UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

MOCO yesterday from 1 to 4 PM. Couldn't find them. Tried 3 different spots in moco. Not a bump. Very fishable and was quite surprised couldn't raise a fish. Temps will be higher than normal for next 2 weeks, 61 on Saturday, so I can't see this being the end. We'll see...

Went out yesterday from 2-3pm MoCo. Girlfriend bought me a Mag darter for Christmas, among other gear. Figured it was a good day to test it out. Strong north west wind made it easy to get it out there. Caught a 22" on my first cast, nothing after that. Classic first cast jynx. 

Really quiet this morning with calm waters and cold air.  Best I could do was one hit at the end of a cast.  Loons were also staying way off the beach so guess that's where all the food and fish were.  Colder weather moving in the next few days so may not get out again till later in the week.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, fishless said:

If you have the Vision Surf Eel, try trimming it down along the top removing the fin and making it more stream lined. 

This was perfect tip for everyone

Edited by Goldy

2 hours ago, fishless said:

If you have the Vision Surf Eel, try trimming it down along the top removing the fin and making it more stream lined. 

It still sucks. 

Had 30 minutes to fart around this evening after dark. SoMoCo, end of outgoing tide, very light W wind. Water clean but little to no surf...flat. Only threw the Tsunami eel. Skunk. But it was a beautiful night to walk the beach.  Not packing it in yet.

Last few outings down here in Northern and Central OCO have been much slower.  Just a handful of fish caught between the handful of guys fishing.  Maybe those fish from up north move down the beach?  We'll see.

Hit the Moco beaches 9 AM to 10:30 yesterday casting sabiki to see if there are any herring around.

Half an hour on the surf, got nothing.

Another hour off a jetty on the water and the inlet jetty was also fruitless.  Called it quits at 10:30 just as the sun broke from the clouds.

As I was walking back to the car, an old salt was getting ready to go casting.  Introduced himself as Don, and that he did not recognize me from around here.  I told him I grew up in Jersey, but miss the fishing and came up from Virginia.

He showed me a little 3 inch, diamond jig he got in Panama City FLA, that he said just slays the Stripers.  Got for $1.50 he said.

Only saw one other guy on the rocks on the opposite side of the Jetty.  He didn't look like he had much luck either.

Lots of seabirds in the water.  One hanging near me kept diving and popping up 50 yards from where he went in.

Wanted to stay, but I had an appointment.  Later, I wanted to get the sabiki in on some of the municipal piers along the seaside towns inside Sandy Hook Bay, but a contractor issue on one of my properties delayed me and soon it was time for the 4 hours drive back to Virginia.  All in All, a good weekend. 

Edited by BillHoo

4 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Hit the Moco beaches 9 AM to 10:30 yesterday casting sabiki to see if there are any herring around.

Half an hour on the surf, got nothing.

Another hour off a jetty on the water and the inlet jetty was also fruitless.  Called it quits at 10:30 just as the sun broke from the clouds.

As I was walking back to the car, an old salt was getting ready to go casting.  Introduced himself as Don, and that he did not recognize me from around here.  I told him I grew up in Jersey, but miss the fishing and came up from Virginia.

He showed me a little 3 inch, diamond jig he got in Panama City FLA, that he said just slays the Stripers.  Got for $1.50 he said.

Only saw one other guy on the rocks on the opposite side of the Jetty.  He didn't look like he had much luck either.

Lots of seabirds in the water.  One hanging near me kept diving and popping up 50 yards from where he went in.

Wanted to stay, but I had an appointment.  Later, I wanted to get the sabiki in on some of the municipal piers along the seaside towns inside Sandy Hook Bay, but a contractor issue on one of my properties delayed me and soon it was time for the 4 hours drive back to Virginia.  All in All, a good weekend. 

Wait, let me understand this.. You came up from Virginia for January stripers?

No, I came from Virginia for possible run of Atlantic herring.

Actually, I came up for an appointment at the VA hospital, to visit my mother, and manage my rental property.

Fishing was #4 in the list, but took up most of the time.  

Edited by BillHoo

With a storm front on the way and a NNE wind starting to blow, figured it was worth giving it a try this evening.  Water was looking fishy but didn't see a lot going on.  Managed to find 2 during the last 20 mins or so before dark.  Wind shifting to the west by morning and we will be back to flat water.  If we don't get the snow will probably give it a shot tomorrow.  Keep looking for a reason to pack it in but fish keep showing up.

DSCF2962.JPG

Had the same thinking as @MC55 but didn’t have quite the luck. 30 min SoMoCo before dark. End of incoming tide, real clean green water. Not as much white water as I had expected. May start trying more south at the end of the week and weekend.