Price Threshold of Rods

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

13 mins ago, buddha162 said:

No one here is saying that.

I know that. Im just sayin. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

43 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

I'm all for buying expensive stuff. It really is more enjoyable to use. 

The issue is that many rookies/weekend warriors think that the only acceptable tackle to catch fish on is a high end rig. Is expensive tackle better? Yes. Will it last longer? Yes. Is it more enjoyable to use? Yes. 

But the idea that you NEED a high end rig to catch fish is making a lot of rookies feel intimidated. 

Boy,you should see the,what I call kids,on the piers around here with Van Stall

reels,Costas and Ugly Sticks.

Usually in a cluster,on their phones etc.haha. not even scanning the water....

Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em.

They could be doing worse....

2 mins ago, olvart said:

Boy,you should see the,what I call kids,on the piers around here with Van Stall

reels,Costas and Ugly Sticks.

Usually in a cluster,on their phones etc.haha. not even scanning the water....

Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em.

They could be doing worse....

I know it. READ THE BEACH!! :) 

In all seriousness though, I caught one of my biggest LMBs by watching closely. I noticed a cloud of dirt shoot up as I walked to the bank at a pond, and I casted and pulled in one about 4-5 pounds. I think it was the one I spooked. 

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

3 hours ago, kyleeng said:

Always been my opinion that when you pay for these pricier setups, you're paying for the experience. How much do you value this experience? If your concern is purely catching fish, a $10 rod, some line, and a bucktail will work.

This!!!! Even the days I don’t catch fish when I look at my setup I enjoy how cool it looks

2 hours ago, PissonDFS said:

Okay take that $10.00 rod to the Canal I will pay you 100.00 every Striper you land. If you loose it you pay me $100.00 who do think walks away with more money??? Pfff 

Your catching the fish , not the rod?

i have seen guys with $15 ugly sticks catch a ton of fish.  The reel is what brings in the fish  you need a decent one.    But you can spend 1000.00

whats in your wallet? 

19 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Me building it makes the rod lose value lol

Your not building it to make money 

Billy builds them to make money , that’s his job?   

3 mins ago, ccb said:

i have seen guys with $15 ugly sticks catch a ton of fish.  The reel is what brings in the fish  you need a decent one.    But you can spend 1000.00

whats in your wallet? 

Hell, Ive caught more fish on cheaper rods than expensive rods. I agree though. Reels are important, especially in the salt. 

23 hours ago, firstlite said:

Build your own. Learn components, finishes, epoxies. etc.  Build what you want, how you want, when you want. The cost factor will be much less and you get something you designed. Much more satisfaction for me. 

My custom rods with Titanium SiC or Torzite are still stupid expensive. I get exactly what I want, but I don’t know that I save any money. 

23 mins ago, ccb said:

whats in your wallet? 

Yes, I was poking fun at my own rod building skills.

I built them and did repairs for years. I alway had a good supply of Lamiglas rods that I used.  I have a couple of Ugly stick 2 pc. Rods in the boat and some of my friend love them. 
The better rod

Will have better guides and components for sure and will be lighter  

it will be prettier with maybe a cross wrap but it won’t catch the fish 

YOU WILL 

21 mins ago, ccb said:

whats in your wallet? 

The reel brings in the fish ??? Do you know what Fast action, Medium action, moderate action, lure rating means? It’s how you judge what rod to purchase not the REEL. How about lift up and wind down??? Not the REEL. My entire point is buying a 500.00 will not make you a better fisherman instantly. Plenty of great rods under 250.00 

24 mins ago, hobobob said:

How many higher end rod and reel you have used? or at least tried?  

A few. Can’t say I’ve tried any excellent rods because I’m a broke student, but enough to say that I can still catch plenty of fish on a cheap rod. 

1 min ago, PissonDFS said:

The reel brings in the fish ??? Do you know what Fast action, Medium action, moderate action, lure rating means? It’s how you judge what rod to purchase not the REEL. How about lift up and wind down??? Not the REEL. My entire point is buying a 500.00 will not make you a better fisherman instantly. Plenty of great rods under 250.00 

Yes I know actions well. 
I also know lures 

All I’m saying is you don’t need a 300 to 500 rod to catch fish.    
Look in the record book and see how many guys over the years got a record fish with a cheap rod and reel ?

i understand , some people drive Fords and some Cadillacs.   

10 mins ago, ccb said:

I built them and did repairs for years. I alway had a good supply of Lamiglas rods that I used.  I have a couple of Ugly stick 2 pc. Rods in the boat and some of my friend love them. 
The better rod

Will have better guides and components for sure and will be lighter  

it will be prettier with maybe a cross wrap but it won’t catch the fish 

YOU WILL 

Yup. Old lady near me just won a catfish competition with a cane pole and some dog food.