UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

Wanted to get one more outing in before tomorrow’s blow. 1 hr this afternoon, end of incoming into outgoing tide. Like most reports from this afternoon, it was slow. Water conditions great but not as much white water. 2 fish in the first 20 min and then nothing. Both on the Tsunami eel.

B51A9A8C-E0F7-4180-93E5-996C5EBBD558.jpeg

MOCO- Bites have been surprisingly well all around the places i've hit between yesterday and today. Went out in the afternoon, very foggy, picked up 14 bass and dropped a couple more all on swimbaits, Yesterday - SOMOCO- Slower bite only picked up 5 fish in a long period of fishing but still glad that most people have packed up and left the fish all for me!

2 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Wanted to get one more outing in before tomorrow’s blow. 1 hr this afternoon, end of incoming into outgoing tide. Like most reports from this afternoon, it was slow. Water conditions great but not as much white water. 2 fish in the first 20 min and then nothing. Both on the Tsunami eel.

B51A9A8C-E0F7-4180-93E5-996C5EBBD558.jpeg

Nice fish...   I was wondering what going on with that hook near the Stripers dorsal fin ?  there doesn't seem to be any line attached to it ...   Did it just happen to be sitting there in the sand where you landed your fish.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

MoCo 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM   I walked out onto the jetty and saw much bigger waves than I was expecting.   It was a lot calmer when I checked the beach cams in the morning.   Lots of white water, but I didn't see any bait fish.  I was hoping the the rain predicted for 7 PM would hold off, but unfortunately it started about half hour after I arrived.  It was fairly light rain anyway.    I started out with the Storm Sand Eel   The waves were looking too big to go out to the tip so I fished the more sheltered water.   After a while the tide was getting pretty low and I started getting snagged with the Storm Sand Eel so I switched over to the Purple Back Silver SP Minnow.   I wasn't getting any bites but at least I was not getting snagged.  I figured by now I should try the tip of the jetty.    It was pretty rough at the tip and I had to detangle my Teaser and my plug every few cast.   It was starting to look pretty bleak, but I was determined to stay at least 2 hours...  so I decided to go back to fish the more sheltered water.   After about 10 minutes I noticed a swirl when I lifted my lure out of the ot another smaller Striper.  Then ten minutes later I got my biggest for the night ( a 23 inwater.    A few minutes later I hooked up with my first Striper.  Turned out to be a nice 22 inch Striper.   5 minutes later I gch Striper )   the first 3 fish were on the Sp Minnow.   15 minutes later I got a smaller Striper on the Teaser.   It was pretty quiet after that so I thought that I should try to go back to the Tip of the Jetty.   The waves had built up even bigger as the wind had also picked up and shifted from the West to North West.   I gave it a shot for a few minutes and got splashed pretty good and retreated back to the sheltered water.   I figured 15 more minutes there and I would head home.   Ten minutes later I got another Striper on the SP Minnow.    By that time the wind was blowing 15 to 20 from the NW and and the waves getting really big.   I gave it another 10 minutes and then it was time to go....   

Striper1.jpg

Striper2.jpg

Striper3.jpg

Striper4.jpg

Striper5.jpg

Edited by UncleJohn

Was able to get a quick outing in on a beautiful gloveless Saturday night in SMOCO.  Fished the bottom of the outgoing and managed to get (1) at 22" on a Tsunami Sand Eel.  20200105_002711.jpg.08b841746e8dbb95435bebdd281977d5.jpg

6 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Nice fish...   I was wondering what going on with that hook near the Stripers dorsal fin ?  there doesn't seem to be any line attached to it ...   Did it just happen to be sitting there in the sand where you landed your fish.   

Thanks! Great observation John. Yes, it was an old hook. I noticed it as well and picked it and discarded when I was done. 

Gave it a shot this AM. My baby had basketball practice and had time to fart around. NoMoCo 30 min. Healthy NW blow. End of outgoing tide, water decently clean, no suds or surf. I thought I would be the only one out there but there was another fellow walking the sand. Neither of us caught. Just sandblasted my backside. Hopefully this doesn’t mark the end of the season.

1 hour ago, DeeMonee said:

Gave it a shot this AM. My baby had basketball practice and had time to fart around. NoMoCo 30 min. Healthy NW blow. End of outgoing tide, water decently clean, no suds or surf. I thought I would be the only one out there but there was another fellow walking the sand. Neither of us caught. Just sandblasted my backside. Hopefully this doesn’t mark the end of the season.

I give you credit.  Bouy. Was reading 45mph gusts.  You get an A for effort

11 hours ago, LastCast82 said:

Was able to get a quick outing in on a beautiful gloveless Saturday night in SMOCO.  Fished the bottom of the outgoing and managed to get (1) at 22" on a Tsunami Sand Eel.  20200105_002711.jpg.08b841746e8dbb95435bebdd281977d5.jpg

Nice job my friend. Is that the first of 2020? 

3 hours ago, Bomberman86 said:

Nice job my friend. Is that the first of 2020? 

Hey thanks there Bomberman86, yes it was the first of 2020.  With the upcoming mild temperatures hopefully it's not the last of this season!

Started lower moco water was clean very little waves but windy 45 minutes no bites

move up little north same conditions but wind picked up little and another 45 minutes with nothing 

just before sunset move little more north and still nothing 

will try again in a few days

MoCo for about 45 min late morning.  Only chance I had to get out. Flat clean water but boy was that wind kicking. Pretty easy to cast a mile but the tide and time where not in my favor. Flipping a coin between staying local for first light  in MoCo tomorrow or heading to OC.  
 I will just have to see where the wind blows me in the am.....pun intended. 

SOMOCO-very clean water, low wave action, High winds however still manageable enough to cast, no bites in the first 4 1/2 hors and picked one very small bass towards the end of the session. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

the usual Mirena on Sunday two fish Herring with Sabiki.

Windy and really cold. I only stayed out there about 30 minutes, not a bite.  

* Set up my green fishing light in the water, and started casting. Lots of small bait hanging by the Light. But no bites. Fished from 5 to 7 p.m.

I think we went and had dinner at a local pizza place. Resume fishing at 9 p.m. on the incoming tide. Tried fishing on the drawbridge, some guys came out and chased me away. They told me I couldn't fish there, unless I wanted to take a ride on the bridge when it goes up.

I moved back to the * bulkhead, and set up my light again. Fish from 9:30 p.m. to 11.  No bites.

Edited by TimS
No need for the specifics of where you fished, please keep it a little more general - thanks :-)