bob_G

DCR, Ware River Watershed and Barre Falls access revisited

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ma sportsmen could be in for quite a battle. The consensus at Ma F&W is, the DCR has already made their decision to close it down, and the Jan 16 hearing is a mere formality.   Hunters and fishermen will be locked out, while leaving it open to equestrians, cycling and walking.

100% agree. DCR holds public meeting as a mere formality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they open the gates October 1st, that will still allow pheasant stocking and hunting, right? So fishing is what's going to be majorly affected. A couple mile hike isn't going to stop most spring turkey hunters that I know.  

 

Not saying the DCR ain't autonomous weenies who have forgotten what the "R" in their name stands for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Eagles Dare said:

If they open the gates October 1st, that will still allow pheasant stocking and hunting, right? So fishing is what's going to be majorly affected. A couple mile hike isn't going to stop most spring turkey hunters that I know.  

 

Not saying the DCR ain't autonomous weenies who have forgotten what the "R" in their name stands for.

Not quite right.

The DCR has two  proposed options.

Option 1. Closing it down from Jan 1- Oct 1. This would possibly still allow pheasant and upland hunting, but all but end trout fishing, early season bear and dog training.

Option 2. Close it from Jan 1 until deer season. This would effectively end upland bird, trout, early season bear, and dog training.

The DCR is leaning towards Option 2.

 

That being said, I'm surprised by your remark. Why should any Ma sportsmen be denied the right to pursue activities in state land? Just keep in mind, the DCR is doing this all over the state. On the canal the DCR controls all access from the Scusset gate to Pips Rip. Just like Barre Falls, some 10 years ago they tried to deny fishermen access to this part of the canal.

Edited by bob_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Not quite right.

The DCR has two  proposed options.

Option 1. Closing it down from Jan 1- Oct 1. This would possibly still allow pheasant and upland hunting, but all but end trout fishing, early season bear and dog training.

Option 2. Close it from Jan 1 until deer season. This would effectively end upland bird, trout, early season bear, and dog training.

The DCR is leaning towards Option 2.

 

That being said, I'm surprised by your remark. Why should any Ma sportsmen be denied the right to pursue activities in state land? Just keep in mind, the DCR is doing this all over the state. On the canal the DCR controls all access from the Scusset gate to Pips Rip. Just like Barre Falls, some 10 years ago they tried to deny fishermen access to this part of the canal.

 

No, I'm with you. I'm not sure where you got I wasn't. All I was saying is at least it's still open. 

 

The DCR is no friend of MA Sportsmen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

 

No, I'm with you. I'm not sure where you got I wasn't. All I was saying is at least it's still open. 

 

The DCR is no friend of MA Sportsmen. 

Ok thanks. My error. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Not quite right.

The DCR has two  proposed options.

Option 1. Closing it down from Jan 1- Oct 1. This would possibly still allow pheasant and upland hunting, but all but end trout fishing, early season bear and dog training.

Option 2. Close it from Jan 1 until deer season. This would effectively end upland bird, trout, early season bear, and dog training.

The DCR is leaning towards Option 2.

 

That being said, I'm surprised by your remark. Why should any Ma sportsmen be denied the right to pursue activities in state land? Just keep in mind, the DCR is doing this all over the state. On the canal the DCR controls all access from the Scusset gate to Pips Rip. Just like Barre Falls, some 10 years ago they tried to deny fishermen access to this part of the canal.

Are these people elected to this board? Sound like a bunch of tree huggers to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, gray gables said:

Are these people elected to this board? Sound like a bunch of tree huggers to me. 

From what I've been told, DCR supervisors are political appointees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bdowning said:

A notorious hack haven. :rolleyes:


The shmo that checked in my deer at a DCR location this past season was a perfect example.   Clearly just someone's nephew who needed a job.  Had no interest or knowledge of forestry, law enforcement, conservation, hunting, fishing, etc.   Wasn't even planning on staying at work because it was such a rainy day.   he admitted this *** to me while my deer sat in the back of my truck getting rained on while he was 2 hours late getting there.   Said "nobody checks em in second week anyhow."   (a friend and I both shot does at the end of day on Saturday)  Only came by to punch in and go home.    DCR should be abolished and hand control over state lands to MFW.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went.

The hearing was better attended. More local sportsmen, both fly fishermen and bird hunters. Apparently my phone calls and emails helped. My good friend Peter Abramson deserves many thanks for getting the word out among bird hunters in his clubs.

 

Sadly, not much has changed. The DCR representative was there to simply repeat the "company line". He was just there to cover the law. It was clear their minds were already made up.  I spoke several times, each time directing pertinent, pointed questions directly to him and the DCR. As did many others in attendance. All our questions and concerns were met with lines from obviously prepared statements. 

 

Here's the way it concluded.

1.The DCR is considering opening the WMA on Oct 1 to accommodate bird hunters. Again, they are only considering it at this time.

2. They remain steadfast in keeping it closed from Jan 1 through Oct 1. Case closed.

This will effectively eliminate trout fishing in both the east and west branch of the Ware River. This really be hit a nerve with the many elderly fly fishermen in attendance. They all said the same thing. They'd now have to walk 4 miles in waders just to get to the river. However, if the gates are locked, Ma F&W will no longer be able to stock trout there.  Several of these gentlemen stated they were in their mid 70s, and were no longer capable of doing it. 

The DCR smug response was "sorry". Shrugging his shoulders and never even making eye contact.

3. NWTF had someone there. They expressed serious concerns over the future of spring turkey hunting. Locked gates and no vehicular access makes most of the area inaccessible.  Once again, the DCR was indifferent.

4. The DCR is closing the canoe ramp on RT 122 of the Ware River this spring. This is already etched in stone.  Most of the Ware River Watershed Committee (WRWC) was confounded by this. This easily accessible area has been the only canoe access point on the river for over 60 years.  It's only lightly used, and there's never been an incident.  In spite of the WRWC's objections, once again, the DCR rep remained steadfast. They will close it.

 

In conclusion, the DCR plans are not finalized yet, but it's getting close. There's another meeting of the Ware River Watershed Committee scheduled for Feb 20, 7pm, at the Rutland library. 

I'll be there, along with many of my fellow bird hunters, fly fishermen and outdoorsmen. 

Edited by bob_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.