Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

BEST WAR MOVIE

Rate this topic

77 posts in this topic

For me its a toss up between 'A Bridge Too Far' and 'Saving Private Ryan.' However, have to give it to 'A Bridge Too Far' due because it actually shows the British commanders in their true light in the WWII- as complete jack@sses.

Another good one is 'Das Boot- Director's Cut' (saw it in the theater when they rereleased it and it is something when those hull rivets pop in surround sound).

Always a good memorial day discussion....

SPR no doubt for the special effects

Pork Chop Hill...A classic in the fight to the last vein...excellent story

Sahara...another classic

Der Langster Tag...No list is complete without this

The Dirty Dozen...gotta love Lee Marvin

Kelly's Heros..deserves a mention

Glory...excellent story

Breaker Morrant....another great story

Bridge on the River Qwai..even though most of the movie was untrue...

Paths of Glory....gotta love Adolph Monjou

just my two cents...plus a bit more.

Brian--Monty and his lads, pompous jack@asses? Pweposterous biggrin.gif

Kelly's Heroes is one of the most underrated black comedies of all time. Love that spaghetti western scene where Eastwood, Savalas and Sutherland saunter up to the tank like all of Clint's gunslinger roles--you get the idea Eastwood enjoys a good joke at his own expense.

#1 Platoon

#2 Full Metal Jacket

#3 Private Ryan

#4 Gettysburg

#5 Hamburger Hill

To name a few of the Favs. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by River Rat (edited 01-30-2001).]

1. <LI>Galipoli - WW1 epic. Great trench war footage

<LI>All Quiet on the Western Front - Original 1930 film. Has been colorized. Just a great movie.

<LI>Patton - Excellent

<LI>The Longest Day - Very Excellent. All star cast

<LI>Battle of the Bulge - Excellent

<LI>Stalag 17 - Funny yet great POW movie

<LI>1941 - Hey, I liked it!

<LI>The Boys of Company C - one of the 1st Vietnam Movies

<LI>Saving Private Ryan - The landing in France was the realest Hollywood has made war look. Yeah I teared up at the end cwm14.gif

<LI>Platoon

<LI>Full Metal Jacket - Basic Training scenes are GREAT!!!

<LI>Hamburger Hill - WOW

<LI>The Patriot - Revolutionary War. Very Good.

{*]

Hey Arby- if you like WWI flicks try the new movie titled 'Behind the Lines'- it's about the relationship between Sassoon and Wilfred Owens.

Hey, all- I was in Gettysburg (Glory as well); I reenacted when I was younger and they put me in as a drummer boy. They actually took a picture of me and posed me as Johnny Clem.

Can't forget this movie either- the German production of 'Stalingrad'.

Kelly's Heros is definitely a great one as well. Love it when they first introduced Donald Sutherland's character.

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. Full Metal Jacket

3. Platoon

4. Gettysburg

5. Heartbreak Ridge - It's like fishing. Improvise, adapt, overcome. I love when he drills Sweed. Pick up your chin, higher. Wham.

[This message has been edited by CHIEF500 (edited 01-30-2001).]

Gotta get G'Burg in there...Antietam was the bloodiest day of the war 26,000 lost but G'Burg was the bloddiest battle with about 52,000 lost. Pretty horrific when you consider in all we lost about 58,000 in the Viet Nam war.

Hats off boys, (regardless of the cause) that would march a mile over open ground in the face or artillery and fortified opposition while buddies all around them just melted away....

Great Discussion!

I think a lot of use forgot the movie ZULU! That was a classic war movie. I remember my Pop sitting me down in front of the tube, getting me ready for when the "natives" actually attack the fort! I still get nervous when I think about the sounds of their spears smacking agains their shields!

thumpthumpTHUMP!

Private Ryan and Platoon may take the cake, though.

THE KID

Unless I'm missing something, how could everyone have skipped what I think is #1: Apocalypse Now! Combined with watching the making of it, Heart of Darkness, and reading Conrad's novella, it's an absolutely amazing movie. The real scenes where Sheen gets himself in such a fit that he has a heart attack, the massive scale of the movie, and of course Brando at his best. One of the most creative and original movies of all time, IMO.

Whoa dude! I saw ZULU as a first run in the theater and I will never forget that scene. They pan the camera and there was Zulus everywhere!

Private Ryan kicked my butt also. The beach landing was unbelievable but when that Nazi stuck that knife into that GI ever so slowly, I about lost it.

Platoon was a powerfull film. There were three Nam vets sitting in front of me at the theater. When the flick started they were joking aroundquite a bit. By the time the credits ran they were sitting there unable to move. I think they were really shook up.

Patton is so good, that may be my favorite.

The Big Red One as honerable mention. That movie was old school to the max. wink.gif

I was wondering where those movies ran off to- I'll trade you, my movies for your tackle bag.

How could anybody ever forget 'Gunga Din'? "Kill for the love of killing; kill for the love of Kalie!"

Hey, how about 'Johnny Get Your Gun'?