Detcher

Classic Catskill Dry Flies

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Hook I said:

Sad news Dave Brandt passed away this month after a long illness , I read this from another site 

Oh man, that is sad. Thank you for sharing the news. Dave was a great guy, he will be missed by anyone fortunate to have known him. 

On 3/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, Hook I said:

As some might have known Dennis @ Catskills Flies passed away last year , Joe Rist will now operate the shop under a new name Trout Town Flies has a new telephone number and will have a new website under construction  ,always had a great hands on selection for the what's needed for the fly guy . 

Looks like the web site is up and running Trout Town Flies , Roscoe NY 607-290-4107  , it looks like the same site but the name heading has changed = Trout Town Flies so a lot of great info is still there & available 

With the request of folks staying local , it’s been pretty much a ghost town up in Roscoe , any water ,anytime and parking is plenty . Feels weird. 

May 2nd just a condition report , with rain the last 72 hrs it was very high and very fast , with beautiful blue skies and sun , just could not take a chance wetting the line , I though the conditions were dangerous for me fishing alone . 

3 mins ago, Hook I said:

May 2nd just a condition report , with rain the last 72 hrs it was very high and very fast , with beautiful blue skies and sun , just could not take a chance wetting the line , I though the conditions were dangerous for me fishing alone . 

Thanks for sharing that. Wisdom is the better part of valor.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:51 AM, Hook I said:

As some might have known Dennis @ Catskills Flies passed away last year , Joe Rist will now operate the shop under a new name Trout Town Flies has a new telephone number and will have a new website under construction  ,always had a great hands on selection for the what's needed for the fly guy . 

When I was writing a fresh water weekly column for Nor'East Saltwater Magazine Dennis Skarka was my "Go To Guy" for information on the 7 major Catskill Trout Streams water conditions, and hatches. I sat on the NY State Waterfowl Seasons Committee and Dennis kept badgering me to get a 365 day season on Cormorants! A good man gone!

its November 20 th some good fishing going on ,water is good , flows are good . late hatches have been tiny BWO. With no traveling this winter to Florida , I'm going to continue to fish thru out the winter . The No Kill sections are very good so as long conditions are fair ,NJ has some waters open all year ,so that's another option . I have done this before & to be honest , dress warm it's a beautiful setting & fish like to eat.  

On 1/2/2020 at 11:07 PM, Ted Pietz said:

The books may fall into the hands of kids if, when you are done with them, you donate them to a library. Just  a thought.

Libraries are often a worse choice than people realize.  They have limited space, and frequently dispose of bookis that don't circulate as actively as others.  I've purchased a lot of used books that way.