gadwall8

The 2020 Tavern Victory Garden Thread

Rate this topic

442 posts in this topic

The seed catalogs are piling up, what are you thinking for this first year of the decade?

After a gardening hiatus last season, I'm resolved to grow again. A little less quantity, a little more variety is the plan... and corn. The gf saw a photo of the corn patch from a few years back and has demanded it's return assuring me that she will distribute all we can't eat.

:v:

I was thinking of taking a break this year. Have plenty of dried peppers, and tomatoes don't seem to do well in my yard. But, will probably give it a go, anyway. 

We are going to add an additional 8'X8' above ground box this spring.  We had fun with it last summer.  First time I've had a garden since I lived at home with my parents.

Cabo

Posted (edited) · Report post

Damn Gad, way to be on top of it this year.

The squirrels dug up all my garlic bulbs I planted in the fall so I got that working for me.:mad:

Edited by JMB

i cant wait to start my seeds. i finally got around to building some (7) raised beds this fall. now i still have to put up some sort of fence to keep the deer out. 

Spent a few hours tidying up the basement to prepare for seeding season. Only things still going down there are green onions, chives and a pathetic looking thyme in a jar. Had a major infestation of aphids which finally killed off the reapers and wiped out a bucket of cherry peppers. :mad: There are a pair of ladybugs roaming around on the thyme. Hope they can hang around to clean up any stragglers.

3 hours ago, JMB said:

Damn Gad, way to be on top of it this year.

The squirrels dug up all my garlic bulbs I planted in the fall so I got that working for me.:mad:

LOL

After the ****how of construction at the Chunkah abode last year I'm taking this year off from growing anything but cayenne peppers...those ****ers make great hot sauce. We have a great farmers market in town all spring, summer, and fall...I'll buy fresh from those nice folks.

Spinach and garlic have a good chunk of territory claimed already.  Definitely going to plant some mini butternuts and shi sh ito  peppers, couple tomatoes.  Herbs.  Not a lot else unless I start clearing more of the claim.  

Plan to join in on this conversation this year.

I have had large gardens most years - which the wife wants to be dialed back ---- a lot.

Once the kids were up and out the demand for produce dropped.

So cut flowers went into a chunk of it - always nice to have fresh on the table all summer.

So part of the fun of a garden is trying something new each and every year - just because.  I have learned that:

• French fillet beans are a must over any other bush bean.
  • Napa cabbage was an interesting try
  • Heirloom tomatoes can taste great but sometimes do not hold well either on the plant or after picking.
  • No need to plant many zuchinni's  - good grief ask me how I know..........
  • Hot peppers have made it into the plant annually list.  I always save seeds year to year and am amazed at how they cross pollinate and hybridize themselves.  Not always sure what pops up.
  • Swiss chard holds up way better than most other spinach type greens and is easy to grow.
  • Sweet corn is not worth it for me.  Too many critters rob my garden and there are several farm stands on the way to work.
  • Black plastic is a wonderful thing.  Cover the entire garden with it and cut slits where you want to plant.  Warms the soil in spring, keeps the weeds down, concentrates the water as all the rain trickles over to where I have  a plant and it keeps the soils moist a lot longer - so minimal watering.

Gonna try some sort of bok choi this year.  Not sure what type but it is something I have never grown.

15 mins ago, Skeeterbait said:

Gonna try some sort of bok choi this year. 

I had great luck doing it hydroponically indoors.  Outdoors it bolts everytime.  I seem to think it's a winter plant.  Post your trials here, I'd love to find the secret.  

Aphids mitchell?  I've only had spider mites on my overwintered peppers.  Cyfluthrin does the job on them.  Had aphids on seedlings in the popup greenhouse one year, bought a box of ladybugs and let them loose in there.  Those things are badass.

Anyway, just waiting on my order from whitehotpeppers to arrive and we'll be off to the races again.  Thinking 72 plants - half mild/drying peppers and half burn your face off crosses and accidental hybrid stabilization projects.  Will also find room for tomatoes, filet beans, peas, tomatillas, artichokes, and onions.

So dead and dreary outside, need to see some life, even if its under lights in the basement.

9 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

Aphids mitchell?  I've only had spider mites on my overwintered peppers.  Cyfluthrin does the job on them.  Had aphids on seedlings in the popup greenhouse one year, bought a box of ladybugs and let them loose in there.  Those things are badass.

Anyway, just waiting on my order from whitehotpeppers to arrive and we'll be off to the races again.  Thinking 72 plants - half mild/drying peppers and half burn your face off crosses and accidental hybrid stabilization projects.  Will also find room for tomatoes, filet beans, peas, tomatillas, artichokes, and onions.

So dead and dreary outside, need to see some life, even if its under lights in the basement.

They sucked the moisture out of everything