bob_G

DCR, Ware River Watershed and Barre Falls access revisited

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, z-man said:

How does paddle boarding/swimming pollute the water more than an a gasoline outboard motor?

You open that can of worms up and they'll say "We'll also have to remove motors from the Quabbin."

BTW, after being out for over 20 years, the DCR finally replaced the small bridge over the east branch of the Ware River. The small wooden bridge was replaced with a beautiful custom steel bridge. The DCR needed to install the bridge since they were conducting logging there, and needed a strong bridge to run the logging trucks over. 

When the logging ended last fall, they built and installed a brand new steel gate, and closed the road to public traffic permanently.

46 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

it's all about Boston.....screw the central part of the state

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

His rationale was as follows. 

Swimming is no longer allowed in Long Pond since the potential exists for polluting the Ware River Watershed, and eventually the Quabbin, and ultimately Boston's water supply. If a person falls off his paddle board, then he is swimming, and technically in violation of the bylaw. 

Clark had the same convoluted reasoning for eliminating the canoe launch on RT 122. The DCR would move it 2 miles upstream, to the nicest trout pool on the river, to a remote area with parking for only a few cars.

Bob,  a perfect example of how those on Beacon Hill, politicians and municipal agencies formulate policy and legislation. ….they subscribe to the greater good theory...…...i.e., the greatest good for the greatest number of people.  .

13 hours ago, z-man said:

How does paddle boarding/swimming pollute the water more than an a gasoline outboard motor?

I was told That oil/gas can be filtered out, but human waste etc can’t....this was in talks with town officials when I was looking at a home in Lakeville on lake Assawomposet which is Tauntons water supply...

1 hour ago, Kanine Kleenup said:

I was told That oil/gas can be filtered out, but human waste etc can’t....this was in talks with town officials when I was looking at a home in Lakeville on lake Assawomposet which is Tauntons water supply...

So, based on that we're to assume all paddle board folks defecate in the water?

43 mins ago, bob_G said:

So, based on that we're to assume all paddle board folks defecate in the water?

Maybe they crap their pants when they fall in. :point:
What about all the bird waste that ends up in the water?  

Just in case anyone is interested in it, the battle wages on. The Worcester Telegram has a front page article about the DCRs proposal to close the area.

Several of us have been working very hard on this, and Sen Ann Gobi has now come on board. 

My feeling is the DCR is surprised all the push back, but is standing their ground.  If you Google the Worcester Telegram, you can read the article.

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Just in case anyone is interested in it, the battle wages on. The Worcester Telegram has a front page article about the DCRs proposal to close the area.

Several of us have been working very hard on this, and Sen Ann Gobi has now come on board. 

My feeling is the DCR is surprised all the push back, but is standing their ground.  If you Google the Worcester Telegram, you can read the article.

Thank you for being an advocate!

Any online petitions setup for this cause Bob G? I would gladly sign my name. I have only briefly used any of the areas mentioned but I do not support closing down access for anybody at any time; especially when it negatively impacts sportsman and women the most.

8 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Any online petitions setup for this cause Bob G? I would gladly sign my name. I have only briefly used any of the areas mentioned but I do not support closing down access for anybody at any time; especially when it negatively impacts sportsman and women the most.

I don't believe there's an online petition.

My buddy and I made Rutland selectman, Jeff Stillings aware if this a month ago. My Stillings, a sportsman himself, drew up a petition which he has circulated among all area sportsmen clubs, including the Worcester County League of Sportsmen.

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

I don't believe there's an online petition.

My buddy and I made Rutland selectman, Jeff Stillings aware if this a month ago. My Stillings, a sportsman himself, drew up a petition which he has circulated among all area sportsmen clubs, including the Worcester County League of Sportsmen.

Glad to see the T&G involved . Mr, Stillings will be collecting petitions on the 20th and will be holding another meeting with the DCR at that time as well. I believe at Rutland town Library . I put a bug in his ear to try to get TV stations involved . Might be a little tough with little lead time . Haven't heard back from him though . All info can be found on his FB page for anyone interested in attending .