codfish

FISH REPORT 2020 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of Province town "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

1,061 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

can you go to the cape and leave after a couple days ?

you’re already in MA ?  i’m going out soon too but waiting for when i want to be there for a mandatory 14 day self quarantine stretch.

as for the boat... we’re planning to stick to fishing only within self quarantined “safe” groups - people we all trust are taking it serious and keeping safe and to themselves.

then i’d think then you can co-mingle outdoors / on the boat safely.  for me its my brothers family and some other close fishing friends.

you just have to start planning ahead so everyone knows they’ve at least self quarantined the minimum before its time to start fishing!

either that or total separation until there’s a vaccine ???... that may even be after next season ???

My primary residence is in MA.  Wife and I quaranteened for 14 days after we returned from our six week trip in early March.  In hindsight, we really dodged a bullet.  Only travel we do is between our home on the cape and primary residence and then food shopping during senior hours and as few trips as possible.  We bring everything with us when we head to the cape including food. 

Right now my safe group to fish with only includes my wife.  My adult kids with their spouses as well as close friends are uncertain at this time.  

If allowed, it will be interesting to see the procedures at each harbor for social distancing launching.

My boat insurance is due in a few days and I may hold off until I see how this all plays out.

1 hour ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

so some of you think its ok to travel a distance to go fishing?what happened to stay at home ? dont think fishing is a necessity,or maybe it is.

Are you going to stay put or head this way?

I have to agree with both previous comments regarding travel: most probably NOT a good idea.  My post jumped out of the "wishful thinking" part of my brain.

"Cold water therapy" is what keeps me grounded !!

1 hour ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

so some of you think its ok to travel a distance to go fishing?what happened to stay at home ? dont think fishing is a necessity,or maybe it is.

i still travel to go fishing.  i think of it like taking myself for a walk.  been hitting a couple of my favorite spots the last week.  always being safe and responsible, i go from my house to my car (see nobody), park and walk to “my spot” where i usually see next to nobody or stay quite clear - like 100s of yards clear.

going to truro now for me is another thing.  it’d be a commitment.   to maintain social responsibility, we’d wait til we could go and bring everything we’d need to keep to ourselves for at least the minimum two week “suggested” self quarantine.

as for fishing out there, similarly - pick your times and spots - even when it comes to the boat and the ramp etc.

if everyone is mindful, respectful, and socially responsible, i think there will be safe and orderly opportunities for all.

codfish- no, I work in New York City but live in New Jersey by the beach. Oddly enough, I rarely if ever fish down here. But every spring the stripers congregate in Raritan Bay before they head north.

it’s just very different down here – as a general rule, most people don’t have a clue about Boating-most of them don’t belong on the water, as they are out right dangerous. Plus many people are very rude and have zero etiquette.

dana

Just now, Theroe said:

codfish- no, I work in New York City but live in New Jersey by the beach. Oddly enough, I rarely if ever fish down here. But every spring the stripers congregate in Raritan Bay before they head north.

it’s just very different down here – as a general rule, most people don’t have a clue about Boating-most of them don’t belong on the water, as they are out right dangerous. Plus many people are very rude and have zero etiquette.

dana

yea.  that about says it.

for me, “down here” is live and work in nyc (when not in truro or traveling).

the fishing i’m doing these days is some secluded shore spots i like on the n and s shore of long island.

i am a new englander at my core and learned most of my boating skills and basic/general on the water practices on the cape before getting a capt license etc.  down here if boating - i’m usually on a buddy’s boat mid shore (20-50miles) or offshore (70-90) miles seeking pelegics.

its what i call “big ocean“ syndrome down here and you typically have to run pretty far for the action.  but, one internet post and 98% of them all end up w/in 1/4 mile of each-other even if 90 miles offshore.

there really is no other way to say it than the way Theroe puts it.. “most don’t have a clue about boating.... dangerous” although it can be quite amusing listening to all the radio cussing and insulting.

note the few boats catching are usually the ones w/ non locals onboard on their own away from the “fleet”.

staying put until the campground opens,that suppose to be May 5th.Vt just extended the stay at home till May 15th. getting lots of things done in my shop for the house,just pissed that people that had to travel to hike up and ski ruined it for us that live local.i have nothing against guys that are staying local to fish but when you have to travel anydistance to fish i am not in agreement.

32 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

staying put until the campground opens,that suppose to be May 5th.Vt just extended the stay at home till May 15th. getting lots of things done in my shop for the house,just pissed that people that had to travel to hike up and ski ruined it for us that live local.i have nothing against guys that are staying local to fish but when you have to travel anydistance to fish i am not in agreement.

When I travel to Central Vermont hospital for work i still see cars with skis from Connecticut and New York and jersey on 91 and 89 .

Numbers of infected people are still relatively low down here (Truro/Provincetown)....I’d like to see it stay that way....it’s amazing how many people moved down here to their second homes when this hit.....I’ve got no problem with people coming and holing up in their homes like most everyone else here is doing......but imo people coming and going is gonna make things worse......stopping in the grocery store....stopping in Cumberland farms.

I can’t tell anyone what to do but I can tell you I’ve taken serious precautions through this since it started and I’m not going to get lax now.

I’m  gonna fish for sure.......with my wife......alone.

3 hours ago, Corpslave said:

When I travel to Central Vermont hospital for work i still see cars with skis from Connecticut and New York and jersey on 91 and 89 .

Stowe is part of NY in the winter. I rarely ski there any more. Got sick of people cutting me in line and skiing acrsoss my skis. 

3 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Did they shut down the back country? I only got 3 days in before they shut everything down. I had just gotten my ski legs and some new boards and was planning several more trips to the bush.