UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

205 posts in this topic

1 min ago, fishless said:

I think u suffered some dain bramage in that accident. 

I did. It's what I tell the wife when I forget to do stuff she asked me to. :p

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

Found these cleaning out my man cave yesterday.  2020 is off to a good start.

32634355-CD21-49DE-A9FC-B7AD51883CB3.jpeg

That Vision Sand Eel is nice but the Vision Surf Eel is the one that get my vote.

NoMoCo _ 1:30 to 3:30. Dropping tide creating a little white water on the bar. Light SE wind and swell. Really nice water and increasing clouds. Got1 fat 25" bass on a mag darter, and a couple of other hits. Nice way to start the new year. 

1 hour ago, CharlieK said:

That Vision Sand Eel is nice but the Vision Surf Eel is the one that get my vote.

the surf eel tails were always a little to flimsy for me, I feel like they’d get permanently bent/break pretty easily.

That being said I’d still use either if they were available.

There’s a popular tackle shop near an NJ inlet that still has a pack or two of surf eels sitting on their shelves.  I believe in pearl white. 

Didn't get out this morning since I had to be in the dentist chair getting a root canal, what fun.  With the mild temps this evening and the need to get some fresh air, hit the local sand.  Water was still a bit off color but managed to find my first two 2020 stripers along with a couple other bumps.  Plan on heading south again in the morning.  Not ready to pack it in yet.

Tried hard to get a New Year’s Eve and Day fish but no go.

Tried again this AM, 30 min pre dawn MoCo. Water cleaned up nice. End of outgoing tide with a lot of skinny water. Wind knotted towards the end. Skunk

Tried for the dusk bite SoMoCo. Middle to end of outgoing. Got 1 lil guy and a couple of bumps. One guy north of us had a nice honey hole. He pulled in 7 while I was there. At least I caught my first fish of 2020. More rain tomorrow...

4981FE8E-0AFF-4F26-9A20-5F222BFFCADA.jpeg

Gonna give it a shot this weekend. Got skunked the last time I was out before the NE blow. Cant end the season on a bad note like that. Although I suppose if I do well this weekend I'll have to get out again to keep chasing that high. Quite the quandary. What type of bait are you guys observing as of late?

1 hour ago, adams54 said:

What type of bait are you guys observing as of late?

Smaller, thinner baits, sandeels or spearing, then herring are still showing at last light

Posted (edited) · Report post

Out last night for a skunkin.  Water cleaned up real good in MOCO.  Absolutely beautiful weather last night but not having any luck in the dark for me. Still waiting for first 2020 fish and also NOT packing it in yet.

Edited by AH Perry