Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike NJ

Cropped sensor DSLR vs longer lens

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

My current best quality telephoto setup is a full sensor canon 5d and a canon 100-400mm lens.

I'm looking for more reach. I've been looking at a canon 7d mark2, or a tamron 150-600mm lens. Both will give me the same reach, and both will be around $1400.

I'm curious on the pros and cons of both. I'm leaning towards the 7d, because it is newer than my 5d mark3, and has faster drive speeds, and I'm assuming faster focus. Plus it has a few other features my 5d doesn't.  I would still keep the 5d for wide angle and lower light photography, and just because I never get rid of anything.

Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of each? I see a lot of awesome shots with the different 150-600 lenses that are out there,  and could always pick one up down the line if I really want that much reach, but I don't know if I could ever get a steady shot without a tripod at 900mm

All of my shots are with the first generation 7D and the 100-400.  I'd love to have a Mark II but the original 7D still does a great job.  These days you can buy a 7D on ebay used for less than $300.

5e0f30feb1af7_71246787_10211646922767416_7128700951698866176_o(2).jpg.32bdeb59d9e6f06f93935d85a0e3bb51.jpg

70556170_10211607034210227_8281879965364912128_o.jpg.2683a86fb81200b992e60ad4158a191d.jpg

5e0f31403981a_68944576_10211532061535957_8468221291915116544_o(1).jpg.ab3985a4d7547fd746f215533c0deb07.jpg

69380894_10211531987694111_9087102800545972224_o.jpg.7d1edc936890ca171eedff3885636423.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, mike NJ said:

My current best quality telephoto setup is a full sensor canon 5d and a canon 100-400mm lens.

I'm looking for more reach. I've been looking at a canon 7d mark2, or a tamron 150-600mm lens. Both will give me the same reach, and both will be around $1400.

I'm curious on the pros and cons of both. I'm leaning towards the 7d, because it is newer than my 5d mark3, and has faster drive speeds, and I'm assuming faster focus. Plus it has a few other features my 5d doesn't.  I would still keep the 5d for wide angle and lower light photography, and just because I never get rid of anything.

Anyone have any input on the pros and cons of each? I see a lot of awesome shots with the different 150-600 lenses that are out there,  and could always pick one up down the line if I really want that much reach, but I don't know if I could ever get a steady shot without a tripod at 900mm

I have the 7d mark ii and love it. I had the 5d mark ii as well and ended up selling that over the 7d mark ii. I had the 70-300 paired with it for my long lens and wanted more, so recently got the100-400 lens and love the combo. Full frame is a bigger sensor, more pixels, better for really blowing up prints. I just felt the crop factor on the 100-400 paired with the 7d mark ii was all I really needed and seeing the other lenses I had were ef-s it was cheaper as well..

If I had money to burn I'd get the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x and put it on a 7D Mark II.  Throw in a 70-200 F2.8 and I'd be good to go.  The 200-400 will set you back about $11,000.00 and I've seen them used for $6,000.00

On 1/2/2020 at 5:53 PM, mike NJ said:

Is your Canon 5D one of the original 12.8 mp. models ?

If so it's really a no brainier for the new 7d mark 2 , it would put over 3 times the pixels on target and be better at everything.

If its a Mark III or Mark IV then it would be a bit more of a decision I think.

Given an apples to apples choice, cameras of the same generation, I prefer full frame. There is a reason they cost a lot more.

Wife shoots Nikon, I would prefer a D850 full frame to her current d500 cropped sensor.

But the d500 out performs her older d800 full frame in areas like low light focus etc. making the d500 a better choice....Its a newer generation camera.

If I wanted more "reach" I'd just put the full frame in cropped sensor mode....same thing...... you really don't get more reach, it's just pre-cropped so to speak.

Always seems a shame to me that we carry around expensive, heavy, full frame lenses, and only use 1/2 the lens with a smaller cropped sensor.

Edited by Plug and teaser

12 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Is your Canon 5D one of the original 12.8 mp. models ?

If so it's really a no brainier for the new 7d mark 2 , it would put over 3 times the pixels on target and be better at everything.

If its a Mark III or Mark IV then it would be a bit more of a decision I think.

Given an apples to apples choice, cameras of the same generation, I prefer full frame. There is a reason they cost a lot more.

Wife shoots Nikon, I would prefer a D850 full frame to her current d500 cropped sensor.

But the d500 out performs her older d800 full frame in areas like low light focus etc. making the d500 a better choice....Its a newer generation camera.

If I wanted more "reach" I'd just put the full frame in cropped sensor mode....same thing...... you really don't get more reach, it's just pre-cropped so to speak.

Always seems a shame to me that we carry around expensive, heavy, full frame lenses, and only use 1/2 the lens with a smaller cropped sensor.

It's a mark3, so no problem with pixels, or quality, or any of that. Speed is a big thing. 5fps on the d5 vs 10 on the 7d. The focusing is better on the 7d (supposedly). It would mostly be for tele and macro shots. The 5 d would be used for landscapes, wide angle, low light, etc...

Still haven't decided if I even want to go down that road. I've been shooting mostly with  a Sony a6000 the last few years just because of the weight. I'll carry that camera anywhere, but I don't have a long lens for it and really don't want to start going down that road. I bought it just as a travel camera and only have one decent lens for it. All my glass is in the canon eos system.

44 mins ago, mike NJ said:

It's a mark3, so no problem with pixels, or quality, or any of that. Speed is a big thing. 5fps on the d5 vs 10 on the 7d. The focusing is better on the 7d (supposedly). It would mostly be for tele and macro shots. The 5 d would be used for landscapes, wide angle, low light, etc...

Still haven't decided if I even want to go down that road. I've been shooting mostly with  a Sony a6000 the last few years just because of the weight. I'll carry that camera anywhere, but I don't have a long lens for it and really don't want to start going down that road. I bought it just as a travel camera and only have one decent lens for it. All my glass is in the canon eos system.

Mike I shoot with Sony a6000 and a6400 and have the Sigma MC-11 converter.  which allow me to use Canon  EOS mount lenses, I recently bought a Sigma 150-600 for Canon EOS.   works great.   you probably could use many of your Canon lenses on the a6000.

This from the Sigma web site:

The new MOUNT CONVERTER MC-11 allows you to use your SIGMA SA mount and SIGMA EOS mount interchangeable lenses with the Sony E-mount camera body.
Until now, the market has seen the introduction of many methods for using lenses from one camera system with a body from a different system. In the digital age, however, camera systems have become much more complex, and it is challenging to create a mount converter that aligns both the mechanics and software of the lens and body. Creating a converter that matches lenses for current DSLRs to bodies for mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera systems is even more challenging. Now the market demands a converter that goes beyond simply aligning the flange back distance to retaining full functionality.

Mike,

I had the same dilemma, had a canon 5D II and a 7D II. I was shooting with a 300mm for my long lens and wanted more reach. I ended up keeping the 7D II and getting the Canon 100-400 and paired it with the 1.4 converter. With the 1.6 factor of the 7D and the 1.4 of the lens I have a reach of almost 900mm. Still getting my feet wet with it, but loving it. I haven't shot with the tripod yet, and the setup is pretty heavy, but handheld seems to be pretty good so far..

Seals 6 012320.jpg

Blue Heron 011620.jpg

Canal Loon 011520.jpg

Geese 010520.jpg

This weekend I  traded in my original 7D and upgraded to a 7D Mark II.  While I was at it I purchased a 300mm F4 L IS.   Looking forward to seeing what I can get with these.

1 hour ago, mike NJ said:

Nice. I'm not getting a new camera until I see where canon goes with their mirrorless line

Yea.  I'll probably kick myself a few months from now when they release a rumored EOS R7 crop sensor sports camera.  Like an R5 but with a crop sensor and a price tag of $1,500.

Yup. That's the one i heard about too.  If course everything is pushed back because of the pandemic,  so it might be another year before anything new gets released. 

When I was looking at longer lenses and a new canon, I came across a bridge camera. The Leica v-lux4 25-600mm lens. My last canon a t90 film camera ( because in my trade, fire investigations digital photos were not recognized by all courts at that time ) anyway, the t90 with all the lenses and accessories I carried was a heavy bagful. The Leica was pleasure comparatively. F2.8 throughout. Great in always low light conditions . Now I’m looking to use it for nature work.