Capt.Castafly

Quonochontaug Breachway (Boat Ramp)

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Here it is January 2020 and it looks like very little progress is being made on the new, repositioned boat ramp at the end of Quonnie Breachway.

Except for a few stakes, nothing looks like it's getting done, just equipment stored there. It seems a shame, since all this snowless winter weather we've been having, no works is getting done.

Does anyone know if this project is supposed to be finished by the start of the fishing season. When did they first start this project. Was it right after Labor Day they closed off the parking lot? 

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

Haven't heard much on any projections with completion of the project. I'll check CRMC site. They should limit boating access there not increase it, too many close call at the mouth.

CRMC probably turned the project over to the RI-DOT.  If that's the case then the new boat ramp should be completed and ready for service by mid-April 2027...on time and on budget!

Project definitely had a start date in the contract, they “started” it, now the state is paying a daily rental fee for the Jersey barriers and anything else there.

Remember how long the Camp Cronin jetty rebuild took? In fairness, this should be easier and take less time. In theory (this is RI after all).

Perhaps the state will be kind enough to install bleachers alongside the ramp so that we can enjoy the ClusterF, especially on weekend mornings.

It took them a long time to rebuild the launch at the Great Island Bridge, why would this one be any different?

On 1/5/2020 at 11:36 AM, jayp195 said:

Perhaps the state will be kind enough to install bleachers alongside the ramp so that we can enjoy the ClusterF, especially on weekend mornings.

They could sell PSL's for it. Strong moon tide on a hot Saturday always brings out the best boat rage in the water and lot. Plus, I'm sure the salt pond coalition is thilled w the states intentions.

Years ago in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, the harbormaster put bleachers in so that the locals could come down and watch the craziness........"we got a 18' SunRay, but we only use it twice each summer!"  The never-ending supply of those type of people in that area can supply a lot of laughs and even more cringes on a weekend morning.

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

Problem is the state of RI would catch on, install a PA system, and charge admission. :p

The State is already installing the overhead automated camera mechanisms to charge every boat that launches here.

It looks like the same equipment used to fee truck drivers on our highways now.

49 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

The State is already installing the overhead automated camera mechanisms to charge every boat that launches here.

It looks like the same equipment used to fee truck drivers on our highways now.

I'll swing by tomorrow afternoon to give it a look. Like to see how they're going about this and how it's setup.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:15 PM, jayp195 said:

Years ago in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, the harbormaster put bleachers in so that the locals could come down and watch the craziness........"we got a 18' SunRay, but we only use it twice each summer!"  The never-ending supply of those type of people in that area can supply a lot of laughs and even more cringes on a weekend morning.

When were looking to buy a boat in Florida, my wife and I used to go to the boat ramps in Florida to get an idea on what type would be the best fit for us.  I can tell you, sitting at a boat ramp for a while is an eye opener.   It is something to see.   I can't tell you how many boats we saw just drift away, not to mention the 3 or 4 submersible pick up trucks, ½ hour attempts to back down the ramp, it goes on and on.  One day while we were watching, a Florida game warden wandered over, leaned on the railing next to us and said, "it never gets old, I wish they would make a sit-com out of this, it'd be the funniest show on tv".