Winter/Spring trout 2020

Rate this topic

Seadogg

22 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Didn’t take any photos today but I landed 3 decent rainbows and a brookie of about 2 pounds. Fished a pretty large fly and had a lot of tail nippers, so I missed a bunch of fish. For future ties I’ll include a tail hook. 

0604592C-8CD2-4470-B782-C15F77496733.jpeg

It would never occur to me to try a fly like that for trout. I learned something.

The Sultan of Sluggo

27 mins ago, bob_G said:

It would never occur to me to try a fly like that for trout. I learned something.

I modeled that fly and others like it after suspending jerkbaits. They’re so effective for trout I decided to carry the concept to the world of fly fishing. They get slammed. Same presentation as the booby. 

16 hours ago, Seadogg said:

I modeled that fly and others like it after suspending jerkbaits. They’re so effective for trout I decided to carry the concept to the world of fly fishing. They get slammed. Same presentation as the booby. 

Do you fish that on a sinking line to get the "suspending" action? Went out with a few buddies recently and they said the same thing about trout schooling up and false spawning this time of year. They use rapalas and jointed swim baits and they've been crushing them down Cape. 

Edited by BillyBallGame

(*member formerly known as 'wmitchell1')

On Sunday evening I got my first trout of the year and my first fish since mid-December.  The warm weather finally opened up the trout ponds near me. I fished one that was about 1/3 open water. I got a brown on a kastmaster about halfway between sunset and darkness.

As darkness set in Venus was reallly bright in the west sky.

20200223_174940.jpg.ed57d25910337b7c3ccedfac0763ef8f.jpg

20200223_180658.jpg.86f1ac27a5d1c01d237da6f8dd9623a9.jpg

10 hours ago, zak-striper said:

On Sunday evening I got my first trout of the year and my first fish since mid-December.  The warm weather finally opened up the trout ponds near me. I fished one that was about 1/3 open water. I got a brown on a kastmaster about halfway between sunset and darkness.

As darkness set in Venus was reallly bright in the west sky.

20200223_174940.jpg.ed57d25910337b7c3ccedfac0763ef8f.jpg

20200223_180658.jpg.86f1ac27a5d1c01d237da6f8dd9623a9.jpg

Nice fish Zak. Looking at it closely, it looks like it may have been hooked before, or was that caused by you?

The Sultan of Sluggo

5 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I haven't tried eating browns yet. If I ever get a holdover from the 'Chu, I'll have to give them a try.

Back in my ice fishing days, all I caught through the ice at John's Pond were browns. Beautiful browns, up to 20". 

I was under strict order from my wife never to release them. :laugh: Sandy loved those holdover browns. Salmon colored flesh. She'd steam them in a bamboo steamer with fresh scallions and ginger.

The Sultan of Sluggo