coastalfreak

Go-to lure for finicky/skittish fish?

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

If theyre finicky that means I'm trying a bunch of stuff until I find what they are keyed in on. 

For example, with Spanish. sometimes they will only hit bubbles, sometimes spoons, sometimes xraps, pomp jigs, crappy jigs, etc. It's not a having the lure, it's about have the lures. 

White on white gotcha will get the ol string tugged fairly consistently

Its hard to say go-to lure for finicky bass.  I try to mix up my retrieve until I fined what works.  I'll use the same plug I would normally for the bait around but will try burning it in or burn in pause burn in, no retrieve and just jig your rod, or with a bucktail try snap jigging.  Try to get a reaction strike.  Also add some fish attractant.  You will look like an idiot until you start catching and nobody else is. 

3 hours ago, PlugDoctor said:

Its hard to say go-to lure for finicky bass.  I try to mix up my retrieve until I fined what works.  I'll use the same plug I would normally for the bait around but will try burning it in or burn in pause burn in, no retrieve and just jig your rod, or with a bucktail try snap jigging.  Try to get a reaction strike.  Also add some fish attractant.  You will look like an idiot until you start catching and nobody else is. 

Worth its weight in gold:)

PROD-sandwormP.jpg

In the past few years, I've had good luck with bonito/albies using stuff other than standard small metals/jigs (and in turn, not worry so much about matching the hatch)....examples being albie snax and other soft plastics as well as plugs, which look nothing like the anchovies, silversides, sand eels etc that they're feeding on....

On 1/3/2020 at 11:08 AM, nicknotsebastian said:

VERY true with almost any species and shore fishing.  boat fishing, the ONE thing (even if NO lure works) that almost always seems to get some love from bigger bass off the outer cape - no matter how finiky... 

693ADA69-53B6-435A-A1A0-52FE9EF6FFFE.png

Are those bunker?

On 1/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, RiverCommando215 said:

As already stated gotta match the hatch.  This fall into winter sand eel bite changed from 3 inch teaser to 5 inch,and then back to 3 all in 30 days.  Weed less rigged jerkbaits,(white or pink) and micro minnows caught most of my fish.  I would also say if fishing a heavy pressure area try some old school lures.  I broke out a 1980s needlefish and caught 16 bass in an hour when everyone else got a dink or two. Try to mix it up and not follow the crowd.    Answer for me? Storm 3 inch sand eel teaser. Crushed em this year.

I've had the same experience with the old Boone NF when the Super Strike NF did zippo....."different" can produce fish.  Going against conventional wisdom a white SP put bass on the beach for me a couple times this year when nothing would.  As said the retreive can be critical at times.....a slight change in speed or a twitch.  Taking off the teaser can work too.  I have confidence lures I believe in but they change regularly.  My secret for awhile was a rattletrap.....bass were like huh what.