Go-to lure for finicky/skittish fish?

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

Would love to here! Also, please tell the species you target with said lure. 

Thanks! 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

28 mins ago, codfish said:

Cape Cod Bay last year was invaded by the short fin squid, this is what did the damage for me:)

13CAC7D4-EBA0-4070-8382-75B80FE0799E.jpeg.94d19c6b5b41181b23a1703810beff06 (1).jpeg

79990115_590327225066037_7302470844549169152_n.jpg

79762705_10220982329245978_3411792341994831872_o.jpg

Great hatch match! 

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

If theyre finicky that means I'm trying a bunch of stuff until I find what they are keyed in on. 

For example, with Spanish. sometimes they will only hit bubbles, sometimes spoons, sometimes xraps, pomp jigs, crappy jigs, etc. It's not a having the lure, it's about have the lures. 

(*member formerly known as 'Badtothebugs')

9 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

If theyre finicky that means I'm trying a bunch of stuff until I find what they are keyed in on. 

For example, with Spanish. sometimes they will only hit bubbles, sometimes spoons, sometimes xraps, pomp jigs, crappy jigs, etc. It's not a having the lure, it's about have the lures. 

Good point. I try to keep a variety in my box instead of just a bunch of my favorites. 

9 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

VERY true with almost any species and shore fishing.  boat fishing, the ONE thing (even if NO lure works) that almost always seems to get some love from bigger bass off the outer cape - no matter how finiky... 

693ADA69-53B6-435A-A1A0-52FE9EF6FFFE.png

6 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

VERY true with almost any species and shore fishing.  boat fishing, the ONE thing (even if NO lure works) that almost always seems to get some love from bigger bass off the outer cape - no matter how finiky... 

693ADA69-53B6-435A-A1A0-52FE9EF6FFFE.png

How do macks hold up in a live well? I very rarely encounter them by me, just curious. 

8 mins ago, C.Robin said:

How do macks hold up in a live well? I very rarely encounter them by me, just curious. 

the right livewell, great.  this one’s a 40 gal flow thru @ 1200 gph.  holds 25-30 all day and anything left at the end of the day is (usually) alive.  mortality rate maybe 1 in 10 and usually something foul hooked or etc that shouldn’t have gone in to start with.  holds macs plus some small bluefish, squid (whatever) all day come tuna time.  just don’t overfill !  

As already stated gotta match the hatch.  This fall into winter sand eel bite changed from 3 inch teaser to 5 inch,and then back to 3 all in 30 days.  Weed less rigged jerkbaits,(white or pink) and micro minnows caught most of my fish.  I would also say if fishing a heavy pressure area try some old school lures.  I broke out a 1980s needlefish and caught 16 bass in an hour when everyone else got a dink or two. Try to mix it up and not follow the crowd.    Answer for me? Storm 3 inch sand eel teaser. Crushed em this year.