RiverCommando215

Question on etiquette among hardcore anglers

Rate this topic

209 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, Frede said:

Multiple times through the yrs.  Three stand out: 

1.) Was catching bass on plugs...not a soul around.  A guy walks up and throws a bait rig directly in the spot I was fighting a fish which tangled my line.  I tried to be nice and explained "put on a plug there's room for both of us to catch fish."  He said "do you own the effing ocean?" I shook my head and left.

2.) Wading waist deep catching blues....noticed a plug splash down 10ft in front of me.  I turned and I felt something pull my waders.  Turns out two guys casted at the same and I didn't notice the other plug till it hooked me......AND the guy thought he had a fish. I said stop reeling and removed his plug from my waders.  The guys didn't have waders so the casted over my head from the beach. I shook my head and left.  

3.) This was recent... 3 guys come up behind me shining headlights on me AND the water.  I said WTF under my breath but I was alone, it was late at night and it was a mile down the beach.  I shook my head and left.

This is a YMMV thing but I don't want the confrontation.  Yes I was pi$$ed in each case but confronting would've made me more pi$$ed.  These days I fish in spots it takes a more effort to reach.  These locations are typically frequented by seasoned anglers.....guys that get their plug out of the way when you're into a big fish.  As far as the rock....you get there 1st it's yours imo. 

1 and 3 I would've let go like you did, but number 2  I would've lost it quick. Good on you for keeping your composure, I would've turned around and went fishing for them lol.

Is rotating a thing there?  All rips I fish all have that little spot where 90% of the time is where you want to be and this area is no larger then 10 yards which is not much room, if you are late and can’t get into the position you want , that’s too bad.  Happens to all of us one night or the next. 

9 mins ago, nateD said:

respect

nateD you are right.  I watched him and then he taught me.  I am greatly thankful for that.  I keep my mouth shut about the spot specifics and lure placement. I did show him respect and we were good for a month or two.  It seems to me he is pissed because every time he wanted to get out to the rock I was already there. 

i heard a good story about the legendary "Jack Yee" (I believe I spelled it right) trying to beat guys to a rock in Montauk.  Similar but the characters in this story including myself are nothing compared to that legend.  

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Duck or bleed 

I mean  lol  fished from Canada to South America , never seen people who fish like them folks 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Lol...ok

Not surprising coming from you. Can you use the BST again yet? or scamming elsewhere?

Edited by nateD

44 mins ago, nateD said:

So now you learned the spot through hard work and not from watching the guy you need to beat to the rock?

I initially learned the "secret" from him and an old sharpie vet who was just happy to fish with another gentleman.  That was 30 hours into my Striper quest so to speak.  After 500 plus hours I got sharp on my own.  Went diving on clear days to learn the rocks and collect lost lures.  Without honor and respect we are no more than weekend warriors.  I still respect the guy even though he is a jerk.  This is why I asked how to facilitate a cease fire.  I want to have the best outcome so he can fish happily and I can fish without incident.

Here's a story for you and tell me what you think.

I found a spot all by myself and fished it for a few months with a lot of success chunking. One early morning I was there I had a few Rod setup chunking and as the sun start to come up a few guys started wading towards where I had my lines out around the corner. One guy saw me and yelled f*** really loud. He proceeded to Cast over my line and while he was reeling in cut my line. fishing after 30 years and I should not be chunking there. Now do I give him respect for fishing for 30 years, when he said to me shortly after that.... no chunking there anymore? Or does he not have it say and respect the fact that I found that spot all by myself in the secluded area and had success there and that nobody owns a fishing spot and say this is a chunking spot now for me?

9 mins ago, nateD said:

Not surprising coming from you. Can you use the BST again yet? or scamming elsewhere?

Ohh rib shot!!!!! I follow the rules today my friend

5 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Here's a story for you and tell me what you think.

I found a spot all by myself and fished it for a few months with a lot of success chunking. One early morning I was there I had a few Rod setup chunking and as the sun start to come up a few guys started wading towards where I had my lines out around the corner. One guy saw me and yelled f*** really loud. He proceeded to Cast over my line and while he was reeling in cut my line. fishing after 30 years and I should not be chunking there. Now do I give him respect for fishing for 30 years, when he said to me shortly after that.... no chunking there anymore? Or does he not have it say and respect the fact that I found that spot all by myself in the secluded area and had success there and that nobody owns a fishing spot and say this is a chunking spot now for me?

Somethings ya let go, but not this. I don’t care how long anyone has been fishing or fishing a spot. Some people need it a boga to chew on.

22 mins ago, Hook I said:

I mean  lol  fished from Canada to South America , never seen people who fish like them folks 

They’d eat their kids 

Just now, ReelSharp said:

Somethings ya let go, but not this. I don’t care how long anyone has been fishing or fishing a spot. Some people need it a boga to chew on.

2 years ago I was a different spot the same Bay and he followed me to the point and I was using same exact lures as him Chicken Scratch SP minnow sinking and he use floating it was a windy day and I was catching fish every cast and he caught one fish. He came up to me and said I've never been out fish like that in my life I give you a lot of respect. It didn't really matter any which way to met. I even offered him to use the lure that I was using I had multiples of them and he kept refusing. And then as a joke after that but not really just to dig it in he said make sure you don't chunk that spot okay. I mean what am I going to say to that LOL

8 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

2 years ago I was a different spot the same Bay and he followed me to the point and I was using same exact lures as him Chicken Scratch SP minnow sinking and he use floating it was a windy day and I was catching fish every cast and he caught one fish. He came up to me and said I've never been out fish like that in my life I give you a lot of respect. It didn't really matter any which way to met. I even offered him to use the lure that I was using I had multiples of them and he kept refusing. And then as a joke after that but not really just to dig it in he said make sure you don't chunk that spot okay. I mean what am I going to say to that LOL

There ya go. Typically I just talk with my rod and keep my head down

2 hours ago, RiverCommando215 said:

Anybody ever had issues like this?  How were they resolved or did it get nasty?  This is in NJ  by the way.  

I havent read the entire thread yet. I like your "rules of etiquette" and that is generally my take on it, however.... i think there is a lot to be said for respecting locals and certain guys that put effort into the same spots over and over.

I think your complaints are more situational than you are leading us to believe. If Im at a certain spot first and a newbie wants to rotate, Ill give him one or two shots at it before I give him the cold shoulder. I cant have a new guy screwing up my flow and making things sketchy.

but again if you are there first you need to communicate your tactics with any one else that may want to join. There are nights where I welcome company and nights where Im working a seam to death because I know fish and moving in and out during specific tide stages. In that case I would have a problem with you barging in.