bob_G

DCR, Ware River Watershed and Barre Falls access revisited

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, z-man said:

There’s a lot of scumbags out there. Someone dumped a whole truck load of windows at one place I fish this past summer. 

Have you even hunted or fished there?

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Have you even hunted or fished there?

No I haven’t yet.  I meant “out there” in a general term meaning everywhere. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, z-man said:

No I haven’t yet.  I meant “out there” in a general term meaning everywhere. 

I fish and hunt there over 50 days a year.  If you drove around there for 2 weeks you'd be hard pressed to fill a kitchen garbage bag.

Edited by bob_G

On 1/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, ged said:

DCR also opens land and doesn’t tell anyone :)

Hey the less the public knows, the less time the dcr will have to spend maintaining these places. :beatin:

This quote from the DCR website:

"DCR is committed to sharing information with the public and to engaging them in dialogue on the issues, programs, and projects that relate to our agency's broad conservation and recreation mission."

Really?

Edited by bdowning

8 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

Found the upcoming meeting listed here.

https://www.mass.gov/dcr-public-meetings-information

Thank you for posting that P and T. 

The DCR posted that on their site at my behest.  They were going to wait the "legally required" 3-4 days prior to the hearing before notifying the public. An obvious ploy to reduce attendance. But I was such a pia about it, they posted it sooner.

I can't comment on Barre Falls as I've never hunted there, but I do remember when they banned motorized vehicles from most of the roads in Myles Standish SF...without a doubt it improved the hunting opportunities by making most of the dirt roads huntable areas without having to worry about some guy in a pickup drive by while your on a stand...

Edited by jettyjockey18

3 mins ago, jettyjockey18 said:

I can't comment on Barre Falls as I've never hunted there, but I do remember when they banned motorized vehicles from most of the roads in Myles Standish SF...without a doubt it improved the hunting opportunities by making most of the dirt roads huntable areas without having to worry about some guy in a pickup drive by while your on a stand...

Deer hunting will not be impacted at Barre Falls, since the roads will be open during deer season. At least so they say.

It's all other hunting, fishing and related activities which will potentially be impacted.  Barre Falls is vast, over 22,000 acres. With most, if not all of the better upland bird covers and trout fishing areas being located in the interior of the WMA. Imagine having to walk in 2-3 miles with dogs, before you even begin to hunt. Imagine having to walk the same in waders just to reach the trout streams.

On 1/5/2020 at 0:47 PM, bob_G said:

Deer hunting will not be impacted at Barre Falls, since the roads will be open during deer season. At least so they say.

It's all other hunting, fishing and related activities which will potentially be impacted.  Barre Falls is vast, over 22,000 acres. With most, if not all of the better upland bird covers and trout fishing areas being located in the interior of the WMA. Imagine having to walk in 2-3 miles with dogs, before you even begin to hunt. Imagine having to walk the same in waders just to reach the trout streams.

could you use an electric bike? No one would hear you of course.

If it wasn't for the "fact" that there are under currents of kowtowing to other user groups, I would say "excellent!  It's like making a 34 square mile wilderness area!   That should make it great for hunting and keep the pesky litterers out of the good fishing holes!"

On the other hand, we know that this is just another shoe dropping where eventually the equestrians and their ilk will push to restrict other activities because they're unrelenting snotdraggons..

And on the third hand, what you're saying is the equivolent of wanting to fish the Scussett Jetty, but you will have to leave your car parked outside the Port O Call at 2am and walk the full length of the canal to get there carrying all of your gear through brambles and equestrian infested access roads?

On 1/7/2020 at 3:30 PM, pogie_boy said:

If it wasn't for the "fact" that there are under currents of kowtowing to other user groups, I would say "excellent!  It's like making a 34 square mile wilderness area!   That should make it great for hunting and keep the pesky litterers out of the good fishing holes!"

On the other hand, we know that this is just another shoe dropping where eventually the equestrians and their ilk will push to restrict other activities because they're unrelenting snotdraggons..

And on the third hand, what you're saying is the equivolent of wanting to fish the Scussett Jetty, but you will have to leave your car parked outside the Port O Call at 2am and walk the full length of the canal to get there carrying all of your gear through brambles and equestrian infested access roads?

We all need to put more effort into having more excess available for both hunting and fishing it is a common problem no matter where we go. A more organized process perhaps would increase those possibilities. before it is to late. From a recent conversation in regards to the canal train it will only be a matter of time before we all see a fence on the land side of the railroad tracks to allow the train to travel a little faster. The parking will be limited as well . Golf carts may be employed for the tourists to go on site seeing tours , now that will be an interesting site to see for sure' Peace   

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Up Dates??????????????

I've been in contact with a couple of high ranking  officials at Ma F&W, inc the central Ma director. 

They're very concerned, since losing Barre Falls would have a serious impact for all Ma sportsmen, and their pheasant and trout program as well.   They've contacted the DCR, and the DCR remain steadfast and completely unsympathetic. Maintaining the roads and picking up trash is too expensive, and no longer fits in the mission description.

The hearing is this Thursday, 7pm at Rutland library. I'm driving in for it. It should be interesting.

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

took a ride there and the gates were locked.... I'm planning on attending the hearing. such a beautiful place to loose

Ma sportsmen could be in for quite a battle. The consensus at Ma F&W is, the DCR has already made their decision to close it down, and the Jan 16 hearing is a mere formality.   Hunters and fishermen will be locked out, while leaving it open to equestrians, cycling and walking.