Gwiz

Surf bag ?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

In the market for a new bag. This one will be a 3 tube one. Want to go light. Don't want to go nuts $$$$ $150 max. Would like tubes big enough to handle fat lures like stick shads. 

Scope up Rothco Canvas Medic Bag......measures about H 12" x L 11" x W 3"...…$15 maybe.  Or,  some other such military surplus medic bag

I bought a similar military medic canvas bag 20+ ago.  Forgot where, maybe Go Bananas in Wareham or some Army and Navy store.  Had to jerry rig a shoulder strap for it, but no big deal.   Used it as you described....to go light and maneuverable.  Served me well...indestructible...still use it.

I bought clear plastic florescent light protectors at Home Depot.   Cut them to the height of the bag.   2" diameter.....was able to fit about 4/5 tubes in the bag....stuffed a lot in that bag.....sling over your shoulder and behind your back and your set to walk the beach......casting, catching fish with both hands free.  

If you jump up to $190 you can get a 3 tube Gear Up surf bag. Sailcloth material and the right size tubes. You could also  put up a Want To Buy thread in the main BST for a lightly used one for around $150. This bag will be the best bang for your buck IMO. I have a 2 and a 3 tube made by them. Nice bags. 

68E0863F-93C7-4B60-888F-3DF96972E42C.jpeg

2F7C2427-488D-4B68-8390-3654F2CFA635.jpeg

Edited by Tailslap

8 hours ago, kombi_rs said:

My buddy keeps pressuring me to get a gearup, i've been looking at canyons and hear good. 

I second the gear up, I have a 2 tube and its a very very well built bag. Maybe not as nice as my Commando but at half the price its more than enough bag and would definitely suit your requirements in regards to carrying capacity and durability.

28 mins ago, jackattack said:

$190 Wow 

gear up and bend over

Don’t forget your $50 Yeti white bucket and your $250 Van Stahl pliers and you will look quite fabulous on the canal!

:)

And your selfie stick...…………...

3 hours ago, jackattack said:

$190 Wow 

gear up and bend over

Don’t forget your $50 Yeti white bucket and your $250 Van Stahl pliers and you will look quite fabulous on the canal!

:)

Sailcloth is the best material for a surf bag IMO. Gear Up makes the cheapest one you can get. Just not having your hooks get stuck in the material of the bag and the fact that sailcloth doesn’t absorb any water is reason enough for me. The thing will last forever. Not a bad deal actually. 

Edited by Tailslap

I have the 3 tube Gear Up and like it very much and picked up a nice 4 tube MAK bag at the RISSA show a few years ago for short money because it had a tiny imperfection that doesn’t affect performance at all. Both bags have been very good and would get my recommendation. If you can get to RISSA or another show you might be able to get a deal on a great bag with a small imperfection or a bag they don’t want to pack up again and take back. 

For that budget check out Dark Star Surfcasting.  No website yet but they usually are at the shows. The bags are made of sailcloth.  They are usually at the shows and probably will be at Striper Day.  They have a facebook page.

About 10 years ago I bought a husky tool bag at Home Depot for around $30. Many interior pockets, large compartments, and shoulder strap. Wears like iron. Looks like new after years of abuse.

ll bean has a sailcloth bag for $150. Was given this 2 years ago and it has taken a beating. Not perfect, magnetic closure isn’t as secure as I would like, secondary bungee-type latch is a pita. Also unhooked the useless back pad and tossed it. Real basic bag. 4 tubes, pretty tough. It seems like it will last.

+1 on both the GUs and the tool bags.

I bought a used GU 3T some 5 years ago.  I've had it out at least a couple hundred times, dragged it over jetties and riprap, tried (inadvertently) to crush it more than once by slipping and falling on it, stuffed it until it bulged I don't know how many times, and it looks like the day that I got it.  It's not an ultra-top-tier bag (like Flatlander, Commando, etc.) but, for me, "it just works" in the sense that it has become all but invisible because I never have any reason to complain about it.  I'd buy that bag again in a heartbeat.

Tool bags now come in a dizzying array of configs, and even the "expensive" ones cost a fraction of what one would pay for a plug bag, or a surf-labeled sheath or pouch to wear on a surf belt.  Husky and others build bags/pouches/etc. that can take some *serious* abuse.  I needed a sheath for some new-to-me Sargent pliers three years ago, so I bought a Stanley double sheath at Ace for something like $17, planning that I'd soon get a *better* one and use the Stanley for work.  You guessed it:  I still use that Stanley.  

Another note on tool bags:  They're available for super cheap on CL and for pennies at yard sales.

Don't sell MAK bags short.  I got a simple 2T maybe 3 years ago, which I've used almost as much as my GU to carry everything from needles and plastic swimmers in the tubes to rigged eels, jigs and BTs w/o the tubes.  Other than a couple small scuffs, it looks just about the same. 

Side note on Dave Rose of MAK:

If you support those who support our military, read on.  Last April I went to Dave's graphics shop here in Dartmouth to get a Ditch Trolls cap embroidered for our fellow Troll, sandbar1, as a going away gift before he left to embark upon his Navy career.  Even though I'd just walked in unannounced, he immediately got to work setting up his embroidery equipment.  A big smile crossed his face when he saw the content and we talked for a while about service, including friends and family who never returned.  When I asked what I owed him, he responded with something like "It's my gift.  Tell him thanks, and to stay safe." 

I have no affiliation with MAK, but gestures like that should be acknowledged.

IMG_0798.JPG