That's one reason for the improvement.

How many people get swept off the rocks in Narragansett each year?

Fire Department across the street launch there, save so much time, able to respond much quicker be on the scene in minutes.

Imagine the Coast Guard coming from Salt Pond how long that would take.

Just a point to consider.

Capt, just one aside. Don't most of the SOCo town FD's keep their boats in the water in season at least?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spend a lot of time at Quonny surfcasting, kayaking and clamming. If you avoid the ramp area on the weekends you should do fine. The problem is going to be the lack of trailer parking when this ramp becomes more popular. I have seen it happen when CT "improved" the Barn Island and Bayberry Lane ramps. Every yahoo heading to the Block slaughter packs those ramps every weekend. The Quonny Beach Assoc. will not be happy either, you will see trickle down due to the increased traffic on the road in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westhavendave said:

Capt, just one aside. Don't most of the SOCo town FD's keep their boats in the water in season at least?

 

I would presume each seaside town would have a Harbor Master's boat already in water.

Not sure if it's available to other quasi agency like fire dept. rescue. Some major ports like North Kingstown have much larger boats in the water for fire fighting besides rescue.

Each town is different depending on their own dilemma and risk factors.

I've been inside a few fire stations in my time and they all had inflatables inside. They need to be ready to cover rivers, lakes, floods, shallow estuaries too.

Maybe some don't depending on their geography.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I would presume each seaside town would have a Harbor Master's boat already in water.

Not sure if it's available to other quasi agency like fire dept. rescue. Some major ports like North Kingstown have much larger boats in the water for fire fighting besides rescue.

Each town is different depending on their own dilemma and risk factors.

I've been inside a few fire stations in my time and they all had inflatables inside. They need to be ready to cover rivers, lakes, floods, shallow estuaries too.

Maybe some don't depending on their geography.

Watch Hill has a nice asset, just have to man it.FB_RI_Watch-Hill_051618-06226.jpg  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

"How many people get swept off the rocks in Narragansett each year?"

 

on average, what, one?

 

honest question.

I'd guess two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

"How many people get swept off the rocks in Narragansett each year?"

 

on average, what, one?

 

honest question.

You know why maybe one ?.... The town of Narragansett was sick and tired of putting there rescue teams at peril and risk a half dozen times a year.

Those areas now get closed and the barricaded during storm surges allowing no one access. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a ride to Quonnie today and it looks like the ramp is done and ready to go !  All the equipment is gone and it looks like you could launch there right now.  Not sure if there is any more grading of the parking lot still to go, but nothing is roped off and I didn't see any signs to keep you out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, optimist said:

Took a ride to Quonnie today and it looks like the ramp is done and ready to go !  All the equipment is gone and it looks like you could launch there right now.  Not sure if there is any more grading of the parking lot still to go, but nothing is roped off and I didn't see any signs to keep you out.

Thanks for the up-date. Any pictures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, jayp195 said:

Years ago in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, the harbormaster put bleachers in so that the locals could come down and watch the craziness........"we got a 18' SunRay, but we only use it twice each summer!"  The never-ending supply of those type of people in that area can supply a lot of laughs and even more cringes on a weekend morning.

JP,

I was a spectator of that bag of laughs.

I'd walk down from Asbury Avenue on Sunday morning, pick up a large coffee and a bagel on 1st avenue and the Sunday paper. 

 

I witnessed boats. sliding off trailer 30 feet short of the water,  fist fights and the occasional Divorce!  

Thanks for the memory! Have a good week end.

 

i used to rent a house 100 yards from the Boat Launch across the Pond from the above mentioned boat ramp. It was at thee bottom of the Road across the highway from the Bait & Tackle Shop.

 

Good Times.

 

Do you think RI will be opened to out of staters come June?

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.