FISH REPORT 2020 Cape Cod Bay to the Back Side of Province town "sand eel city"

Rate this topic

codfish

8 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

What happens if you hook a seal by accident, or are they too smart to get hooked? I assume with good gear your could eventually wrestle it out of the water?

Not a chance can you get one out of the water.  

I just got back from Nantucket, and had 6 or 7 fish eaten by seals.  These aren’t the little harbor seals.  They’re 4-500lb plus grey seals.  When they grab your fish, you can’t turn them unless you’re fishing the beach with tuna gear.  I was fishing heavy surf gear and those fat suckers are strong and fast.

you have 2 options when they grab your fish.  Either break it off, or give it slack so it’ll start eating the fish.  Once it comes to the surface and grabs the fish with its flippers, it’ll start ripping chunks off.  This is when you can give it a good yank, and you might be able to pull the head and your lure away.  

fortunately the seals are smart enough to not eat a lure and they don’t get foul hooked often.  At least I haven’t seen it happen.

9 hours ago, Corpslave said:

I dont think the seals are all that interested in stripers to be honest. 

Seals have been a problem many nights and days for me in the past.  Bright nights are the worst! Had one on for 45 mins the other night.  Lost my favorite plug.  Sometimes if you ease up on your drag and just wait it out you can get you plug and remainders back as shown in this pic 

D4401FC5-33B6-4BE8-AF84-F358EAAC88C2.jpeg

Edited by Aaron Barmmer

2 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

Seals have been a problem many nights and days for me in the past.  Bright nights are the worst! Had one on for 45 mins the other night.  Lost my favorite plug.  Sometimes if you ease up on your drag and just wait it out you can get you plug and remainders back as shown in this pic 

Yiks

3 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

A needle. Nice

11 hours ago, Kones1 said:

If you fish often you will see things. Nat Geo should hang with Bassmaster. He sees things   Yes indeed. Because he’s out there, fishing and seeing things that people don’t see because they ain’t out there!!! Go look and you will see things too 

Crazy is while drifting for fluke and dragging a 5 gallon bucket to slow the drift a great white eats the bucket them comes back and eats what's left of the rope. "2018" Chatham:):eek::)

50 mins ago, codfish said:

Crazy is while drifting for fluke and dragging a 5 gallon bucket to slow the drift a great white eats the bucket them comes back and eats what's left of the rope. "2018" Chatham:):eek::)

That’s crazy. I bought a drift chute for my paddle board and it’s black. Every time I turn my head I think a baby seal is following me. 

I am simply saying that there is another significant source contributing to the decline of nearshore fisheries other than comms. and recs.

Anyone who has fished from a boat for any amount of time has seen seals eating fish that the seals caught on their own. 

I also think there is not very much we can do about this. The population will continue to grow until the food sources dwindle and then the population will decline until a balance is reached. This is a general statement bc the preditor/prey cycle is very cyclical. It is a natural balance of the eco system.

We will just have to get used to it. The fisheries management folks will continue to make adjustments, but I do not think we will every see the near shore fisheries come back to what they were a decade ago.

15 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I don't think he's gonna make it. Where was that?

Yesterday....Racepoint… On the ORV route just north of the public beach.....Shark cruise back-and-forth for an hour waiting for that thing to get pulled back in with the tide

You dont have to swim faster than the shark........you only have to swim faster than your slowest friend.