Detcher

Classic Catskill Dry Flies

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Detcher said:

Who still uses these classic flies? And where do you buy them?

Joe Fox in Livingston Manor NY he has famous bloodline = Dettes flies  . You won't be disappointed I have plenty of stuff from his fly shop . good luck 

1 hour ago, Ted Pietz said:

I wish we could find a kid to read the books. I was totally immersed in all forms of fishing as  a kid but that was because my Dad was too. Beautiful sunny by the way!

Same as you guys . If I found a young person who was really interest I’d be very happy to give these books away and add some life to them . 

9 hours ago, flyman28 said:

Great Post! Great Story!  I was up in the attic the other day and came across a box full of books.  Art Flicks streamside guide, Rising Trout, Marinaros book.  ended up spending two hours up there.  Wish I knew a kid that would read them. 

The books may fall into the hands of kids if, when you are done with them, you donate them to a library. Just  a thought.

I pulled out a few that weren't chewed on to bad . I did stray from tying them for a bit when the no hackle flies book came out . I still tie them and throw them seriously why wouldn't you. 

P1030162.JPG

11 hours ago, Orca said:

Same as you guys . If I found a young person who was really interest I’d be very happy to give these books away and add some life to them . 

I know Hank Rope ( personally)  who volunteers( many many years )  his time every week teaching school kids tying and casting in one of the local school districts up in Phoenicia NY fine gentleman and fantastic Big Indian fly fishing guide . 

On 1/2/2020 at 7:06 AM, Orca said:

I still use them and tie them. A Quill Gordon sz 18 is a favorite of mine on April afternoons. Love Art Flick's Red Quill as well. Here's one I tied up not too long ago.

image.jpeg

Wow!

Here are a few flies that I always try in summer. Both are Irresistible deer hair body dries. One with variable wings like an Adam the other is a Wolff wing (calf tail)

Enjoy

100_7789.JPG

100_7790.JPG

100_7788.JPG

On 02/01/2020 at 6:54 PM, Orca said:

When I talk about dry flies to tyers these days I get a lot of blank looks .

Hi Orca are you serious.

Are most guys swinging these days.

No drys and fishing great big bobbers to fish nymphs are you guys losing your souls.

mike

Lol !  Not me Mike but yes things have changed a lot. In England if you were caught with a bobber and a nymph dangling from it you'd  be locked  in the Tower for a fortnight.

24 mins ago, Orca said:

Lol !  Not me Mike but yes things have changed a lot. In England if you were caught with a bobber and a nymph dangling from it you'd  be locked  in the Tower for a fortnight.

Skues 

Was pillared Just for fishing nymphs upstream on the hallowed Chalk streams.

He was a man after my own heart.

In my youth a while ago now even a small indicator would be frowned upon at best.

In our large reservoirs we are now allowed to fish what is called the Bung. Google it up. Ugly as sin.

To calibrate I call the big indicators bobbers.

Times sure have changed.

mike

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Skues 

Was pillared Just for fishing nymphs upstream on the hallowed Chalk streams.

He was a man after my own heart.

In my youth a while ago now even a small indicator would be frowned upon at best.

In our large reservoirs we are now allowed to fish what is called the Bung. Google it up. Ugly as sin.

To calibrate I call the big indicators bobbers.

Times sure have changed.

mike

Mike: I looked it up. So now we have the Bung fly fishing method and Blob flies. How poetic! Is fly fishing moving into blurping? P

I enjoyed all of the replies to this topic. had all my catskill dries out the other day and i now have renewed interest in using them again. Hey if they worked back in the 60's and 70's i'm sure they will work now. who knows maybe they will become my new secret weapon

Before he was Bonefish Dick he used to travel to the Catskills streams and take them on , we pm back and forth for a few years , he would tell me about ( I never asked )  Hazel Br. pool , Cairns pool , Sunoco pool & the Hendrickson hatches , he loved those places , he was a nice man and well missed .