UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

I haven’t caught crap with the surf eels either. Tsunami sand eels have always worked for me. This fall was all bucktails and teasers for me. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got my 1st fish of the new decade this morn. Worked hard for 2 @ 24” other side of bar! Water was clean and fishable! Both teaser fish, loons working other side of bar also! Gloveless in January, nice to be out and catching!

Edited by libertyminded

47 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

Agreed it has to be the sand eel. 

I've got several packs of surf eels in a couple of different colors and they sit at home.  Never really knew what the surf eel was designed to imitate & I always found the shape to be kinda odd.  Bottom line is that for anything I throw, if I can't throw it with confidence, then why bother throwing it at all.

I've thrown the vision surf eel a lot this fall, and didn't catch dick on it... did best on bill hurleys sand eel cut down 

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

I've thrown the vision surf eel a lot this fall, and didn't catch dick on it... did best on bill hurleys sand eel cut down 

Head south from Lot I. :th:

5 hours ago, Potato Caboose said:

Looks like the big girls took outside route following bait and will enter Chesapeake south via cape Charles. Many used to cut through Delaware Bay.

https://tightlineswithalristori.com/

I don't think they ever "cut through" the bay. That would mean they used the C&D Canal which dumps them into the Elk River. The fall fishery was generally a mid and lower Delaware Bay deal and they would show up at the mouth of the Chesapeake. The Virginia fishery was always a CBBT and mouth of the bay fishery. 

They moved into the Del Bay, backed out and continued migrating down. 

51 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

I don't think they ever "cut through" the bay. That would mean they used the C&D Canal which dumps them into the Elk River. The fall fishery was generally a mid and lower Delaware Bay deal and they would show up at the mouth of the Chesapeake. The Virginia fishery was always a CBBT and mouth of the bay fishery. 

There used to be a much bigger population of Delaware River fish too, that over wintered and spawned there.  The disappearance of that populace is why the Cape May rips are no longer one of the best places on the coast to fish, in my opinion. 

1 min ago, Bluetaildragger said:

There used to be a much bigger population of Delaware River fish too, that over wintered and spawned there.  The disappearance of that populace is why the Cape May rips are no longer one of the best places on the coast to fish, in my opinion. 

The bay and river are a disaster for sure. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

There is still a population of large that winters over in the lower Delaware Bay. They are still there (one of our own here while doing an environmental survey stumbled on them)

Edited by Sudsy

3 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

Pretty sure state funded study done 15 yrs ago or so that indicated a significant number of fish migrated through c&d

3 mins ago, Goldy said:

On the 2020 board.   They are still around.   Landed two for a quick after work outing

09731F99-0CF6-46D6-ABDF-0E36F63B430F.jpeg

Still biting on the eel imitations i see?