Capt.Castafly

Quonochontaug Breachway (Boat Ramp)

Rate this topic

108 posts in this topic

This boat ramp is totally unnecessary. They should’ve kept quonny pond how it was. Good place for kayakers, small boats and fly fishers. No need for a big boat ramp. Hopefully it’s not too intrusive to the pond 

13 hours ago, OceanBanter said:

This boat ramp is totally unnecessary. They should’ve kept quonny pond how it was. Good place for kayakers, small boats and fly fishers. No need for a big boat ramp. Hopefully it’s not too intrusive to the pond 

….pretty selfish statement on your part...….

No not selfish at all. Why do they need a new gigantic boat ramp that will interfere with fishing in the pond? There was already a reasonable boat ramp that can fit boats of all sizes. If someone can’t use a boat ramp maybe they shouldn’t own a boat or they can find a better ramp. 

Having used that old boat ramp at Q it sucked, really poor design trying to bring a boat in or out of that ramp at the tide change was very difficult on a good day. Maybe you are a Master Mariner but not everyone is and the boat ramps are for everyone. Will this ramp increase traffic yup sure will, as a resident of Ctown it will be bad for maybe 2 months a year, so suck it up butter cup and move nothing you can about it now anyway. 

Well I think this ramp is totally out of place and I will keep complaining about it. Also I’m not a boater but I would think that people who own boats are capable of driving them. I just think it’s a shame that quonny will become super busy with boat traffic. But what can you do

41 mins ago, OceanBanter said:

Well I think this ramp is totally out of place and I will keep complaining about it. Also I’m not a boater but I would think that people who own boats are capable of driving them. I just think it’s a shame that quonny will become super busy with boat traffic. But what can you do

^^^   that explains it all...………..

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

im against it just for financial reasons.

this state is nuts, fiscally.  

money is probably from the federal govt, lic fees, etc; this state won't do nothing for the general public...….

36 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

it being like it was kept a lot of people away from using it, which is a good thing. 

true....but know a lot of guys in that Charlestown, westerly, hopkington area that really like the easy access to the fluke grounds.....

2 hours ago, OceanBanter said:

Well I think this ramp is totally out of place and I will keep complaining about it. 

There's a few ramps around with little or no use. Bristol ramp by the Veteran's home was one for many years. The State made improvement and now the property is useful.

The ramp behind Monahan's Clam Shack never gets used, There is parking in the lot for two trailers, but you will find tourists parking in those places.

Quonnie ramp was another.

Sakonnett Point, Melville, Island Park,  I bet there are a lot of others too that seem abandon.

Lot's of clammer's fishermen, bathers, kayaker's, families use Quonnie Pond every day during the season.

What if there were  an emergency? Town fire departments need quick access. That's one reason for the improvement.

How many people get swept off the rocks in Narragansett each year?

Fire Department across the street launch there, save so much time, able to respond much quicker be on the scene in minutes.

Imagine the Coast Guard coming from Salt Pond how long that would take.

Just a point to consider.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

There's a few ramps around with little or no use. Bristol ramp by the Veteran's home was one for many years. The State made improvement and now the property is useful.

The ramp behind Monahan's Clam Shack never gets used, There is parking in the lot for two trailers, but you will find tourists parking in those places.

Quonnie ramp was another.

Sakonnett Point, Melville, Island Park,  I bet there are a lot of others too that seem abandon.

Lot's of clammer's fishermen, bathers, kayaker's, families use Quonnie Pond every day during the season.

What if there were  an emergency? Town fire departments need quick access. That's one reason for the improvement.

How many people get swept off the rocks in Narragansett each year?

Fire Department across the street launch there, save so much time, able to respond much quicker be on the scene in minutes.

Imagine the Coast Guard coming from Salt Pond how long that would take.

Just a point to consider.

great points Cap

agree 100% with what you said