Drew C.

SE CT Saltwater Fly Clubs

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, just a couple casts said:

The CT Fly Fisherman's Association meets this Wednesday night in East Hartford. 

It sounds like he wants to make a SE CT fly club. 

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 3:25 PM, Drew C. said:

I looked them up, couldn't find anything even remotely current.

Search Facebook. CT / RI Coastal Fly Fishing Club.

They are still here, active, and have monthly meetings in a library in Groton.

1 hour ago, bassfanatic said:

It sounds like he wants to make a SE CT fly club

Well, yes this part caught my eye

On 1/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, The Graveyard Shift said:

The most important thing is find all fishing related events and start getting word out

because I might be going to the "fishing related event" in East Hartford

16 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

CT / RI Coastal Fly Fishing Club

Capt - thanks. I will look into them. From what I can tell their fb page is private. I also can not seem to find a current/active web page for them. I've come across a few links here and there but it leads to a dead page. That's a little 'odd' in this day and age. But again, I will look.

A long time ago I was a member of ASWF. Out of all the the clubs that I've been in over the years they were the gold standard.

Thanks again.

7 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Capt - thanks. I will look into them. From what I can tell their fb page is private. I also can not seem to find a current/active web page for them. I've come across a few links here and there but it leads to a dead page. That's a little 'odd' in this day and age. But again, I will look.

A long time ago I was a member of ASWF. Out of all the the clubs that I've been in over the years they were the gold standard.

Thanks again.

I sent this message to CT/RI's private Facebook page since I am a member.

Can any club member give me an explaination why your club web pages doesn't seem to be visible anymore? There's a few guys in CT on Stripers on LIne Fly Fishing board looking to join a club. I refered them to this Facebook page, but it's private. No one seems to know that CT/RI exists anymore? Any information would be helpful.

could be that they are not looking to increase membership , there are some fishing clubs you can't get into unless your blood , they don't want self promoting anglers in the mix & it's perfectly understandable . Not saying this is the case or its just shut down due to lack of interest membership .

Good luck with your club venture its a nice thing to be involved in as long as it remains about fishing , fundraising , political support is a lot of hard work involved , trust me I know about a lot of BS also. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, just a couple casts said:

I've been fishing for a long time but I've never been in a club. Curious what self promoting anglers are.

Jerks like that Graveyard shift guy :laugh:

But in all seriousness its guys who are trying to drum up some sort of business under the guise of being helpful to the fly fishing community.  Their core interests are purely financial

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

9 hours ago, just a couple casts said:

I've been fishing for a long time but I've never been in a club. Curious what self promoting anglers are.

Self promoting anglers are ones who continually post pics and reports with an ida in mind for financial gain . Web sites , selling fishing equipment , you tube hits , or fishing guide service  . They expose fishing areas where the reserve angler wants to fish alone with no special interest except catching . That’s why s few clubs are very selective who they membership. 

Well with the decline of the SB population around where I used to live (SW CT) there are less & less fly fishers showing up to fish. Before Sandy, there used to be quite a few showing up at the few shore spots we have. The last couple of years the numbers have dramatically dwindled, as the # of SB & blues (except Sea Robins) have dwindled. The less people fly fishing the salt, the less interest all around.

I'm surprised that we have any shops left that cater to SW, to tell you the truth. It's mostly a trout game there.