bob_G

DCR, Ware River Watershed and Barre Falls access revisited

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Eagles Dare said:

Thanks bob.

 

Was the DCR guy Dan Clark or some low level drone? 

His first name was Dan. I don't hear well, esp in crowds, I didn't catch his last name. Sorry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Well the right guy was there to sway, he has the authority. Doesn't seem the least bit inclined to do so by your report.  

I had no idea who he was until you mentioned his name and I googled it.

His mind was was clearly made up beforehand, and he was simply going through the motions do to speak. Even many members of the WRWC were upset at how inflexible he was. Esp in regards to the old Ware River canoe launch?

 

It concerned many of us that no one from Ma F&W was there. We all buy sporting licenses, and it would have been nice to know they were in the corner of Ma sportsmen.

It was also disappointing not to see anyone from the Ma EP there. They're always looking for our support and sympathy to their problems. However when the roles are reversed, they're nowhere to be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2020 at 2:05 PM, bob_G said:

I had no idea who he was until you mentioned his name and I googled it.

His mind was was clearly made up beforehand, and he was simply going through the motions do to speak. Even many members of the WRWC were upset at how inflexible he was. Esp in regards to the old Ware River canoe launch?

 

It concerned many of us that no one from Ma F&W was there. We all buy sporting licenses, and it would have been nice to know they were in the corner of Ma sportsmen.

It was also disappointing not to see anyone from the Ma EP there. They're always looking for our support and sympathy to their problems. However when the roles are reversed, they're nowhere to be found.

Thats when you sit down and make up a long list of names on a petition and submit it to those in charge . Of course stopping along the way for the signatures of the political representatives that represent the are you speak of. Perhaps you would make more progress that way then going one on one with any one. One voice in the wilderness seldom gets heard, and that is unfortunate it takes more numbers with plenty of local paper information to make it work. After all we the sportsman pay the bills , not to shut things down , but to keep them open. Your Mother left you with a very good example on how to attack these folks and it can still work today , but you need to organize and be a pain in the rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Thats when you sit down and make up a long list of names on a petition and submit it to those in charge . Of course stopping along the way for the signatures of the political representatives that represent the are you speak of. Perhaps you would make more progress that way then going one on one with any one. One voice in the wilderness seldom gets heard, and that is unfortunate it takes more numbers with plenty of local paper information to make it work. After all we the sportsman pay the bills , not to shut things down , but to keep them open. Your Mother left you with a very good example on how to attack these folks and it can still work today , but you need to organize and be a pain in the rear.

Carl,

The DCR has been silently working on this plan for well over 9 months. However, the WRWC and central Ma sportsmen were only made aware of it on Nov 7, 2019. Everyone, including Ma F W was unaware. 

The DCR pulled the rug out from under everyone.

I'm not a voice in the wilderness. There's at least a dozen people now involved. But your point is well taken. This will only be resolved by not being polite, but by being a total pia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much $$$ and effort they actually expend to maintain the roads, if that's really the issue.

I wonder how much they are willing to expend maintaining gates.

But you didn't hear that from me. 

 

:naughty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

t&G had something about changes to boating in Long Pond Rutland because it is part of the ware river watershed.  No motors over 20/25 no resident permits so no water skiing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

t&G had something about changes to boating in Long Pond Rutland because it is part of the ware river watershed.  No motors over 20/25 no resident permits so no water skiing

Also, no paddle boards. At the hearing  Dan Clark of the DCR took tremendous heat on this from a host of local residents. Several locals have been water skiing on Long Pond for decades. According to several in attendance, this was the only reason they owned a boat. Mr. Clark could not have cared less. Completely nonplussed.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

We all know how damaging to the ecosystem those paddleboards are.

 

 

His rationale was as follows. 

Swimming is no longer allowed in Long Pond since the potential exists for polluting the Ware River Watershed, and eventually the Quabbin, and ultimately Boston's water supply. If a person falls off his paddle board, then he is swimming, and technically in violation of the bylaw. 

 

Clark had the same convoluted reasoning for eliminating the canoe launch on RT 122. The DCR would move it 2 miles upstream, to the nicest trout pool on the river, to a remote area with parking for only a few cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bob_G said:

His rationale was as follows. 

Swimming is no longer allowed in Long Pond since the potential exists for polluting the Ware River Watershed, and eventually the Quabbin, and ultimately Boston's water supply. If a person falls off his paddle board, then he is swimming, and technically in violation of the bylaw. 

 

Clark had the same convoluted reasoning for eliminating the canoe launch on RT 122. The DCR would move it 2 miles upstream, to the nicest trout pool on the river, to a remote area with parking for only a few cars.

Guy sounds like a real winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.