UncleJohn

January 2020 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

312 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, kurazy kracka said:

tell me which fish has better odds of survival, a C&R'd one or one in a cooler?

Not much of a question. No fishing for them 9% die, thats a lot of eggs (millions) that don't have a chance pre spawn. If you kill then on the way out post spawn that's a lot of eggs that won't be produced next year. Give them a break if you care about the future.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Bristol Lou said:

Not much of a question. No fishing for them 9% die, thats a lot of eggs (millions) that don't have a chance pre spawn. If you kill then on the way out post spawn that's a lot of eggs that won't be produced next year. Give them a break if you care about the future.

inaccurate.

The mortality of a non-guthooked bass in cold water drops to 1.6% (water temp 57-59) and goes up to 3.7% for water temps of 61-62. Now if you're being a clown keeping it out of the water for 10 minutes for photos to be a SOL/internet hero that'll change it.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/crmortalityresearch.pdf 

Edited by kurazy kracka

A little over two weeks to go, prepare to pay top dollar for bloodworms! If only those damn worms can be bred like earthworms.....any bloodworm alternatives? 

10 mins ago, adoboboy said:

A little over two weeks to go, prepare to pay top dollar for bloodworms! If only those damn worms can be bred like earthworms.....any bloodworm alternatives? 

Hotdogs

1 hour ago, kurazy kracka said:

inaccurate.

The mortality of a non-guthooked bass in cold water drops to 1.6% (water temp 57-59) and goes up to 3.7% for water temps of 61-62. Now if you're being a clown keeping it out of the water for 10 minutes for photos to be a SOL/internet hero that'll change it.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Documents/crmortalityresearch.pdf 

Mortality doesn't have to be high if people learn to release properly. Hundreds of boats trolling up large bass on wire line in my opinion will kill a bunch. I'd rather error on the side of the fish and give them free passage while spawning.

One of the first lessons i learned in surfcasting is the importance of having a "landing plan"

Initially this was regarding jetty etitquette and safety but I have learned that this is a much more dynamic concept.

EVERYONE wants pics taken of their big beautifull bass when they stumble upon one and I have only witnessed 1 person be prepared for that moment.

It is imperative that you and your fishing buddies have a game plan for when those picture worthy fish roll through.

This is how I do it...

- When I see my buddy is bent pretty good get my plug in immeidately to give him/her room to fight the fish.

- I take out my waterproof camera/iphone and I take a few candid shots. (these are always the best photos)

- I snap a few shots of my buddy landing the fish, lipping the fish, fish in the water

- Buddy gets hand wet and poses with fish for the hero shot

- I snap 2 more pics of the release and then were right back into it.

The process from landing to releasing should be <1min (unless the hooks are jammed up)

Have a plan and communicate it with your buddies. This will reduce C&R mortality down to 1%-2%

On 2/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, crazybellringer said:

any time your perch fishing you have a chance of striped bass even in philly. I saw a catfish guy with a baby striper a week ago. :rav:

Stripers in the river!!! Let me get my hat!! Lol j/k hopefully sooner than later.

13 hours ago, adoboboy said:

There is a gulp bloodworm. The real ones work best.