coastalfreak

Price Threshold of Rods

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

Im a pretty firm believer in you get what you pay for. Especially for stuff like reels. 

However, do you guys think there is a price threshold with rods? That is, a price where the improvements in the higher end models are so small over cheaper alternatives their big prices aren't justifiable?

Yes I pretty much thought $500 would be tops in a rod. But it's the same as with my carbon fiber bike. I never thought I'd spend as much as I do for a bike and each additional ounce saved is so much more money.

Build your own. Learn components, finishes, epoxies. etc.  Build what you want, how you want, when you want. The cost factor will be much less and you get something you designed. Much more satisfaction for me. 

35 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

a price where the improvements in the higher end models are so small over cheaper alternatives their big prices aren't justifiable?

In a word... yes..

In 2 more words... graphene & torzite

Having WASTED more $ than I care to admit on marketing hype I am now of the firm belief that much of what is pushed at obscene prices is not all that much better than less expensive alternatives..

With reels I do still spend..

but with $250 black hole rods performing as well as $600 century graphene rods I just can't justify the spend...

22 mins ago, Beachglass Guru said:

In a word... yes..

In 2 more words... graphene & torzite

Having WASTED more $ than I care to admit on marketing hype I am now of the firm belief that much of what is pushed at obscene prices is not all that much better than less expensive alternatives..

With reels I do still spend..

but with $250 black hole rods performing as well as $600 century graphene rods I just can't justify the spend...

Gotta agree there. 

“Many products today are meant to catch the fisherman, not the fish.” -Wise Man 

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

Im a pretty firm believer in you get what you pay for. Especially for stuff like reels. 

However, do you guys think there is a price threshold with rods? That is, a price where the improvements in the higher end models are so small over cheaper alternatives their big prices aren't justifiable?

500.00 rod compared to 250.00 rod won’t make you a better fisherman or catch more fish. Most rods are way over priced these days. Just look in the past what rod companies are still in business. I would bet most of the higher end rod companies will take a big hit the next few years. With Striper regulations changing. For instance take a bucktail for $ 5.00 if you learn how to use them good you can fish anywhere. And they will be around forever. Compared to all these $20.00 to $30.00 lures on the market. Same thing with rods. I would suggest to you try to get your hands on the rod your thinking about getting before you buy online. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Yes I pretty much thought $500 would be tops in a rod. But it's the same as with my carbon fiber bike. I never thought I'd spend as much as I do for a bike and each additional ounce saved is so much more money.

As a cyclist myself, I think $3k is the line beyond which things get silly.

Edited by MaxKatt

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Somewhere between $100 and low $200.   

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Law of diminishing returns, always in play.

2 hours ago, firstlite said:

Build your own. Learn components, finishes, epoxies. etc.  Build what you want, how you want, when you want. The cost factor will be much less and you get something you designed. Much more satisfaction for me. 

Plus gives you winter projects, nothing like putting together a chevron during a snowstorm 

I look at sports stuff just like buying a car.   If all you want  is transportation then you can buy a basic standard car.

But if you are into cars like the fun of having all the extras then the sky is the limit

At some point you're not paying just to get somewhere.

Same with sports equipment. you're not getting much return on your money------------  But hell it sure is fun to have it.

Edited by surffshr

Over the years there have been many threads on “budget rods”.

But each year the budget rods get better and cheaper,and lighter .

Right know the best buy,light surf rods are an amazing rod series from Okuma called the Rockaway.

Many company's say their rods are light but Okuma lists the weight.

And ,from my experience it is accurate.

I think all mfg should list rod weights instead of telling me it is “really light”.

Edited by olvart

Someone somewhere is ordering $800 dollar rods from Japan, sight unseen, prob selling used for a loss, looking for that one perfect tool to do one specific job...and having fun doing it. Guys who are happy fishing ugly sticks are probably not in a position to evaluate that decision.

As with so much in life...ignorance is bliss.

Aside from GT Popping and purist Slow Jigging, $100 rods are almost as good as $600 rods less the Titanium guides, Torzites, SICs, and Toray Carbon. But for me, whatever makes me FEEL GOOD is my limit.