bob_G

DCR, Ware River Watershed and Barre Falls access revisited

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Just wanted to post an update.

I've been communicating with the Ma DCR quite a bit of late regarding proposed access restrictions to Barre Falls and the Ware River Watershed.

It's not published  on their website for some reason, but the next hearing is scheduled for January 16, 2020. Once again, it will be held at the Rutland library at 7pm. I asked why they haven't posted anything about the hearing so the public would be aware? I was told they are only legally obligated to post notice 3-4 days before the event.

I was told they are leaning towards closing all the roads to the entire 22,000 acre area from Jan 1-Oct 1. If approved, this would effectively end trout fishing to both the east and west branches of the Ware River. It would also effectively end spring tom season there as well.

If you're a Ma sportsman who hunts or fishes this beautiful piece of public land, you should try and attend this hearing. Little by little Ma sportsmen are losing access all over the state.

I was wondering why I didn't find anything about it on their site . Prior to this I believe you had mentioned something about Equestrian interest ? Question is are they instrumental ( possibly ) in part for the closure ? It's been a great many years since I've fished the area but don't relish the thought of losing land supported by sportsmen lost to those who don't . 

On 1/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, bob_G said:

Just wanted to post an update.

I've been communicating with the Ma DCR quite a bit of late regarding proposed access restrictions to Barre Falls and the Ware River Watershed.

It's not published  on their website for some reason, but the next hearing is scheduled for January 16, 2020. Once again, it will be held at the Rutland library at 7pm. I asked why they haven't posted anything about the hearing so the public would be aware? I was told they are only legally obligated to post notice 3-4 days before the event.

I was told they are leaning towards closing all the roads to the entire 22,000 acre area from Jan 1-Oct 1. If approved, this would effectively end trout fishing to both the east and west branches of the Ware River. It would also effectively end spring tom season there as well.

If you're a Ma sportsman who hunts or fishes this beautiful piece of public land, you should try and attend this hearing. Little by little Ma sportsmen are losing access all over the state.

Why do they want to close access to this? 

5 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

I was wondering why I didn't find anything about it on their site . Prior to this I believe you had mentioned something about Equestrian interest ? Question is are they instrumental ( possibly ) in part for the closure ? It's been a great many years since I've fished the area but don't relish the thought of losing land supported by sportsmen lost to those who don't . 

4 hours ago, gray gables said:

Why do they want to close access to this? 

In spite of the fact their field office is a mere 2 miles away, the DCR no longer wants to maintain the roads there. It's that simple.  Lock the gates and be done with it.

Yes, there's been a lot of pressure exerted by the local equestrian community. If the roads are in fact closed, horseback riding, cycling, and hiking will still be allowed, on a year round basis. Even snow mobiling. However it's Ma sportsmen that will be the big losers.

16 hours ago, bob_G said:

In spite of the fact their field office is a mere 2 miles away, the DCR no longer wants to maintain the roads there. It's that simple.  Lock the gates and be done with it.

Yes, there's been a lot of pressure exerted by the local equestrian community. If the roads are in fact closed, horseback riding, cycling, and hiking will still be allowed, on a year round basis. Even snow mobiling. However it's Ma sportsmen that will be the big losers.

Of course it'll remain open for the rest why shouldn't it .

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

Of course it'll remain open for the rest why shouldn't it .

From the tiny bit of info out there I am gathering the DCR wants to restric vehicle access only, not  denying anyone the right to hunt or fish..  If they are allowing snowmobiles I would assume that quads, diet bikes and golf carts would be allowed.  Personally, I am grateful that vehicles are not allowed in the Quabbin Reservation, in the many years I have fished there I have seen 1-2 other people, no littering and experienced peace and tranquility...………………...

Edited by b-ware

4 hours ago, b-ware said:

From the tiny bit of info out there I am gathering the DCR wants to restric vehicle access only, not  denying anyone the right to hunt or fish..  If they are allowing snowmobiles I would assume that quads, diet bikes and golf carts would be allowed.  Personally, I am grateful that vehicles are not allowed in the Quabbin Reservation, in the many years I have fished there I have seen 1-2 other people, no littering and experienced peace and tranquility...………………...

Bernie,

I can understand and appreciate what you're saying. However, while Quabbin is a reservation, Barre Falls is a wildlife management area. Under the jurisdiction of three agencies, the US ACOE, Ma F and W, and the DCR. It's been open to Ma sportsmen since it's inception. 

Just curious if there is anything preventing the DCR from giving the hatchery a set of gate keys for the purpose of stocking?

Another thing I have thought of is that the states doesn't seem to care about access to WMA's as long as there is access to walk in. I believe Martin Burns WMA access roads are locked outside of pheasant season.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

I can understand and appreciate what you're saying. However, while Quabbin is a reservation, Barre Falls is a wildlife management area. Under the jurisdiction of three agencies, the US ACOE, Ma F and W, and the DCR. It's been open to Ma sportsmen since it's inception. 

Bob, the DCR is NOT shutting down the wildlife management areas, the proposal is to POSSIBLY limit vehicle access, hunting and fishing and all other recreational uses will be permitted....

PS the Barre Falls area is still part of the Quabbin Water system, just like Wachusett, Sudbury ect.

20 mins ago, Joser said:

Just curious if there is anything preventing the DCR from giving the hatchery a set of gate keys for the purpose of stocking?

Another thing I have thought of is that the states doesn't seem to care about access to WMA's as long as there is access to walk in. I believe Martin Burns WMA access roads are locked outside of pheasant season.

There are many, many wildlife management areas with no vehicle access across the state...……..

1 hour ago, z-man said:

Are a lot of people driving in there tearing up the land and or having parties?  That gets places shut down. 

Not to mention people dumping trash and junkies hanging around. Junkies love secluded fishing areas. I see them more and more these days. 

3 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Not to mention people dumping trash and junkies hanging around. Junkies love secluded fishing areas. I see them more and more these days. 

There’s a lot of scumbags out there. Someone dumped a whole truck load of windows at one place I fish this past summer. 

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

Restricting access that has been open historically is a loss for sportsmen. DCR knows what they are doing before they have any public meeting. Those meetings are a formality.