RiverCommando215

Question on etiquette among hardcore anglers

Rate this topic

209 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

We are all "Public Landowners". I'm usually the first one at a spot, If someone gives me that "My Spot" nonsense, I'll usually say something with a smile like, "We all paid the same amount to fish here right?" $0. Rotating and sharing is always better than not.

I'm usually the guy that has to deal with anglers following me and fishing where I'm fishing. I will say high, smile and start a conversation. If they're clueless (Usually New, or just ignorant) I will educate them the on way to fish next to someone. If they know what they're doing I'll talk fishing, If they don't want to talk, I have no problem fishing right next to someone in total silence. This reminds me, I know I am not the only angler that loves to catch fish in a spot that someone fished, didn't hook up and says "It's fished out" then I go and catch a fish there!

Edited by mattyboyee

Was fishing at a river mouth on top of the jetty when the albies started chasing the bait fish back in from the ocean into the river the jetty could only fit 4 guys across but was at least a 7 foot drop to the water as we caught the albies you had to walk off the jetty and land them on to the adjacent beach as you left youR spot a waiting fisherman took your spot ...it was amazing no arguments no fights itwas  refreshing and it happened in nj but only once never saw it again..rd1

If I showed someone how to really maximize a spot and fish it efficiently, and then they were standing in the same spot doing that exact thing every single day; I would definitely be annoyed.  Not much you can do about it though if you gave up the goods.  Luckiuly I dont share much of anything I do with more than 2 or 3 very trusted friends/family.   Sure, if its an actual blitz on open beach and someone is struggling ill give some advice, but as far as targeting soft/hard structure...thats the stuff to keep tight to the chest.

This isnt directed at OP, but someone said they were fine hopping on a rock that someone was just fishing from...if someone goes to unhook a fish and you hop in their exact spot, thats a very scummy move.

Update on original post:

Dealt with the individual with whom I first had issues with.  This year new googans moved in and I became old news.  We are now chummy as we are the only ones who seem to understand a line up and proper rotation.  No more bad blood, no more bull.  I can clearly see my errors as the new guys are doing the same.  It's come full circle. I gotta say I am pleased this all went well with some respect gained and given in the journey.  I also realized from this years madness that i didn't even know what hardcore meant. I apologize for any arrogance or ignorance of knowledge.  I have much to learn.  Thanks again for the help along the way.  Tight lines!

-RC-

I have one,

While bank fishing at my local lake I head to my usual spot which is a point off the mouth of a creek. It's a pretty popular spot for bank fisherman. While I'm walking over I see a guy on a john boat anchored on the spot right next to the bank where shore fisherman usually fish from. I walk over and cast next to him, since he's on a boat and I'm fishing from shore. He looks at me as mumbles something about etiquette so I respond back. Said something like, you got a boat, you can go where ever you want in this lake. In my mind, I got to deal with hiking through poison ivy, twisting my leg on rocks and logs, dealing with getting snagged on tree limbs as I'm casting, and now I got this john boater who's pissed that I'm licking his boots. Last thing I said was something to the effect of "You could have been like "Hi" how are you doing, and I would have been on my way. But you decided to be a prick." He didn't say anything after that.

Courtesy.

we should be courtesy to each other. Especially those having the same hobby/ passion.

Fishing must be fun.

Please learn to step back.

Together we could be happy while fishing.

WOW, I couldn't put up with all the drama of catching a fish. If someone has the prime/best spot, fish the next best spot. Think it, learn it and just maybe it will become the "new" best spot.

12 hours ago, RiverCommando215 said:

Update on original post:

Dealt with the individual with whom I first had issues with.  This year new googans moved in and I became old news.  We are now chummy as we are the only ones who seem to understand a line up and proper rotation.  No more bad blood, no more bull.  I can clearly see my errors as the new guys are doing the same.  It's come full circle. I gotta say I am pleased this all went well with some respect gained and given in the journey.  I also realized from this years madness that i didn't even know what hardcore meant. I apologize for any arrogance or ignorance of knowledge.  I have much to learn.  Thanks again for the help along the way.  Tight lines!

-RC-

Lots of respect for you and your realizations of the situation while reading over the thread.  I think you started heated and came to an appropriate conclusion on how to handle this and what was truly important to you and potentially important to him..  Was very happy to read that it all blew over in the end. 

On 3/9/2020 at 10:43 AM, bbfish said:

If I showed someone how to really maximize a spot and fish it efficiently, and then they were standing in the same spot doing that exact thing every single day; I would definitely be annoyed.  Not much you can do about it though if you gave up the goods.  Luckiuly I dont share much of anything I do with more than 2 or 3 very trusted friends/family.   Sure, if its an actual blitz on open beach and someone is struggling ill give some advice, but as far as targeting soft/hard structure...thats the stuff to keep tight to the chest.

This isnt directed at OP, but someone said they were fine hopping on a rock that someone was just fishing from...if someone goes to unhook a fish and you hop in their exact spot, thats a very scummy move.

I was that scum once last year. One guy didn’t wanna rotate. Didn’t want nothing to do with nobody. No one around him was catching. He had been there for an hour at least if not longer. I was in the back of “the line” and got one hit right away but couldn’t get close enough without crossing lines so i waited. He hopped off and that’s all she wrote. I hopped into it and my bro came right next to me. I can see the look on his face when he realized there was no way I was moving. Proceeded to be the only two fisherman the next 3 hours to land fish even though people were all crowded around us throwing in the same spot lmao

I get a bit of a chuckle out of some reacting the way they do over a fish. I will not be "pushed" out of a spot I'm fishing but I sure don't envy a guy there before me or try to mug him. That's just me. Years ago when many, many were selling bass, (me too and I still do) things got ugly at times. I could tell some "war" stories from the past but what's it worth. Some spots are better than others and I will try to be on it BUT I wouldn't get pissed if someone is on it before me. Finding that "new spot" on your own is what makes you a FISHERMAN.  

On 1/3/2020 at 0:36 PM, RiverCommando215 said:

Here's my rules for the water:

1. First come first serve

2. Bow to kids, veterans who served this great nation, and sharpies who can tell you how that rock got there.  

3. If you catch a fish back out and let the other guy get a shot.

4.  If somebody hooks up on a big girl reel in and aid in the landing.  

5. No internet posts, no phone calls to get out here, and most certainly C&R.  

Please feel free to add or comment so I don't come off as a googan.

# 3 could be a problem with this guy, you might have to wait until he gat a fish before and he set off the rock.