Seadogg

Winter/Spring trout 2020

Rate this topic

289 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, bdowning said:

Falling snow seemed to help this am. :hooked:

Change in pressure? Always seems to produce a good bite for me.

havent been posting much lately but have been crushing the stocked trout on the cape on flies and spoons. last Saturday it was every other cast for 2 hours. lost count after 27. once you find the main school it's not hard to catch a bunch. might have to start keeping fish soon to eat looking as the grocery stores are empty... 

5 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

havent been posting much lately but have been crushing the stocked trout on the cape on flies and spoons. last Saturday it was every other cast for 2 hours. lost count after 27. once you find the main school it's not hard to catch a bunch. might have to start keeping fish soon to eat looking as the grocery stores are empty... 

Salmon take your bag of 3 they won't last long people out of work.

16 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

What a difference a day makes. My Son and I fished hard all day last Friday on 2 Plymouth ponds, essentially same as the Cape stocked ponds with flies and got 2.

13 mins ago, Jr said:

What a difference a day makes. My Son and I fished hard all day last Friday on 2 Plymouth ponds, essentially same as the Cape stocked ponds with flies and got 2.

I wade a lot of shoreline till I find them. with experience though I can narrow it down a little but covering water is key as they are schooled up. 

We were in tubes in 2 of the smaller ponds covered pretty thoroughly. it was cold, pouring, and blowing. I think this early in the season the heavy cold had them pretty lethargic. Even the 2 we caught just kind came right in no real struggle at all. This weekend looks better. I'd love to be out Friday but gotta work so Saturday it is. Can't really complain about having to work these days though.

I made at least 3 trips a week in January, February, and March. They didn’t seem too lethargic even in the dead of winter. Got skunked maybe 3 times. Most days were a half dozen fish or better, all on the fly rod. I’ve been skunked the last 3 trips in 3 different ponds. Baffling, considering each of the lakes has received multiple stockings this month. How the hell was the fishing better during colder weather and with a fraction of the fish? 

27 mins ago, Seadogg said:

I made at least 3 trips a week in January, February, and March. They didn’t seem too lethargic even in the dead of winter. Got skunked maybe 3 times. Most days were a half dozen fish or better, all on the fly rod. I’ve been skunked the last 3 trips in 3 different ponds. Baffling, considering each of the lakes has received multiple stockings this month. How the hell was the fishing better during colder weather and with a fraction of the fish? 

Couldn’t agree more. I guess that’s why we like to do it

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished with my brother tonight. He landed an absolute stud of a brown. Taped out at just under 25”.

5136EB7F-4072-489D-8D0C-C04B72C9D9ED.jpeg

Edited by jmarino1432

Magnificent!  Fish of a lifetime.  Looks like it could swallow some of the newly stocked fish. Congrats to your brother.

4 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

Fished with my brother tonight. He landed an absolute stud of a brown. Taped out at just under 25”.

5136EB7F-4072-489D-8D0C-C04B72C9D9ED.jpeg

That's a beautiful fish! :th:

2 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

That's a beautiful fish! :th:

It's gonna take a while to wipe that smile off his face.......Congrats!!!