Detcher

Classic Catskill Dry Flies

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

I used to love tying them but there aren’t too many great hatches close by.  The few streams that had occasional hatches have been ruined by development.  In any case dette flies has a web site of the same name.  Be warned, many of the dries are 2.75 to 3.00 for a red quill.  I bought a bunch from Winnie back in 86 to use as samples.  Will never know who tied them but they provide great samples to aspire to.

I use them all the time (especially during summer spinner falls at dusk). I tie my own. Check out friend Tim Flagler’s Tightlinevideo on the Light Cahill for reference.

Steve Culton

Posted (edited) · Report post

I still use them and tie them. A Quill Gordon sz 18 is a favorite of mine on April afternoons. Love Art Flick's Red Quill as well. Here's one I tied up not too long ago.

image.jpeg

Edited by Orca

1 hour ago, Orca said:

I still use them and tie them. A Quill Gordon sz 18 is a favorite of mine on April afternoons. Love Art Flick's Red Quill as well. Here's one I tied up not too long ago.

image.jpeg

Nice tie,well proportioned.

Cut my tying teeth on learning Flick/Darbee/Dette patterns....tells on my age,lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks Slip n Slide. Like you when I was a youngster and started tying I was drawn to the dry flies . Not an easy thing when we only had Indian necks to use . When I was in early 20s and fishing the Catskills I stopped in and had a nice visit with Harry Darbee. Nice man and we had a good long talk.

Edited by Orca

When I was a kid, 1960 or so,  I'd go the Coliseum on 59th Street in NYC for the sportsman show held there each spring. A real boys world adventure.

Art Flick would tie flies there and sell them in little square plastic boxes. I got in line and when it was my turn I told him that me and my friend Frank, who was with me, needed a fly to catch bluegills with behind a bobber. The men there were astounded but Art flick smiled. He asked what kind of bugs were dominant and I told him mosquitos which drew a laugh from him, the others followed in laughter. I think that if Art had farted they would have tried to force gas too. He said he did not have a mosquito but would tie one up for me. As he did we talked and he loved my kid enthusiasm. When he was done he put the fly in one of the little boxes. Some man said, "Ask him to sign the little tag", that he had put in the bottom of other boxes. I said no need as the fly would be fished. Mr. Flick said to me when I reached for my money, " No Charge."  I can clearly remember the eye contact and mutual understanding as the men there gasped. Art Flick was  a mans man. The fly on the right is the fly in this story which I decided not to feed to bluegills because it had become part of the memory of Mr. Flick. I learned to tie flies after that myself.

On the following year Lee Wolff had a table and was selling some lies. I bought a Royal Wolff. It is the fly on the right. 

Both flies are perfectly balanced. 

Come to think of it these were the first fishing items I ever collected so I'm glad I wrote this today. 

Enjoy the picture,

Ted 

100_7786.JPG

100_7787.JPG

Nice post Ted.  Art Flick was a real nice guy and especially to the younger guys like myself way back when.  I have two books of his that he signed for me.

23 mins ago, Orca said:

Nice post Ted.  Art Flick was a real nice guy and especially to the younger guys like myself way back when.  I have two books of his that he signed for me.

I bet you treasure the books. I would not sell this fly or the Wolff. Memories have no price. 

Other than a White Wulff, I rarely fish catskill dries anymore.  I have better success with other patterns.  I sure love the way they look though.

CAUGHT MY FIRST FLY ROD TROUT ON A #14 ADAMS IN VT. ON THE

WHITE RIVER. VERY SUCCESSFUL PATTERN. YEAR : 1971

NEXT BEST PATTERN WAS A #14 LIGHT CAHILL

CAUGHT MANY OTHER TROUT ON OTHER CATSKILL PATTERNS

IN VT AND NH.

GREAT FLIES

OTHER GREAT NEW ENGLAND FLIES: GOLD RIBBED HARES EAR,

GRAY WEIGHTED NYMPH AND OF COURSE THE WOOLY BUGGER.

Great Post! Great Story!  I was up in the attic the other day and came across a box full of books.  Art Flicks streamside guide, Rising Trout, Marinaros book.  ended up spending two hours up there.  Wish I knew a kid that would read them. 

2 hours ago, flyman28 said:

Great Post! Great Story!  I was up in the attic the other day and came across a box full of books.  Art Flicks streamside guide, Rising Trout, Marinaros book.  ended up spending two hours up there.  Wish I knew a kid that would read them. 

I wish we could find a kid to read the books. I was totally immersed in all forms of fishing as  a kid but that was because my Dad was too. Beautiful sunny by the way!

It's really nice to see the addition to this thread at 62 years old it's new to me the Catskills fly fishing where have i been ? I know I know but on the beaches the last 50 years . It's taking me to a new adventure.....better late than never  they say  I have attended a few Catskills Fly Fishing museum events with a lot of great guys to watch  Mike Valla , Catskills John , Ed Ostapczuk , Hank Rope to name a few. Yes have read about the greats Flick , Dette's & many more , so interested I planted roots up in Roscoe NY. It's going to be a complete family adventure with the grandkids . Keep posting your stories I really enjoy them thanks for sharing , hope i can contribute . Feel free to pm me