Detcher

Classic Catskill Dry Flies

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Many years ago my wife got me a set of the dry fly patterns that Art Flick had in his neat little book. these were tied by my friend Al Brewster who learned how to tie them from art flick. Sorry for the bad photo. These are beautiful and had been my patterns for many years. Although I have also tied my share of hackle less flies, I enjoyed tying my catskil style dry flies and used them quite bit. I loved how they danced on top of the water, The hackle less flies didn't do that. Unfortunately I've also gotten to the point where my eyesight and fine motor skills won't allow me to tie them any more.

IMG_0170.JPG

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

That's very cool "fishing bum." I'm envious that you were a friend of Al Brewster. I did'nt know much about him until we moved to Massachusetts. Great tyer and made many contribution to the flyfishing crowd in New England.  I love tying dries. It's the best when the hackle sits just right. Elegant those Catskill Drys ! I'm sorry for the loss of your skills. When that happens to me I think I'll want to still hang out at the shows and watch others tie and start giving my tying stuff away but finding a young person who can appreciate the stuff is hard to find.  Happy New Year you.

Really small midges size 22 work well in the Catskills too. Black gnat is a good one.

Edited by Ted Pietz
spelling

22 hours ago, Suave said:

Mike: I looked it up. So now we have the Bung fly fishing method and Blob flies. How poetic! Is fly fishing moving into blurping? P

Yes.

Op sorry for the deviation. Nice thread with some wonderful patterns. I like flies tied with hackle. Classics.

We call them “ Blob Yobs”

mike

I have a few well tied flies in my collection.  Some I purchased here, The coffin fly I purchased from the Dettes.  The Adams is one I wrapped.  Something about Catskill flies that grabs ya.

collection1.jpg

greendrake.jpg

ltcahill.jpg

redquill1.jpg

QGordon.jpg

coffinfly1.jpg

twisted.jpg

if anyone is interested google  " Jerry Bartlett angeling collection "  it will give you a nice info. of Catskills flies , hatches , authors , master tyers .

The light Cahill was the first catskill style dry fly I tied, at around age 10 or 11, after being shown the tie by a much older fellow camper at housatonic meadows.  That fly caught on those mid summer evenings on the Housy like nothing I had ever seen before, and was totally to blame for my addiction!  

Great posts and pics gents :th: !

I am also a big fan of the Cahills and Adams. I all honesty I catch more fish on their less traditional parachute versions, but I still tie, carry and fish the traditional versions, the Adams being my favorite;

Adams.jpg.564cb88600ba7ca7133ae2881e495881.jpg

12 hours ago, Orca said:

Nice Gilbey.  Is that moose mane for the tails?

Good eye. Yes moose mane. I know it’s not traditional but I always felt it gave them a little more buoyancy and a better look on the water surface. Plus that and the red trying thread always makes it easy to tell they are my ties. 

Yes Gilbey the Adam's western cousin the Purple Haze uses moose body hair for the tail. The fly is quite successful on western streams as well as on our eastern waters when given a try.

When fishing those streams in the Catskills my box has  plenty of BWO = Blue Wing3C72351B-13A7-4416-AF0F-5814DB552726.png.0a656b5a51aeead87728a2d5bb554316.png Olive they are just about everywhere from April - November . I’m in a local Fly Tying club  where much Catskills history still remains well and alive . I’m in the learning process about 3 years . Learned so much about respect for those waters for fellow members .

Edited by Hook I