Seadogg

Winter/Spring trout 2020

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

Jamaica pond or Brookline reservoir are prolly your closest bets

Thanks a lot! I went to Jamaica pond 2 weeks ago. Tried with both power egg and lure for 3 hours. Nothing at all. I guess that all the stocked trouts this fall were gone already. Any other places may hold any?

38 mins ago, jsfishy said:

Brookline Reservoir was drained as of last summer. Let me know if you're going to JP, I live in Somerville and would be down.

I am not going to Jamaica pond until it would be stocked this spring, as I tried there a couple of weeks ago and no bite for 3 hours.

12 hours ago, Wenz said:

This really looks great. If I live in Medford MA, where could I go for some trout fishing or other fish? Thanks a lot.

Horn Pond in Woburn is stocked in the Spring and Fall. Spot Pond in Stoneham by the Fells Reservation gets stocked only in the Spring but people always catch holdover rainbows when targeting smallies.

45 mins ago, Wenz said:

Thanks a lot! I went to Jamaica pond 2 weeks ago. Tried with both power egg and lure for 3 hours. Nothing at all. I guess that all the stocked trouts this fall were gone already. Any other places may hold any?

I know for sure Jamaica Pond definitely has fish hold over from stocking (it's SUPER deep), but I have had very limited success there myself.

On 2/12/2020 at 0:02 PM, jsfishy said:

I know for sure Jamaica Pond definitely has fish hold over from stocking (it's SUPER deep), but I have had very limited success there myself.

I believe in that. And currently, I would like to go somewhere that I could catch some fish. 

48 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Went out in the rain today and hammered ‘em with the buggy whip. 

BC884BED-ED5B-4ADF-8BFD-1FB6C37C5578.jpeg

Are you hammering them because of the boobie fly, or are there just lots of fish?

8 hours ago, bob_G said:

Are you hammering them because of the boobie fly, or are there just lots of fish?

Probably a combination of both. I find in the winter the rainbows tend to group up and “spawn”. Ive seen this behavior many times over the years in different  ponds, but the location of the fish changes from year to year and even month to month sometimes. If you can find where the group is you’re golden. I’ve been fishing the same 100-yard stretch of shore for weeks now. Currently they’re holding in a 100-foot section. There are fish along the entire stretch, but that “spawning” group is tightly grouped and stuck to this one little area. Before that they were in a different stretch for several weeks. I’ve caught fish all around the pond, but the concentration of fish in this one area is silly. 

And yea, there’s no doubt the booby fly is effective. It’s a small, buggy, non threatening fly that stays in the strike zone indefinitely. The way it darts to the bottom and then slowly rises when stripped and paused is irresistible to trout. I actually had one take the fly off the surface yesterday seconds after it landed. The line hadn’t even pulled the fly under yet. That was pretty funny. Honestly, I’ve given up on other presentations, unless there’s clearly a midge hatch taking place. To me there’s no better way to present a fly to trout in lakes. I suppose if the bottom was excessively rocky or had a ton of branches you’d experience issues, but for your average bottom of gravel, stones, and leaf litter you rarely, and I mean rarely hang up. The key is to keep moving and covering water. If you make a few casts and don’t get hit, just keep moving. If you get the fly in front of them they’re going to eat it, so if you’re not getting hit,

you’re not presenting it to fish. I’ve become that confident in this fly. 

Edited by Seadogg